ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 11-16-11, 05:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

Hey everyone, I got the job!!!

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pechemignonne For This Useful Post:
Anna3000 (12-15-11), Lady Lark (11-18-11)
Old 03-05-12, 09:13 AM

iBanker is on a distinguished road

Oh this is such a great thread!

Made the switch to private equity, will come back and provide updates on whether it was a good move or not.
Old 03-05-12, 10:31 AM

Thanked 29,477 Times in 13,584 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess, I've got a new job. It involves a lot of travelling and I'll have to stay for most of the time in what seems to be one of the ****tiest towns in the UK. In addition, the project seems to be in deep **** but that's ok. I'm looking forward to working on something new, even if it's a hopeless case. Besides, I've got no other choice. I could have had the perfect job if I'd just submitted my thesis on time but of course, I didn't. Oh well..
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ADDisme2010 (03-05-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-12, 06:50 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,471 Posts
silivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond reputesilivrentoliel has a reputation beyond repute

I got a new job... Not too recently, but in January... Not real excited about it, but it's a job nonetheless. So yay money?

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silivrentoliel For This Useful Post:
BR549 (03-06-12), Sapphire11 (12-20-12)
Old 07-25-12, 11:00 AM

mrrothadder is on a distinguished road

What is good book to read, or tips so I am less nervous in my new JOB? I start soon, and I do not want to be nervous at all. Also I want to brush up to do good at my new JOB.

What should I do, or how should I act at my new Job????
I suffer from jitters and nervousness and ADHD...

I do not want to annoy anyone or coworker or employees...
I will be working in IT Support (help desk)... I want to the best..

Thanks,
Old 09-05-12, 03:51 AM

Tristan Jay is on a distinguished road

For over a year, I've worked at a retail store, and it's been hell. The demand for environmental awareness, the difficulty prioritizing, coping with entitled personalities, it's been exhausting, and frustrating. The fact that I had difficulty readjusting my priority moment by moment, and wasn't able to cope with many aspects as well as I and my employers would have liked closed off areas of training for me. I was briefly trained as cashier, and almost completed the testing for it, but for some reason I was stonewalled when I took proactive steps to get my training finished. I got to the point where I would laugh or smirk derisively when a new manager or supervisor would ask about that and "see what they could do." After a certain point, I knew that I would never be trained beyond a certain point, and would never exceed my circumstances. So I've known for a while that my days there were numbered.

It just took an unbearably long time getting things going with the next thing. I tried to suppliment the retail work with my usual fallback of substitute teaching. But I could not make them work together, both of them were still too unreliable on the amount of hours they would/could offer.

So, I've returned to a profession I've had many years of experience in, and been reasonably successful at: Security. I don't think I've been phenomenally stellar, just very reasonably functional. It's helpful that tasks that are demanded are comparatively more narrow in focus (not like in the retail store, where all the items big and small are constantly in flux, stuff going out of stock, new stuff coming in to be stocked, product knowledge a massive data flow that always dramatically shifting around). And there can be a certain amount of reliable rote quality to some of the basic tasks. The emergency-oriented tasks are fairly well trained, and it's easier to respond to the occasional big emergency (much easier than all of the retail store's multiple micro-"emergencies").

I don't like having to wear a uniform, and my hours are a night time shift. But it will give my brain some space to take things easier (I hope). A couple of the security jobs I've worked at have had me stationed at a location making sure that people and equipment are authorized to go in or out of a manufacturing building. Long stretches of what most people consider boredom, but not for me with all that goes on in my head. If they tell me I'm not allowed to read a book, or draw (which I don't do anyway) that's okay, I'll just bring a notebook; I haven't encountered a situation where anyone thinks to tell a person they're not allowed to write in a work situation like this.

I wish I'd managed to get myself a better work situation than this, but at least it will be loads better than the retail job. I'm glad to finally be well shot of it.
Old 09-22-12, 07:07 PM

DeepDiveDave is on a distinguished road

Hello - I have been reading this forum for quite a while, but I have never signed up until today. I'm not exactly sure how to properly post yet, but I saw this thread and thought that it was the right fit. The short story is that I have been off of ADD meds since January 2012. I loved the focus that they gave me, but I always had trouble with the side effects,(Excessive bathroom breaks, sweating and dry mouth...)

Anyway, I started a new job in March as the manager of a high profile call center. It's a big job, but it's one that I can do on most days without taking meds. There is one aspect of the job that has already proven to be trouble for me however, and that's why I decided to register and ask this question.

The management team gets together each quarter for "Strategy Meetings". I have been to two of these meetings so far. They havent gone BADLY, but my presence in the meetings hasnt been as strong as expected and hasnt been up to the speed of my peers. Until now,the others have chalked my relative silence up to my being new, and still learning the ropes. I have my next meeting coming up again in a few weeks and I know that they will be expecting more from me this time. I am great at my job, but I am not an extrovert by nature. The rest of the team are extroverts and are always jumping up on the conference room table,(Figuratively), during these meetings to talk about themselves or what they have done over the past quarter.

