ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-07, 07:22 AM

Dan_77 is on a distinguished road
Hyperfocus help

Just some more questions on hyperfocusing for those interested...

Can hyperfocusing on an activity become addictive? Is this mostly because the activity is causing hyperactive brain activity and such a feeling is like a high?

What stops people that can hyperfocus from going into a hypOfocus? and then perhaps a Manic type of focus? (this is a really hard question)

Final question - Is the trick to hyperfocusing to change your environment (or thought process) to improve the flow BEFORE you hyperfocus.
A simple example; You want to draw a box with a curve in photoshop.
Wrong way - Open photoshop planning to learn how to use the arc tool and draw the shape.

Right way - Learn how to use the arc tool first. Then when you feel like hyperfocusing you will have improved hyperfocus.

Just a simple example, but I am trying to figure out how I can use hyperfocusing to help with things like social anxiety.
Old 01-12-07, 07:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,165 Posts
~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold~boots~ is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_77

Just a simple example, but I am trying to figure out how I can use hyperfocusing to help with things like social anxiety.
good idea Dan

CHINESE PROVERB
Old 01-12-07, 07:46 PM

mcovey is on a distinguished road
Definitely. Ever since I was young I've been only able to hyperfocus on computer consistently. Usually learning a new programming language or when programming, but even when just tinkering around with new programs or games.
I find this by far to be the most useful trait of my ADHD, but if I were hyperfocusing on something less productive or harmful... I wish I could do it with books, too, I can never finish a novel unless it's really really good. I can hardly finish the cliffs notes lol
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-07, 08:26 PM

Dan_77 is on a distinguished road
I think the main reason we can't finish a novel is because our brains interpret the overflow of activity as wasting time (or not being productive).

It is difficult to maintain a lower level of brain activity in order to stay in flow the what we are reading.

What we need is a book which is in flow with our individual levels of hyperactivity.

This is why I think wikipedia is such a good source for people who can hyperfocus. I can't read a book about social anxiety, but I can read various wiki pages about social anxiety, maslows hierarchy of needs, CBT etc.

Have others had the same experience?
Old 01-12-07, 10:35 PM

mcovey is on a distinguished road
Dan - I hear you about the books. Unless a book is truly entertaining to me, I lose interest because I'll look for the alternative like cliffs notes.

I was always told growing up that I was lazy and taking the easy way out