ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-20-07, 10:57 AM
Contributor

Chicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really niceChicky75 is just really nice
Haven't been on these forums for a long time, for various reasons.

It's not exactly a new job, I've been here for almost 7 months now, but I finally got out of my horrible administrative office job and made a complete career change. I'm now an English as a Second Language teacher in South Korea. Between dealing with hyperactive or super tired kids all day, having a job that requires me to be moving around almost constantly and the added uniqueness of being in a completely different country, I've finally found one job that has enough stimulation for me.

My contract here is for a year. If I actually want to stay in this field and travel to different countries to teach or even go back to the US eventually to teach English to non-native speakers, I will have to get at least a Masters. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to do that after this contract is finished (at the end of October) or wait another year until I have some more experience.

"Life is more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt than a surprise party." (Mozzie, White Collar) (I wish I could remember why I thought this quote was so profound and related to ADHD )
Old 06-20-07, 06:56 PM
Forum Guru

Aizlyne will become famous soon enough
Now that I"m bacl from ireladn I"ve started working full time at a local water park. I do spray tattoos and make signage. And at the moment I"m helping design the park's kiddie cup. So far it's been going really well. I"m relieved to be working somewhere that I can use my skills a little.
THe ADD hasn't presened aproblem for me yet, except that sometiems I gte really impatient with thingslike letting pant dry, or not being able to finish a project in one day. I don't like to start somthing unless I"m completly certian i can finish it in the same day. But other then that i really like doing spray tattoos, and working outside.
The job situation is a little more stressfull this time around because my parents are cutting me loose from financial support slowly and I now have to pay for rent completly on my own. So far I"m making it, but barely. Here's hoping for a decent job after graduation!

~Unknown
Old 09-10-07, 07:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Woot!!!!!!!

Congratulations Aizlyne-how is the job working out for you? Are you back in school now? Miss ya!
My GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!
JOB INTERVIEW
at a major university just a few hours away from me. The job is an excellent match with my MBTI, MAPP, Strong, and Working style inventory/assessments.
  • change and variety
  • working to benefit others
  • strategic planning-big picture and the details
  • matches my Human resouirce development, guidance/counseling, training and teaching vocational interest scores with high artistic score related to fine arts as well as creatively solving problems and working with people.
  • Best of all, I still get to work closely with students-on a one on one basis
  • A big plus---I can move up the career ladder and improve my income-so leaving teaching is not so bad when I can now focus on career services-the area I discovered I love most of all in education-and the one thing that every student and soooo many adults wish they had access to for career and school planning!!!!!
Wish me luck on Friday-and thanks. Just making it through the search committee and getting an interview is motivating and an accomplishment! I am now energized and inspired. Thursday is interview prep day-and I have the perfect interview dress for success outfit!!!!! Pinch me-is this real?????

VI-
at least I have 3 days to calm down and think professionally!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 08:03 PM
Contributor

TeLL will become famous soon enough
GOOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
actually Might start a job soon!! it'll be the best paying job I've ever had, so I really hope I get it~ illl know by friday... i think

*pinch* good luck again!!! I'm sure you'll do great!!
Old 09-10-07, 08:16 PM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
You must be nervous and excited-I know how you feel-fingers and toes crossed and sending positive thoughts through cyberspace.... Congratulations and thanks for the pinch!
Old 10-10-07, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

CynicallyNaive has disabled reputation
Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

Well, I haven't been here in ages, but I guess I should celebrate having a new job after several months of freelancing/un[der]employment!

Eighth week..... tech work, which I like... pays more than I need to live on.

Now if only I can manage to not get so bored that I get myself fired. :-/
Old 10-10-07, 10:59 AM

maori_boy is on a distinguished road

good for u all. impresve jobs. b happy for havng jobs. therz job shortges were iam. and peple are darn lazy. heaps live on benefits espeshly my people.
i was wrkng 12 hours a week at da gas station but make more on gvrnment benefits and muny thru othr means.
ur jobs sound real good. howd u get ther?
Old 10-10-07, 06:28 PM

Great for you!!!! Congratulations!!!!!
Old 10-20-07, 08:28 PM

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

Wahoo!

I have a new part-time job. I already have a full time job, but have been keeping my eyes open for something fun.

I was just hired tonight for the "Lush" company who makes natural bath and body products!!

I'm just a bit worried i'll spend all of my paycheck there! I love it!

I start tomorrow at 8am to see the new holiday product!

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 11-23-07, 08:12 PM

Congratulations Chaos! Glad to hear you meeting your goals!
Old 11-24-07, 02:06 AM

Thanked 5,019 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, VI!

I really enjoy working there, it's so different from my "day" job. I'm hoping they'll keep me on once the holidays are done.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 12-11-07, 12:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

amnorvend is on a distinguished road

Got offered a job at circuit city today... The manager seems really awesome, but that's the subject of a different thread.
Old 01-05-08, 01:54 PM

martysguy will become famous soon enough

So happens I interviewed for--and was chosen for a business analyst position! I was called the next day! (NOTE: I interview pretty well--so well that I think maybe sales was my calling).

- Drew Carey
Old 10-19-08, 10:20 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough

I just started a new job, myself. I am an American Reads tutor. I am still in school and this was a part time job through the school. I love the children. They all need so much more attention than they get at home.

I work 3 days a week. Friday all day.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 10-27-08, 10:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Cowboy has a spectacular aura aboutCowboy has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

This thread caught my eye becasue I was just offfered a new job on Friday! Scared to death really but I hate my current job and things are a struggle there with ADD and all the responsibility. I am a teacher who stopped teaching a couple of years ago becasue of some health problems. My new job will be in a school but this time I will be doing crisis management wokring with Emotionally Disturbed children.

Thinking of teaching again and this is a good way back in to education. That was a struggle a well with the need to be organized... not really a strength. Anyone have any advice when it comes to teaching and organization?

Thanks for look'in...