ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-10-07, 01:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

Jackinbox is on a distinguished road
Question Pseudoephedrine works well, What should I do?

Pseudoepherine (Sudafed) is definitely the medication that work best for me. I'm much more concentrated, it improves my mood and give me a boost of energy. It's much better than ritalin, dex, adderall, etc. which are almost useless to me.

The problem is that I expect tolerance to develop very fast and I might have some issues with my sinuses if I use it for a long time. The longest use I did was about 5 days and I have the feeling that it was enough to build up tolerance. Anyone used it for longer than that?
Old 01-14-07, 09:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all
Yeah the CNS effect develop rapid tolerance but the SNS effects do not.
I used L-ephedrine in college to stay awake (I had no concept I might have ADHD that was a condition hyper kids had not me! )
Old 01-15-07, 01:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Monitor your BP.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-07, 07:37 AM

lovemytiel is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize it could effect my ADD. I have to take it often because of my allergies.
Old 01-20-07, 12:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Huh? has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackinbox
Pseudoepherine (Sudafed) is definitely the medication that work best for me. I'm much more concentrated, it improves my mood and give me a boost of energy. It's much better than ritalin, dex, adderall, etc. which are almost useless to me.

The problem is that I expect tolerance to develop very fast and I might have some issues with my sinuses if I use it for a long time. The longest use I did was about 5 days and I have the feeling that it was enough to build up tolerance. Anyone used it for longer than that?
Haha... the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Only problem is it wore off too quick and I almost fell asleep at work.

"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office."
-Robert Frost
Old 01-20-07, 01:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 16,928 Times in 7,971 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Sudafed has always put me to sleep - most antihystamines and decongestants do that to me.
starry (01-11-13)
Old 07-23-08, 08:03 PM

garrett74 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pseudoephedrine works well, What should I do?

I haven't tried psudoephedrine but what I can tell you that works well is Dextrose, which is what is used in sugar free sweeter. It is actually the sweet part of sugar that has had the calorie part removed. What it does, being my speculation is, it thins the blood allowing for quicker brain activity. Dextrose is also the same thing as glucose like they use in the medical field.
It only takes about ten or so spoons full, and the effect lasts for a long time. I suggest trying 8-10 spoons, then waiting about two hours or so, because it takes that long before it starts taking effect, then see how that is. The only problem is if you take too much at one time it can make you feel bad, so you will want to try 8-10 spoons first, then increase the dose to see. If you take too much it will also leave you scatterbrained a bit, which is uncomfortable, but not really a big deal.
My speculation contradicts most of what I've read about ADHD, keep in mind that the Dr's who have speculated on the cause and effects of the medications through the years most likely don't have ADHD themselves. My speculation is that the brain doesn't process thoughts fast enough, and it is actually a problem with over production of thoughts, and the stimulants simply speed up the brain to reverse the problem. One reason that lead me to this was I have had a prescription of Hadol before and it increases dopamine, and it does quieten ADHD down a bit, but it doesn't have a positive effect on memory.
I actually tried the Dextrose to see if there was any relation to Dextrose and Dextroamphetamine, and at first I thought there was because of it's stimulating effect. Dextrose is not only the sweet part of sugar, it's also the 'amphetamine' in sugar, the part that makes people without ADHD hyper. I don't know if it is a true amphetamine but you get the point anyway.
Again, if you take too much it has negative effects, and I have no idea what all other negative long term effects it might have, it's basically sugar with the protein removed, and as long as you don't take too much it's actually remarkable defiantly a stimulant, and at low doses is much cleaner than psudoephedrine as far as being jittery, ect.
The Following User Says Thank You to garrett74 For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-11-13)
Old 07-23-08, 09:55 PM

garrett74 is on a distinguished road

I thought that I should add that you don't want to take more after the first, because if you don't wait until it wears off it can make you light headed.
Old 09-22-08, 05:06 PM

whitestripesfan will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Pseudoephedrine works well, What should I do?

