ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 09-30-09, 12:03 AM
Jr Member

tako is on a distinguished road
Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

ok, this isnt really a new job. but over the summer my dad kinda forced me to get a job at the local auto parts store (probly a good thing. i havent gotten a job on my own yet. only had 3 tho). thanks to school tho right now i only get 4 hours every 2 weeks.

most days that i work i only have to deliver parts (those are the days that i love). but on mondays when the boss is there i actually have to help customers and answer the phone (man do i hate answering the phone). the delivering parts is fun because i only have to focus and pay attention for 5 or so minutes at a time.

my first job that my dad forced me to get was so boring. i had to work for 3 hours on nights and clean the store. it only took maybe an hour to do everthing that i was supposed to, so i ended up bored by the end of the night. i eventually quit because of a scheduling conflict

not yet diagnosed, hopefully i get to a doc for confirmation sometime soon
Old 10-17-09, 11:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

noodlzzz will become famous soon enough

I've got a new weekend job being a waitress. All those lovely table numbers, orders and who needs what is really fun for me

It's weird actually, when it's really fast paced and you have no time to stop from one customer to the next I can handle it quite well. I have a super fast brain and I barely get distracted or confused which is great. But when it's slow I'm all over the place.
Old 02-09-10, 04:38 AM

mpw123 is on a distinguished road

Started a job in a warehouse. First job that isn't retail. I love not having to behave around customers XD
Old 02-27-10, 12:26 AM
Forum ADDvocate

DotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really niceDotwithADD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotwithADD View Post
Sorry, I haven't been around much, lately...been busy because I got a new full-time 'paying' job. I had been working as a volunteer at one of the hospitals near where I live, and the day I had an interview at that hospital business office, I recieved a call of a job offer within one week of speaking to the HR director at a smaller independent medical practice. I even told him (when offered a job, it's okay to disclose your ADD/ADHD disabilities, or should I say, disABILITIES? Yes, I should)... about my ADD, hearing impairment, etc. I also asked him other questions that are important: benefits, job description, etc. (NOT vacation, etc.).. I am working in an Independent Cardiology Medical practice as a Medical Records Clerk. I have also been trained (still in training, of course) in the front desk/receptionist. I fill in for the full-time receptionist during her lunch hour. I also fill in for her when she's out of the office, usually for a day or two. It's been very INTERESTING.. But, I didn't think I'd like the front office/receptionist.. but I like it.. it's not my favorite job.. but it is part of the job, and I'm learning a lot.. the hard way, sometimes. But the office staff are very helpful in helping me learn the correct way to do my job and help others with their job. They know I have ADD and a hearing impairment so they try to help me understand the reasons for different aspects of my job, especially when it has to do with patients, other healthcare facilities, nurses, doctors, even pharmaceutical reps, etc... But, of course, our most important commodity are the patients. Anyway... it doesn't matter what our "challenges" are, it matters how we live with them. I refuse to use my "challenge" as a crutch or excuse to get what I want or work when I want.. Nooooooo sirrrrreee! I am and have always been a hardworker.. and don't plan to change that! I grew up learning to be a hardworker.

So, those of you who wonder if there is any hope for jobs for you, Yes! But it takes a lot of work (for us with ADD/ADHD, etc.) to get there. And once we achieve it, we need to keep at it.
Update.. I got laid off in November, but even though it wasn't medical office related, I began to work at Greenberg Smoked Turkeys again this last Holiday Season (Thanksgiving and Christmas) which ended Dec. 22. It was a seasonal job. I'm now looking for work again... I was hoping that I wouldn't have to look for work again and go through interviews again, also. But, nope... Oh well, it's back on the interview "saddle" again...

SUCCESS COMES IN CANS NOT "CAN'TS"

Dx's: ADD, OCD,and MILD DEPRESSION, and occasional generalized anxiety (minor)

Breast Cancer Survivor since 2005
Old 03-09-10, 08:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,907 Times in 4,070 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hi, I'm new.
After seven long years of unemployment and being rejected from countless interviews I have been given a work trial for a wedding photographer. I edit his photos. He lets me work at my own pace and when my mind is completely unfocused I can go home. But I still find it difficult. I loose concentration a lot and this job is about attention to detail and after lunch I've completely lost interest in what I'm doing. I still don't know if I'm doing my job right. The photographer says he wants the photos to look 'punchy' and I think his style look overexposed and over contrasted. He tells me to look at the Histogram but I can't read it at all.
I've actually got a few weeks off, which will give me time to rest. And when I come back in I suppose I should ask him exactly what he wants done, in very detailed step by step instructions. Otherwise I'm lost.
Old 03-09-10, 10:19 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't had a "job" in ages (don't ask, it's just a long sad story).

So . . . now that I am sliding headlong into 60 (come October) I've decided to start another business.

My track record with these things has been about 50-50, so this time I decided to do it right.

I applied for and won a slot in an Entrepreneurial program which really focused my attention on what and why I was doing what I plan to.

Meds are good, moods are stable, and the idea has merit.

So, I'm off to the races! And happily so!

