ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-07, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

prurigro is on a distinguished road
Kratom for ADD

kratom is an unscheduled plant whose leaves are available in many health food stores and on the internet-- I'd heard it had enjoyable relaxing effects similar to opiates and small stimulating effects at the same time (a lot of people take it for opiate and stimulant withdrawal), I wanted to try some on my dexadrine holiday over spring break just to see how it might help add

The results are fantastic, its not powerful at all like stimulants and it doesn't make you sleepy like opiates-- I found myself calmly enjoying house work and being able to focus almost as well as stimulant medication, usually my state of mind is racing but on this I feel very calm and relaxed. I've been reading school work and I haven't been frusterated or found myself thinking of something else (not reading the words as I "read") yet-- basically what dexadrine does for me

anyway, I I'm not exactly sure its method of action, but people might want to consider trying it on holidays for their actual meds or possibly as a short term replacement when you dont have any. I know its addictive like stimulants if taken too often, but if taken here and there it seems quite beneficial -- any thoughts comments or similar experiences ?
The Following User Says Thank You to prurigro For This Useful Post:
RMHGordon (05-28-09)
Old 02-20-07, 08:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
honestly, I never heard of it. Thanks for mentioning it...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 05-28-09, 09:53 AM

RMHGordon is on a distinguished road
Re: Kratom for ADD

I've been using Kratom for about 2 years now and can share my experiences:

Kratom leaves contain mitragynine:

In small doses its activity is reported to be stimulant like, while in higher doses more opiate like. These effects agree with the profile of mitragynine's actions developed by study of its action on the brain. It has been shown to be adrenergic (like some related alkaloids from yohimbe) at lower doses while at higher doses mitragynine acts on the mu and delta opiate receptors. The mu opiate receptors are responsible for the enjoyable effects of the opiates, analgesia, and physical dependence. Its potential for treating drug addiction, perhaps in combination with ibogaine, is being investigated. It is orally active.

Mitragynine itself acts primarily via μ-opioid receptors, although its oxidation product mitragynine-pseudoindoxyl, which is likely to be a major component of kratom that has been aged or stored for extended periods, acts as a fairly selective δ-opioid agonist with little affinity for μ or κ receptors.[2] Another alkaloid with a major contribution to the μ-opioid activity of the kratom plant is the related compound 7-hydroxymitragynine, which while present in the plant in much smaller quantities than mitragynine, is a much more potent μ-opioid agonist

It is legal in every country except its country of origin and Austrailla. I'm the inattentive type, so for me it really only helps me "feel" better like an opiate would, but I do get spurts of happy/productive energy with very high doses. Now that I think about it, hyperactive types might find it beneficial.

I'm reading now that its being used in Russia for treatment of opiate withdrawl, which I can totally understand. You may read that Kratom can become addictive, but I've not encountered that aspect of it in the last couple of years. I'll order 4 oz. of 10x at a time, and it will only last me 4 days, so it becomes an expensive alternative. The effects last for up to 4 hours or so, and I've never slept better after consuming an ounce throughout the day.

There are many different varieties, some are just junk, while others are really potent. Stay away from the resins, capsules, and leaf, and seek out the powedered, standardized (5x, 10x, 15x, 20x) versions. The worst side effect is its taste! Like dirty sagebrush!

Oh, by the way, the naitives to Thailand have been chewing kratom leaves for about the last 1,000 years, there have been no reported OD's in the US from the use of this product, and its not Salvia! (There's an effort now for the ban of Salvia in the US, and they want to throw Kratom in as well)

Last edited by RMHGordon; 05-28-09 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 10:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,464 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

I'll add that nausea is a frequent side effect, which usually goes away when laying down. It is expensive though and it does taste horrible. The best method is to make a concentrated tea so you don't have to drink a big glass of the nasty stuff.