HI i am new to this forum, and found your post very interesting, i have suffered from severe depression for many years, and only recently have begun to suspect i may have inattentive form of adhd. for a couple of years i have self medicated with sudafed liquid (pseudoephedrine) as it made me feel so much more energised, and i found myself able to cope with things that felt impossible before. however i have recently begun to feel more and more ill,but feel i am addicted and am having trouble stopping, i was quite concerned when i saw your post and felt i needed to warn you of the dangers, as it is so difficult to give something up that makes you feel normal. i sincerely hope you can find healthier solution for your adhd. kind regards whitestripesfan.
Old 09-22-08, 08:27 PM
Contributor

Contrapunctus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGarrett View Post
I haven't tried psudoephedrine but what I can tell you that works well is Dextrose, which is what is used in sugar free sweeter. It is actually the sweet part of sugar that has had the calorie part removed. What it does, being my speculation is, it thins the blood allowing for quicker brain activity. Dextrose is also the same thing as glucose like they use in the medical field.
It only takes about ten or so spoons full, and the effect lasts for a long time. I suggest trying 8-10 spoons, then waiting about two hours or so, because it takes that long before it starts taking effect, then see how that is. The only problem is if you take too much at one time it can make you feel bad, so you will want to try 8-10 spoons first, then increase the dose to see. If you take too much it will also leave you scatterbrained a bit, which is uncomfortable, but not really a big deal.
My speculation contradicts most of what I've read about ADHD, keep in mind that the Dr's who have speculated on the cause and effects of the medications through the years most likely don't have ADHD themselves. My speculation is that the brain doesn't process thoughts fast enough, and it is actually a problem with over production of thoughts, and the stimulants simply speed up the brain to reverse the problem. One reason that lead me to this was I have had a prescription of Hadol before and it increases dopamine, and it does quieten ADHD down a bit, but it doesn't have a positive effect on memory.
I actually tried the Dextrose to see if there was any relation to Dextrose and Dextroamphetamine, and at first I thought there was because of it's stimulating effect. Dextrose is not only the sweet part of sugar, it's also the 'amphetamine' in sugar, the part that makes people without ADHD hyper. I don't know if it is a true amphetamine but you get the point anyway.
Again, if you take too much it has negative effects, and I have no idea what all other negative long term effects it might have, it's basically sugar with the protein removed, and as long as you don't take too much it's actually remarkable defiantly a stimulant, and at low doses is much cleaner than psudoephedrine as far as being jittery, ect.
Dextrose is simply dextrorotary glucose, and it is most certainly a sugar, thus not making it a likely candidate for "sugar free" sweeteners. Also, it does not thin the blood. Aside from being dextrorotary, d-amphetamine and dextrose have absolutely nothing in common. Also, there is no "protein" in sugar.

Some artificial sweeteners, like those containing aspartame, do actually have some pharmacological properties (l-aspartic acid, phenylalanine), but these effects are probably insignificant.

Haldol is a potent dopamine antagonist, and does not increase dopamine levels.
The Following User Says Thank You to Contrapunctus For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-11-13)
Old 09-23-08, 12:58 PM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about

Does anyone know where one might find sudafed with pseudoephedrine? It seems they've replaced with with sudafed PE, which doesn't contain any pseudoephedrine.
Old 09-23-08, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Behind the pharmacy counter and you actually have to show your driver's license and sign a paper. It's easier to get dexedrine than sudafed (well, considering the dex is prescribed and sudafed is "over the counter"). Geesh. Anyhow, that's because meth-cookers extract the "goody" from it to make meth.
Old 09-23-08, 01:51 PM
Contributor

Grey Kameleon has a spectacular aura aboutGrey Kameleon has a spectacular aura about

Maybe those people have ADHD. lol

I had never thought of psuedoephedrine as a potential medication, but I do know people who have used ephedrine, or something like that, either recreationally or for academic purposes.
Old 09-23-08, 01:59 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

justcallmedorie has a spectacular aura aboutjustcallmedorie has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Kameleon View Post
I had never thought of psuedoephedrine as a potential medication, but I do know people who have used ephedrine, or something like that, either recreationally or for academic purposes.
I hadn't either, but now that I think back to my earlier years, I had a LOT of sinus problems and practically ate sudafed like M&Ms. Might be why I was functional in my teens, 20s and 30s...(have only recently been dx'd, but mom swore I should have been on meds as a child). Hmmm, definitely food for thought. At least it's worth knowing if I happen to run out of dex at an awkward time. Many of the pharmacies around here are familiar with me buying sudafed due to aforementioned sinus happiness.
Old 11-14-12, 12:48 PM

geezee is on a distinguished road

I started taking Zyrtec in the morning to get me going. it seems to work better than Psuedophed alone because the Cetirizine HCI has a slight calming effect allowing you to focus better and counteract the twitchy effect of psuedophed.

Lol my dad takes them in the morning now too
The Following User Says Thank You to geezee For This Useful Post:
425runner (07-11-13)