ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-07, 12:52 PM
therealme? therealme? is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: houston
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
therealme? is on a distinguished road
neu-be-calm?

Hey!
I'm totally new to the site, so bare with me. I've been on adderal for almost 10 years, and have decided that it's time to ween off the meds. I've lost my quirkiness that used to define my personality. I'm irritable, short tempered (all the side effects) and have finally decided that I don't want to live this way. I've found a site that is advertising this supplement called neu-be-calm. There are NO reviews only a warning from the FDA. Has anyone tried it? Has anyone tried the liquid vitamins that are supposed to help. Any suggestions? I already work-out, eat well.. blah,blah,blah.
Thanks!
  #2  
Old 01-18-07, 04:00 PM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 211 Times in 82 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Neu-B-Calm'd is a fraud...don't waste your money.
  #3  
Old 08-03-07, 11:22 AM
minniemae minniemae is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
minniemae is on a distinguished road
I tried it on myself for about 3 months. I couldn't tell any difference but my hair started falling out more.
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 08-03-07, 12:43 PM
FrazzleDazzle's Avatar
FrazzleDazzle FrazzleDazzle is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DazzleLand, AZ
Posts: 4,221
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 938
Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
I wonder why your hair started falling out Minniemae???

I wouldn't go so far as to call B'calm'd a fraud. It is an amino acid supplement, and is designed to support and increase dopamine and seratonin production. A new poster here, Kilogic, had a good response to it. Probably because his dopamine levels were low to begin with, which is a common finding with ADHD individuals who can get their levels tested, or who tries the amino acids and get a good resonse. B'Calmd may not be the cheapest way to go though, and taking an amino acid supplement can be a very tricksy endeaver. There's a science to it, and a process to avoid the trial-and-error of finding the right ones the right mix for an individuals particular brain chemistry.

Many individuals do have a great [med-like] response to the amino acid therapy, so if you are interested in that route, there are ways to go about it.
__________________
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
PhotoGallery
  #5  
Old 08-03-07, 01:20 PM
Sargon Sargon is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO USA
Posts: 347
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle
I wonder why your hair started falling out Minniemae???

I wouldn't go so far as to call B'calm'd a fraud. It is an amino acid supplement, and is designed to support and increase dopamine and seratonin production. A new poster here, Kilogic, had a good response to it. Probably because his dopamine levels were low to begin with, which is a common finding with ADHD individuals who can get their levels tested, or who tries the amino acids and get a good resonse. B'Calmd may not be the cheapest way to go though, and taking an amino acid supplement can be a very tricksy endeaver. There's a science to it, and a process to avoid the trial-and-error of finding the right ones the right mix for an individuals particular brain chemistry.

Many individuals do have a great [med-like] response to the amino acid therapy, so if you are interested in that route, there are ways to go about it.
Agree. Do you know of any good books on the topic? I'm having success so far, but I'm just making it up as I go along. I'd like to avoid as many pitfalls as possible.
__________________
"If we had some ham, then we could have ham and eggs. If we had some eggs."

Doctor Seuss Haiku
  #6  
Old 08-03-07, 01:33 PM
FrazzleDazzle's Avatar
FrazzleDazzle FrazzleDazzle is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DazzleLand, AZ
Posts: 4,221
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 938
Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Yes, Sargon, I got my start from Erik Braverman's book, The Edge Effect. He has clinics where part of his treatment plan is amino acid therapy. My sister in law got me started thinking about it, she has done Braverman's protocol for her particular profile, and likes the results.

