ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TEENS AND YOUNG ADULTS WITH ADD/ADHD > Hangout
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Hangout A place for teens with AD/HD hangout and talk about what's on their minds.

Old 05-11-09, 11:07 PM
Jr Member

doghead is on a distinguished road
Re: Teen Roll Call!

wsup i msteve im 15 10th grade.... ADHD in middle school... i dont take meds only vyvanse sometimes and i do bad inschool w/o meds.. my mom makes me take them some days but im nervious about something if it would stun my growth. im 5'10 and not fully matured im like half way....
Old 05-14-09, 02:06 AM

Skibumm is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm Alex, from the US. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 15 and sometimes take meds. I think I will be taking them more as I go to college next year to help with grades.
Old 05-14-09, 07:57 AM

cherzle555 is on a distinguished road

hi! I'm Tina, from Portland OR, 17. I've not yet been diagnosed but I've been pretty gosh darn AD/HD for as long as I can remember, and I joined to see how others my age deal...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-09, 10:04 AM

dragonfyre2013 is on a distinguished road

Hey I'm Stephanie. I'm 20 (not technically a teen but not an adult yet either ). Currently being evaluated for inattentive ADD.... Been through 2 years of University. First went okay but 2nd year I basically had a mental breakdown halfway through the year from being super over frustrated and unable to study.

Not in school now so don't think I will medicate. Will evaluate the need when I return to Uni in the fall

Almost forgot... Winnipeg, MB, CAD

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
Old 05-28-09, 02:17 PM

tryingtosucceed is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Teen Roll Call!

Hey, I'm Cody. I am 16 years old.

Story Time!

All throughout my life (6yrs - now), I have always been a wanderer. I would start brilliant project, essays, articles with great ideas -- but never finish them. School has always been hard. I've been quiet in class because I'm afraid of what I say will sound stupid. I can NEVER concenrate on anything. Doing physics, for example homework is torture. Reading a book for English? Even worse. I tend to stick to newspapers and magazines only. I want to do something "new" every two minutes it seems. Argh!

I have friends -- but none are "close" friends by any stretch. I really don't know what to do. I just have this anxiety all the time -- always trying to succeed (hence my username) but never delivering on that. I've devoted myself to photography because I feel that I can channel communication better through that. I keep hearing that I'm really talented -- but I'd like more than just hearing that. I'd like to feel accepted. I want to speak out in groups. I want to be outgoing. I don't want to be that quiet kid in class who never talks -- and is labeled a weirdo because of it. I think my ADD has excaberated my social problems and my inability to focus and to feel accomplished for once.

I'm pretty sure I have ADD (inattentive). My mom doesn't believe in ADD, and thinks it's a discipline problem -- which infuriates me. She has no idea what it's like to live through this every day. My forgetfulness of doing chores and my quiet, isolated self has caused numerous fights between us. I finally convinced her to take me to our family physician. I'm going to our family physician this Monday for a "preliminary evaluation," whatever that means...

If my doctor determines I have ADD, will she immediately start me on Ritalin or Adderall? or will she just refer me to someone else -- further delaying the process? I do hope she puts me on medication. I don't know how I can take this anymore.

Yeah, so there's my emotional sob story. Please don't think I'm THAT emo. I just have ADD. I hope...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tryingtosucceed For This Useful Post:
itsanADHDthing (11-05-10), ktjn (06-08-09)
Old 05-29-09, 01:42 PM

UziDoesIt is on a distinguished road

i have many problems, i think drug abuse is my first problem. somewhere way down the list slight add is there. i think it helps define my personality. =]
Old 06-03-09, 05:38 PM

dragonfyre2013 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtosucceed View Post
I have friends -- but none are "close" friends by any stretch. I really don't know what to do.
For some reason my psyciatrist did not designate which type (inattentive, combined, hyperactive -> not sure if that's a bad thing or not, but that's another post ). I suspect I am combined.

Point is, I am in a similar situation friend-wise. I had many "aquaintances" in highschool and still do (I'm 20 now), but only 1 true close friend (other than my boyfriend). I think regardless of what type you are, being ADD puts you in a position of constant fear of disappointing other people, and it makes it very hard to make friends. Friends require trust, the ability to remember important facts, dates, relax and love eachother. All of this is very difficult to an ADD person since we have been told we are doing things wrong for a long time and therefore don't have much self-esteem.

My suggestion is to take baby steps towards speaking to people and in public - what you say sounds 100% stupider to you than it does to anyone else. We're all our own worst critics, but if you can't appreciate love and respect yourself how can you do that for others? I personally found that toastmasters really helped. I'm sure there's a chapter in your area.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
The Following User Says Thank You to dragonfyre2013 For This Useful Post:
ktjn (06-08-09)
Old 06-04-09, 05:51 PM

Saint Valentine is on a distinguished road

Hey all, I'm Ryland, I'm 15 and in the 10th grade in SC. I was diagnosed with combined ADHD in the 3rd grade, and I'm ashamed to say that I've been medicated so long that I sometimes forget how much all my symptoms affect, well, everything.
Old 06-20-09, 08:43 AM

Spaced_In will become famous soon enough

Hi, i'm Christie, i'm 14 and in year 9, i have ADHD and OCD, i was diagnosed with ADD in pre primary and i'm on dexamphetamine.
Old 06-30-09, 06:07 PM

Fuscienne is on a distinguished road

Too... much... inactiveness here!

My name's Alice, I'm 17 years old and from the Netherlands. I have not yet been diagnosed, but am almost certainly sure I have (inattentive) ADD.
Old 07-08-09, 10:24 AM

Location: Home: Philadelphia, PA - College: Purdue University, West Lafayette
rossragsdale is on a distinguished road

Ross, 18, going into college this fall. Have had ADHD since I can remember.
Old 07-23-09, 11:04 PM

melissab is on a distinguished road

hi, i'm 19, and from st. louis. i have had ADHD since i can remember, but i was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive only about 4 years ago. i am taking adderall 30 milligrams and it has changed my life.
Old 08-13-09, 07:42 AM

argentmerx is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone I'm Kaitlin, I'm 16 and I live in Washington state. I was diagnosed with ADD about a year and a half ago and I've tried a few medications ( though none seem to really be helping- sigh. ) Ummm, I love to read and listen to music, not sure what else to say hehe!
Old 08-15-09, 01:14 AM

repaired is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm Gabe. I was tested for AD/HD and was told that my functioning is too high for a diagnosis but that I have the characteristics and should think about using medication. So, um, I'm thinking about it. I'm 17 and from MA.
Old 08-23-09, 01:27 PM
Jr Member

Koric is on a distinguished road

Howdy!

I'm from Colorado, I'm 17 and in the 12th grade. I was diagnosed with Combined type ADHD about a month ago and am currently trying to figure out which medication will help me the most, but am trying Concerta.

Nice to meet all of ya'll here, I didn't know that my attention wasn't normal until my psych actually asked me how I've managed to live through my entire life without being diagnosed/treated.