ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-07, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Member

Miriam is on a distinguished road
Trouble remembering directions?

Anyone else have trouble remembering how to get places? I can ride somewhere in the car several times with someone, but when I have to drive myself, I couldn't figure out how to get there for anything. I figure it's because I don't pay attention well if I don't have to drive. But even when I drive myself, if directions are hard I'll have to use written directions over and over.

Since I started Strattera, it seems better. I can remember series of turns to take or names of streets better. But it's still like I don't remember SEEING all the places on the trip. I can't call the picture of what I saw before back into my mind. If I pay attention really hard, I might do a little better, but I still feel doubtful and uncertain.

For a while I was taking flying lessons. I basically flunked out because my instructor would give me directions on how to fly the pattern based on visual cues (face that set of mountains, turn left over that big clump of trees, etc). I couldn't recognize the sight of the airport until I was within almost inches of it, and I always had a hell of a time finding my way home, even though if I was over what should look like familiar territory.

Is there a name for this problem? Is there something I can do about it? This is my biggest ADD hangup-- it makes me feel less ADULT and less CAPABLE (e.g. I love the outdoors but I don't want to go backpacking where trails aren't crystal clear because I'd probably get lost). My goal in getting treated was to get past all this stuff. Please help!
Old 02-07-07, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
I don't know if there is a name for it but definatly speak to your doctor about it. I read that there are things you can do to help this. Do crosswords and sudokus. I read that this can help with memory. You may even have a LD (learning disability). Get checked out for it. If it does turn out you have an LD, it may be the reason for why you have some of these issues. Definatly see your physician tell him whats going on and get a referal for further testing. It can't hurt even if you are "normal"...
Old 02-07-07, 02:40 PM

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
It sounds like you are one of those people who remembers a path/trip by Landmarks, not physical turns in direction. (Me too.)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-07, 04:22 PM

Alicat2 is on a distinguished road
Me too!!! It often takes two or more times before I can remember how to get someplace new without referring to directions. It is quite embarassing to be driving someone somewhere and they ask you, "where are you going?"
Old 02-07-07, 05:35 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
i kept coming up on the turn to our street *way* too fast. i often ended up driving around the long way after missing the turn.
my husband always knew just when to start slowing down.

after about a year (!) of this, i asked dh how he knew when to slow down.
he said, "i just start breaking when i see the red barn."

the red barn in question is *huge*, the only red barn on that road, and as far away from the road as a lamp post.
i kept missing the turn because i didn't see the road. the barn was in the way....

it also doesn't help that numbers of any kind slip through my mind like water through a sieve. and cardinal directions just leave me confused.
"take hwy 63 until it intersects with hwy 151. then turn south."
to me, that sounds like all the adults in the Peanuts cartoons.
"wah wah, wah wah wah."

so, i don't have a solution, but, i can definitely relate!!!
Old 02-07-07, 06:01 PM

Parafly is on a distinguished road
G
P
S

seriously though, I am usually very well spatially oriented. Problem for me is that when I hear people give directions I usually tune out in the middle of their directions and start thinking about something else. Then I say, yah, I heard all that and drive off but I wasn't even paying attention.
Old 02-07-07, 09:58 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
If I need to remember how to get some place, I actually need to drive it myself. If I'm not driving, or if I am, but there is someone else in the car giving me directions, I will not remember the way. I also remember paths to destinations via. landmarks. It's easier for me to process that way as I don't have to be paying very much attention... once I'm in an area, the deja vu sets in... usually waking me up out of my dream... I don't have to be paying attention continuously to road sign text.

Giving directions to others is just as difficult for me. I have to draw maps... explaining in words is challenging.
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 02-08-07, 12:24 AM

MeGgHeAd is on a distinguished road
And Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl
It sounds like you are one of those people who remembers a path/trip by Landmarks, not physical turns in direction. (Me too.)
I'm alot like this too! I learned to navigate around Vancouver as a child, even though I've never lived there, just by looking out the window while my parents were driving. Daydreaming and often restless yes, but constantly map-making in my mind.

There wasn't much else to do in the car (reading was impossible), so I guess I stimulated myself by hyperfocusing on all the cool things in the big city that we didn't have in the little town I grew up in. Like fancy bridges, overpasses, tunnels,.... buildings over 5 stories high. And gosh, what about the Skytrain, the Expo 86 Dome - now Science World, BC Place Stadium, The PNE Roller Coaster!! It was fun to be a kid. Still havn't lived there but have absolutely no trouble getting around Vancouver and all of its suburbs.

So I'm a little different from you in this way Miriam, but ADD affects all of us so very differently. I don't think that there is any name for this in particular, you just don't have as strong of a sense of direction as some people. Interesting about the flying though, I've flown so little (never at the controls either), that everything from above makes almost no sense to me! My perception from up there is all wonky.
Old 02-08-07, 02:14 AM
Contributor

motorbrain is on a distinguished road
I listen to directions. Try to scrawl them down. Then wing it and eventually get there. If I'm really worried about it then I do the internet map thing. Print it, read it, forget it on the coffee table and wing it anyway. Sure makes life interesting.

"I didn't know there was an ocean this close!"
- me

Me (1975)