We did the neurotransmitter urine testing thruogh a provider in our area that has an account with NeuroScience labs, so that we would bypass the hit-miss factor. Got the results back a few days ago, and they recommend a protocol as well. Doing one thing first to balance things out, re-test, then if okay, adding in things to support the levels. Seems really easy to do it this way, it was really overwhelming to try to figure all this out on my own! :-)
__________________
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
PhotoGallery
  #7  
Old 08-19-07, 02:30 AM
sweets_3000 sweets_3000 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweets_3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
With all due respect, crazyfeet, it seems as though you are quick to judge things as "frauds" that are not prescriptions, but I don't think this is truly beneficial for people who are seeking different types of treatments unless you post some factual information supporting these claims. I have two friends who swear by Be Calm'd...don't you realize there are different types of add and different body chemistries? Some people may like a treatment that didn't work for you. Unless you can explain why something is a fraud, I have a problem with you throwing out these blanket statements. What if that is someone else's miracle treatment? You did the same wth the Feingold diet thread, but from what I've read there is a percentage of people who respond to the diet. It would be fair to post that it doesn't work for everyone, or to suggest doing research. But its not fair of you to just strike things down like that.....there are many dangers to the prescription meds, and if someone can find a non-prescription alternative that may work for them, I'd hate for them to be discouraged because of your blanket statements. You are a moderator, and I think you have to be more careful about doing that because your statements hold more weight.....even when you may just be thinking that you're just sharing a harmless opinion like anyone else....I think you're held to a higher standard than that.

Just my opinion.
  #8  
Old 08-19-07, 05:24 AM
Crazy~Feet's Avatar
Crazy~Feet Crazy~Feet is offline
Guest
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sunagakure
Posts: 20,958
Thanks: 0
Thanked 211 Times in 82 Posts
Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...5&postcount=16

From the Feingold Diet Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I do not have problems with alt approaches either. It just so happens that when it comes to me and mine? I prefer cold, hard. scientific facts and nothing less will please me. A diet that could potentially harm my kids goes right out the window in that case.

I know there exist 20%ers who are unable to attain any benefits from any known medications and I support them in their use of alt therapies.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...0&postcount=37

From the Hallucinations Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
That being said, I also happen to believe that everybody ought to do whatever it is that works for them. I have an analogy for you regarding this and all approaches that may work for anybody at all, ok? I have said this many times and I am sure I will say it again.

From the Positive Experiences With Dore Thread:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...68&postcount=4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEFORGOT

Kudos should go to livinginchaos, Crazy~Feet and meadd823 for their attentiveness to your threads, concern and the focus to help it work for everyone's benefit.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...83&postcount=5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle
Thanks LivingChaos, CrazyFeet, and Meadd823 as well. All the behind the scenes stuff to keep it all together and on track is very much appreciated
Quote:
You are a moderator, and I think you have to be more careful about doing that because your statements hold more weight.....even when you may just be thinking that you're just sharing a harmless opinion like anyone else....I think you're held to a higher standard than that.
INCORRECT.

While I am a moderator now, I was not always a moderator, and now that I am one? All my older posts appear to have been made by a moderator, although that is not always the case.

Furthermore, I am not only a moderator...I am a member of ADDF, a very active one, and when I post...unless I am posting for the specific purpose of moderating...I am posting as a member on equal footing with every other member of this forum. I am sharing my opinion, exactly like anybody else.


When I wish to have someone's advice, I am clearly outspoken enough to ask the person directly. I am also free to accept or reject unsolicited advice as I see fit...just like every other member here.
  #9  
Old 08-19-07, 08:55 AM
FrazzleDazzle's Avatar
FrazzleDazzle FrazzleDazzle is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DazzleLand, AZ
Posts: 4,221
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 938
Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Did anyone notice that the OP just made the one post then left? I always think it odd when that happens, and it seems to set alot of folks off, (myself included) and may be why the post and the product did not get much positive attention. It just seems like NBC sent someone over to toss out the product name for advertising purposes. Would an established poster here say the same thing and found it helpful, this thread may have received a totally different response, because the poster is someone whom we have already estabished a rapport with, and it would be known that thier information was coming from a different perspecitve and motive.
__________________
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
PhotoGallery
  #10  
Old 08-19-07, 09:10 AM
meadd823's Avatar
meadd823 meadd823 is offline
Super Meowaderator
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: address unknown
Posts: 20,532
Blog Entries: 36
Thanks: 6,563
Thanked 14,701 Times in 5,817 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets_3000
You are a moderator, and I think you have to be more careful about doing that because your statements hold more weight.....even when you may just be thinking that you're just sharing a harmless opinion like anyone else....I think you're held to a higher standard than that.
In her opinion she is offering help, if she sees this as a fraud then telling others it is in order to prevent them from being ripped off is being helpful. You can disagree but please do not be disagreeable , it isn’t really necessary.