(But please wish me luck, I can always use it!)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 03-09-10, 03:46 PM
Jr Member

rockystar000 is on a distinguished road

I graduated with a degree in Graphic Design in December and after two months of hunting i got a job...in my field at a web design company been working for two weeks and i love it...so exciting that i dont have to do crap jobs anymore...yeyyyyy
Old 04-17-10, 05:32 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice
Talking Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

Well it's not really a job/paid work, but I became a volunteer for Cats Protection today! I'm a Cat Cuddler Yep, you go in, whenever you want, and cuddle/make a fuss of the cats at the adoption centre! I am a huge cat-lover and have been meaning to get in contact with the centre for a while, I'm sooo pleased I've done it! The other volunteers that I met today are all lovely too

I've also been in touch with the local branch (which is still Cats Protection) and they need someone to help with their website, I said yes and they'll be in touch soon hopefully!

The cats are all gorgeous, I can't wait to go back there! I think it's pretty ADHD friendly too - I mean you can go in whenever you want to, so there's no such thing as being late And the freedom of it...if you've had enough, you could just go home! Not that cuddling cats would be the sort of thing to stress someone out/make them want to go home! :P
And it's perfect for my Aspergers too, because I don't have to worry about who I'm working with, because you don't have to work alongside anyone strictly, and either way, the volunteers I've met so far are all lovely people, mainly older people/adults with kids, so I don't think I'll need to worry about gossip/bullying and all that nasty stuff. I'm sooooo happy !!
Can't wait to go back and see my furry friends again

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Old 06-10-10, 08:58 PM

deladaisy is on a distinguished road

I've only ever worked customer service and I HATE IT. It literally sucks my soul out of my body. If talking about basic jobs I would rather work in a warehouse lifting things and only having to talk to a select number of people. But alas, I am a young girl with a bubbly and positive attitude so they stick me in the front of a store greeting customers and FOLDING CLOTHES. I don't even fold my own freakin' clothes!! hmph
Old 06-29-10, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

crazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nicecrazycat1990 is just really nice

Woohoo!!! I finally have a job again!!

It's at a cattery not far from me, it alos happens to be where the Pet Cemtery & Crematorium is where Poppy went in February But I only work at the cattery.

It's actually cleaning out the chalets they stay in, but once I've learned the basics I can do more and the pay goes up. I had a trial day on Saturday and really enjoyed it, it's hard work but at the same time it's not hard. I did pretty well and the lady who supervised me said I did very well and that I'm a quick learner So they were happy and gave me the job!

It's just Saturdays at the moment, then full-time from mid July-til the end of the summer when it's busy, then back to weekends. Perfect, seeing as I'm going back to college (as in sixth form college, not university) in September, to do the BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management I received the news I'd got into the college when I got back from the cattery so two lots of brilliant news in one day!

It's only 4 hours a day too so not too much, it's purrrfect!

"You laugh bec[color=Blue][size=1]ause I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same."

"Be crazy because there's no time to be cool."

"Don't follow in my footsteps, I run into walls."

Old 07-06-10, 10:08 PM
Contributor

AlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the roughAlexaN is a jewel in the rough

Guys, I found a new job!!!
A great one, so close to home and perfect for me professionally.

But now I am nervous.
I lost my 2 previous jobs due to depression outbreaks...and now I am afraid the stress or the expectations will freak me out again...
I am more balanced now, had 3 months off, going to therapy and feel better...but I did not work for a long time and have this fear I am not good enough or something.
Does it make any sense?
I am in this field for 9 years and they picked me...so why do I doubt myself?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Old 07-26-10, 06:25 AM

L.L. is on a distinguished road

I start my new job August 30th. I will be working as a copywriter for a major international corporation. It is my dream job (in that I get to write and be creative). It will also be the first job I have had since realizing I have ADHD.

(I'm writing more about it here: www.laboriousliving.wordpress.com)
Old 08-12-10, 03:58 PM
Contributor

bumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebe is a glorious beacon of light

yay~Iv held down my new job for a month now!

granted my lateness has been a topic of concern a couple times, but I'm on a week of being on time now.
Old 08-12-10, 06:39 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,817 Times in 817 Posts
Impromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond reputeImpromptu_DTour has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a job finally as a dishwasher! its a far cry from the engineering job i had before, but i have a watergun nah! ima shoot them plates kleen!

Its not much, minimum wage on the weekends but its covering my bills (though i still cant afford medication anymore), and i have my weekdays opened up for school So everything for the moment is proportionately taken care of.

I still get to master DJ demos as they come in to me, and work on random audio but its more probono for the sake of still doing it.

Plus when the cooks come back and give me hassle i can yell at them and tell them to get back in the kitchen an make me a sammich.

LOL!

I_DTour
Old 08-23-10, 03:48 AM

Laserfocus has a spectacular aura aboutLaserfocus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebe View Post
yay~Iv held down my new job for a month now!

granted my lateness has been a topic of concern a couple times, but I'm on a week of being on time now.
A week? Tell us more. I mean it is difficult. Good luck on making it too. Maybe this will help. I challenge you to get to work for five days early. :-)