Physical dependence comes on quickly.....after a week or two of continuous usage, you will suffer withdrawal when you stop.....so be very careful.
Old 07-27-10, 10:24 AM

ADHD Nurse will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Kratom for ADD

Hi. I'm taking Adderall with good success, but am interested in taking Kratom as a healthier alternative. However I can't find any stores that sell it. How do you buy it and why is it so hard if it is legal? How do I know a reputable website? Thanks ADD NURSE
Old 07-27-10, 10:48 AM

ADHD Nurse will become famous soon enough

Hi, I'm on Adderall 10mg tid with pretty good success, but would like to try a healthier alternative for "holidays". Do you know a good way to purchase Kratom? Only can find in on-line and that way can be sketchy...don't want to throw away my money...I live in MA. Thanks anyone who can hellp! ADD Nurse
Old 08-22-10, 01:58 AM

super1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD Nurse View Post
Hi, I'm on Adderall 10mg tid with pretty good success, but would like to try a healthier alternative for "holidays". Do you know a good way to purchase Kratom? Only can find in on-line and that way can be sketchy...don't want to throw away my money...I live in MA. Thanks anyone who can hellp! ADD Nurse
Hi... there are many online vendors for kratom, and I agree that some can be sketchy. Avoid any that use bad marketing techniques like claiming kratom to be some type of legal high. If anyone purchases it for that reason, they'll be very disappointed. Also, I'd avoid any headshops that sale it, as in my experience, its of lower quality and ridiculously expensive when compared to the more reputable online shops.

I am part of an online store that sales kratom, and we offer samples for those that are curious and don't want to spend much. My store is http://www.entheofarm.com

(Please remove my website if its against forum rules. We do have a very reputable shop, and I thought it would be helpful to post here.)
Old 03-22-11, 09:44 AM

mindfulness is on a distinguished road

I started taking Kratom to help ease the transition of coming down from my Adderall at night. For me (and apparently others), Kratom works amazingly well for this.

After a few months, I found myself taking Kratom and Adderall together. This had a positive effect and seemed to make the Adderall more effective.

As I soon learned, Kratom can be very addictive, especially if taken over a lengthy period of time. I've been using Kratom now for over two years and am having extreme difficulty abstaining from it. Although I don't take large amounts of the stuff, I must have it every day, sometimes twice a day. I've spent thousands of dollars purchasing it and rarely have any money.

If you feel you are prone to addiction, as can be the case with ADD people, please do some research before going the Kratom route. As they say, "all in moderation," - but somewhere along the line I slipped up an am dearly paying for it. Not only is my pocket hurting, but my memory, motivation and physique have declined as a result of prolonged usage.

Just wanted to share that bit of wisdom for what it's worth. I'm going to eventually get off this plant - It won't be easy, but I really look forward to getting my life back together like it was before I got involved with it. Please be careful!
Old 06-22-11, 02:57 PM

GreenThumb is on a distinguished road

I use Kratom as an alternative to opiates for pain and found its added side effect was controlling adhd symptoms when i was trying to lower my cannabis tolerance (in CA, have doctors rec, its legal and it works). Problem is that CB1 receptors turn off selectively as to not overwhelm the brain with thc, which becomes an issue after years of use regularly. The only way to combat this is less use to get stronger effects... hence the kratom. I will post more about other topics, but this was one close to my heart
Old 08-06-11, 07:13 PM

ericl123 is on a distinguished road

Kratom probably helps with ADD and focus mainly because of the increase in dopamine levels. I believe I read that dopamine turns into norepinephrine. Kratom is actually a sedative by nature. Once you become accustomed to regular use you will no longer get the feeling of determination. Your dosage will go up and you will become just sedated and euphoric. It's not FDA approved so I don't recommend it, but even if it was FDA approved I would still not recommend it. It's addictive and expensive. I know a lot about this topic so take my advice. Using incense more than twice a week is bad.
Old 09-12-11, 12:41 AM
Jr Member