Obviously you did not feel obligated to agree with her because she is a moderator why should she be obligated to agree with you because of her status. Meaning her status is relevant when it comes to the ADDF guidelines but she is still entitled to her own opinion just as you are. Using some one status to make your point is hitting below the belt {IMHO} and is a pet peeve of mine.

When it comes to ADD and the various treatment option we are here as your peers not as experts. Please respect us in the same manner you want to be treated by other members here on ADDF because we are other ADDF members who volunteer our time to help the site run as smoothly as possible . . . . we enforce the guidelines our opinions are our own.



Hmm speaking of guidelines and being a moderator . . . .


The topic is becalmed – I rather agree with frazzled if you are going to invest in a supplement then I believe that investing in some knowledge about your own body would be in order. After reading her post about her son I became kind of interested in what my results would be. Neurotransmitters do effect our brain which effects our behavior and well we do need to have the right stuff to make the neurotransmitters. I was surprised at how much information she got out of his testing. She made her point when it came o the omega-3 taking he right mixture does make a difference. If be-calmed isn't the right mixture then you could be throwing your money down the toliet.


I began having irritability problems a few years back and I too have been on ADD medication for over a decade now When went for my yearly check up I mention this to my regular doctor {different than the one who does my ADD medications} he mentioned that as a woman it may be my changing hormones that is causing my new onset of depression symptoms. I have never suffered clinical depression like severely but I have had a couple of bouts in the past. Apparently as we become older those of us who had some tendencies may actually be more prone to things like depression{yippee just what I wanted to hear} After speaking of this with my ADD doctor I found I was irritable because I was experiencing some depression ,


I do not do well with antidepressants of any kind so they were the last thing I was willing to take. I spoke with my sister who doesn’t do well with antidepressants either she was on omega-3s so I tried them and they seemed to help a little. Then frazzle told me about the different types of omega-3s and the variations of formulas they have. Thanks to her information I was able to purchase a better brand that works a lot better and has relieved much of my depression. I do take prescription medication but I also think supplements can be an excellent addition to my treatment and when medications are a non-option many have found some relief in various alternative treatments . . . I am a hard sale but I a not an all or nothing person by any means.
__________________


Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
  #11  
Old 08-19-07, 09:25 AM
meadd823's Avatar
meadd823 meadd823 is offline
Super Meowaderator
 

Join Date: May 2004
Location: address unknown
Posts: 20,532
Blog Entries: 36
Thanks: 6,563
Thanked 14,701 Times in 5,817 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Did anyone notice that the OP just made the one post then left? I always think it odd when that happens, and it seems to set alot of folks off, (myself included) and may be why the post and the product did not get much positive attention. It just seems like NBC sent someone over to toss out the product name for advertising purposes. Would an established poster here say the same thing and found it helpful, this thread may have received a totally different response, because the poster is someone whom we have already estabished a rapport with, and it would be known that thier information was coming from a different perspecitve and motive.
Frazzle I did notice there was some of the

Quote:
I've lost my quirkiness that used to define my personality. I'm irritable, short tempered (all the side effects) and have finally decided that I don't want to live this way.
kind of statements that will tend to set off those whose very lives depend upon persecution medication to function. Many if not most of us who have ADD also suffer from other conditions that effect functioning. For some medication is not an option but a necessity which is the driver behind their perspective IN truth we really only know our own perspective according to our experiences.

I think you have a valid point Frazzle and the fact that this seems to be a ht and run topic maybe Crazy~Feets comments were not all that off to begin with. I did notice there was no hyperlink to an advertising site and no one had to edit the post so I do appreciate those who hit and run reading the guidelines before doing so. I also believe the productivity of this thread can be turned around and the information made useful for those who may come upon this thread in the future.
__________________


Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
  #12  
Old 08-19-07, 12:48 PM
sweets_3000 sweets_3000 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweets_3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Meadd, what are you talking about??? I mean, how is it so disagreeable for me to say "respectfully, I think...." and to say that I think as a moderator her comments carry more weight for people? If you don't think they do, then I think you aren't really being realistic about what positions of authority do. You can't deny that most people consider a moderator's comment as being one they may have researched, or generally as holding more weight. I know I sometimes do. Its not even always a conscious thing. Even in that little post about how the moderators are selected, it said that they are thought to be MORE KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THE SUBJECT FOR THE FORUM THEY ARE MODERATING. Everyone knows that too, and for that reason there is a responsibility.