I was always much more extroverted when I was on my ADD meds, (adderall XR and Vyvanse), and I felt that when I was taking the meds I was more of the person I WANTED to be or needed to be. I am considering going back on adderall XR just for these meetings in the hope that the meds will help me come out of my shell and be more likely to contribute to the group.

My concern is that this job doesn't know me when I'm on this medication, and that my new-heightened presence, talkativeness, sweatiness, dry mouth and frequent bathroom trips might raise red flags. An equal concern for me is that if I'm not more outgoing this time a different type of red flag could be raised...

Has anyone else had this problem before? Does anyone have any advice? Any feedback will be appreciated! Thank you
Old 09-23-12, 03:30 AM
Forum Guru

MX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud ofMX2012 has much to be proud of

DeepDive -- Can you make a list of accomplishments? I assume they are looking for the accomplishments made in your department and highlights. Make a list. Make a list of areas that need attention. Brainstorm with yourself on what information you think would be useful in the meeting.

Are you good with powerpoint? Do they allow presentations at the meeting? If so, put your lists into powerpoint and make a presentation that way they will have something to look at other than you. You will be, in essence, reading the powerpoint slides outloud as they appear. Hearing what they are reading -- adds texture and reinforces the information. Keep your list short. Try for a 5-10 minute presentation.

Plus, rehearse a bit, leave some stuff off the lists you present but that you have on your list, so when they ask questions you can fall back to filling in gaps with more information from your lists.

Add a quote at the beginning and end of the presentation -- either funny or thoughtful or even brash -- you can google motivational quotes.

Let your powerpoint presentation jump on the table.
Old 09-23-12, 09:11 PM

DeepDiveDave is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The "I Have a New Job" Thread

Thanks very much for your suggestions. These meetings occur over the course of 4 days, and I feel like this could help give me a lift for at least one day. Thanks again!
Old 10-10-12, 01:55 AM

addcolin has disabled reputation

I've just started doing some voluntary work for a neighbourhood trust. Designed to assist people to get Employment, and Enhance the Environment. Only get bus fare per week, but great satisfaction for helping in the community; doing little old ladies gardens, keeping beach access paths clear, etc. Helps me with 'getting out there' and building up that self esteem thing. . . Still early days, but suits me with the variations etc.
Tabbycat (04-01-13)
Old 10-12-12, 07:11 PM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future

The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
addcolin (10-13-12)
Old 11-09-12, 07:24 AM
Jr Member

deeph2o is on a distinguished road

About to start a new job on Monday in my "professional" career...leaving my old job since I was demoted due to the inability to start or finish my work. Good news/bad news here...finally decided to get diagnosed and now on meds which are helping with the procrastination. People at my last employer joked about my ADD even before I was diagnosed. I am hoping that I can start a new position without my coworkers figuring it out...any suggestions?
Old 11-09-12, 07:27 AM
Jr Member

deeph2o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDiveDave View Post
Thanks very much for your suggestions. These meetings occur over the course of 4 days, and I feel like this could help give me a lift for at least one day. Thanks again!
DeepDive...try rehearsing in from of someone you trust who understands ADD...even before I was diagnosed, I realized I had to do this because I would wander during the presentation/discussion and use up valuable time to the point where I would have been cut off.

Practice until you think you could do it from memory (but don't during the real presentation...for obvious reasons)

Good Luck.
Old 11-23-12, 06:38 AM

oddmanout is on a distinguished road

Crikey, I have no idea which post I'm responding to, but anyway, as it happens my trainwreck of a 'career' has taken me to a new gulag which I'll be weeping and gnashing teeth in on Monday...*shudder*...at least it'll keep me out of mischief until it comes to an inevitable demise ...I got bored a few nights ago and unwisely posted a few things on an Arab jihadist website...*gulp*...so, if you hear about a pest being hunted down and beheaded by an angry muslim mob that'll be me lol...

Um, good luck with your jobs peoples, may you fare better than I do...
Old 12-20-12, 02:24 AM
Jr Member

misunderstood84 is on a distinguished road

i just recently started my first nursing job. i have been working at this major hospital for 5 years while i made it thru nursing school. My ADD has been causing severe anxiety and impairment at work. I've been trying everything to keep it under control. My orientation is up in 2 weeks and it is evident that i wont be ready for the floor yet. My boss [who spoke with her higher ups] decided not to grant me an extension in orientation and feels i need a less acute setting etc etc. i know that isnt true but know that i am having a hard time and its partly because of my disability. i never mentioned the disability for fear of getting stigmatized. So basically my boss left me off at making a decision as to whether i want to resign or risk getting fired [due to my lack of timely progress]. i have to let her know by tomorrow. what would you do? do i have rights? PS prior to our last meeting this passed week, she placed me on final corrective action vs i resign. but i am officially on final corrective action. now it just whether i resign or ..?

Advice? What should I do?