samson smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD Nurse View Post
Hi. I'm taking Adderall with good success, but am interested in taking Kratom as a healthier alternative. However I can't find any stores that sell it. How do you buy it and why is it so hard if it is legal? How do I know a reputable website? Thanks ADD NURSE
Kratom is known as Mitragyna speciosa. kratom are very glossy, dark green color, and which can be distilled into a thick extract for medical treatments. There are many places available online in these days where you can find herbal and nutritional remedies. kratom is also available in medical stores. You can take help of Google search engine that gives information of the best place where you buy kratom.
Old 09-29-11, 03:10 PM

mortalzilla is on a distinguished road

I joined this forum specifically to comment on Kratom use. I would strongly advise against it. I have used Kratom for roughly 4 years now and I can tell you from firsthand experience (and the observation of others) that the plant is very addictive. Incidentally, I also have ADD - but can't say that I've ever used Kratom (or anything else) to treat it. Kratom MIGHT help for 2-3 hours, but (with regular use) the tremendous cost you will pay in terms of health, money, time and depression FAR outweigh any positive effects you will see. If you are considering trying Kratom, do yourself a favor first and google "kratom withdrawal", "kratom addiction", "kratom hell" or any variation thereof.

I have been trying to stop using this plant for almost 4 years now - the longest "dry" stretch I have had was maybe 3.5 months. The withdrawals are awful, as in 5 straight days of SEVERE depression and restless legs horrible enough to prevent sleep completely for the first 4 or 5 nights. I have heard it said that they are worse than opiate withdrawals, and while I haven't experienced full blown opiate withdrawal, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is true.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this plant is currently legal, it is very dangerous. I brought my predicament on myself (I take Kratom because I like the sensation, not out of any perceived need), I would hate to think that one would unwittingly put themselves into my shoes while simply trying to deal with their ADD.

Just read the thread and wanted to offer my .02
The Following User Says Thank You to mortalzilla For This Useful Post:
SweetCode (09-29-11)
Old 09-29-11, 04:06 PM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold

Tried kratom recently and honestly I really didn't like the effects, I felt hyper and uncomfortable the whole time , one thing I really notice was that I had some pain in my leg and that disappeared during kratom effect.

On my body it fells much more like a recreative drug than a medication, of course the experience vary a lot for each person and strain, maybe I am hyper sensitive.

And as mortalzilla said don't be tricked by the "legal plant" status , it's a really strong medication.

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
Old 09-29-11, 10:28 PM

mortalzilla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCode View Post
Tried kratom recently and honestly I really didn't like the effects, I felt hyper and uncomfortable the whole time , one thing I really notice was that I had some pain in my leg and that disappeared during kratom effect.

On my body it fells much more like a recreative drug than a medication, of course the experience vary a lot for each person and strain, maybe I am hyper sensitive.

And as mortalzilla said don't be tricked by the "legal plant" status , it's a really strong medication.
I agree that it is more of a recreational thing. It's almost indistinguishable from taking a few vicoden, though I have heard others say that it does have some pain relieving qualities.

The one exception to my "recreational" comment is kratom's use in weaning off harder drugs. I know that it has been used successfully for coming of opiates as strong as heroin due to its ability to mitigate opiate withdrawals (which is neither here nor there in the context of this discussion, but figured I'd mention it).

Anyhow, just wanted to warn others to be sure to do their research before trying it out, it's an exceptionally sneaky drug that bears serious consideration before use. I'd prefer to have never heard about it myself.
Old 09-30-11, 06:05 PM

johnsanders11 is on a distinguished road

I'd have to disagree. I've used it for several years w/ great results. I know some others who bought what they thought was kratom but was in fact other things. If you do want to take it make sure to use a reputable vendor and not one of the fly by night sites that are popping up left and right.

I guess like anything else, each person reacts differently too it.

Last edited by peripatetic; 10-07-11 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: removed link and sentence for post consistency