The bottom line is....to just say it is a "FRAUD" with no supporting information, I think, is not fair and not responsible. The second bottom line is that I said " I THINK....'' and shared my opinion, and said that i was doing it respectfully to set the tone. I guess I"m confused as to how you missed all of that" You also said that i needed to respect moderators.....Now THAT sort of made me mad because I was in NO WAY disrespectful. I want you to quote for me what was disrespectful. I said that I THINK moderators are held to a higher standard, and i'm not talking about what the rules state per se, I mean an unspoken standard. Like a basketball player...its no where in his contract that he is a role model for kids....but HE IS and is held to a higher standard in certain behaviors. So posting the rules had nothing to do with what I'm talking about...I mean the unspoken reality that there is a position of authority there, and comments striking down a treatment should be supported in case it may help someone ELSE EVEN IF IT DIDN'T HELP THAT MODERATOR.


Again I don't think my post was disagreeable....it was a disagreement with something, but not disagreeable. I know adhd makes people sensitive sometimes, and maybe without having people present in front of us to hear tones of voice we may be even more likely to misunderstand context, but I think we have the responsibility of really reading things to determine if it is truly being said in a disagreeable manner.

I did it myself the other day, and went back and re-read the post, and posted an apology before the other person even responded, because I felt that was my responsibility.
How else could you tell someone what you think they''re doing isn't right?

Also, again, the problem is the blanket statement "ïts a fraud, don't waste your money"" and then that's it. I mean, so, why is it a fraud????? And the thing is..its NOT!!!!! IT works for some people because it has amino acids that adjust levels of neurotransmitters JUST LIKE THE PRESCRIPTIONS DO!!!!! That is a fact. Actually, I myself have tried some of the amino acids included in Be Calm'd and experienced great success for depression, and am currently conducting research to find out what I need to take for my add.

Things like that can discourage people, and most people I've seen who strike something down include some sort of information, so that they can actually help the person make an informed EDUCATED decision. NOt just "It's a fraud....bye, have a nice life"". I'm sorry but my opinion still stands.
  #13  
Old 08-19-07, 01:02 PM
sweets_3000 sweets_3000 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweets_3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I also have another question for Meadd....when you say that statements like frazzle's where she is sharign that the meds are causing her problems tend to "Set off people who take prescriptions"", what are you saying? Are you implying that its improper to make those sorts of personal statements about what you've been through just because it may cause someone else to second guess their own treatment? I don't think I must be understanding you correctly, because to imply those statements are dangerous or somehow harmful really begs the question.
  #14  
Old 08-19-07, 04:19 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Andrew Andrew is offline
The Guy Behind the Curtain
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 13,182
Thanks: 221
Thanked 1,860 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
This thread has strayed afar from its original intent.

The thread is being closed. Members that wish to start another thread about "neu-be-calm" are welcome to do so, but members are asked to stay on topic, or they may have their posts edited, removed or the thread closed.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealme?
Hey!
I'm totally new to the site, so bare with me. I've been on adderal for almost 10 years, and have decided that it's time to ween off the meds. I've lost my quirkiness that used to define my personality. I'm irritable, short tempered (all the side effects) and have finally decided that I don't want to live this way. I've found a site that is advertising this supplement called neu-be-calm. There are NO reviews only a warning from the FDA. Has anyone tried it? Has anyone tried the liquid vitamins that are supposed to help. Any suggestions? I already work-out, eat well.. blah,blah,blah.
Thanks!
__________________
The end is near...I don't have time to shoe shop for Andi!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am having a full blown panic attack and cannot calm down Nucking_Futs Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 35 02-21-09 09:39 PM
Calm Your Nerves & Combat Anxiety Andi Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 4 05-10-07 02:41 PM
My 7 yr. old son says he wakes up calm gnataly Adderall 22 08-22-06 08:08 AM
Attend, Focus ADHD Formula, and Calm Child? morphosis Misc Treatments and Approaches 1 05-17-06 02:18 PM
Trying 5-HTP... Making me too calm? Sweetpea25 General Medication Discussion 5 04-27-06 01:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2014 ADD Forums