ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-21-07, 08:36 AM

LucPA is on a distinguished road
Adderall then lamictal added = weak?

Ok, here's the scoop - I gave up my longtime doc cuz I moved from the Northeast US to the Southeast. I found a doc that is willing to keep me on my (apparently odd) adderall RX, 20mg 20mg 10mg 5mg IR daily... I also have been taking klonopin .5mg 2x a day in conjunction in order to combat some hypomanic effects from a bipolar diagnosis that isn't very severe, but can be exacerbated by the adderall...

So, for some reason this doc doesn't like klonopin (we spoke briefly about it, so I didn't get a great read, but it seems as if she wouldn't normally RX it) and added Lamictal to the cocktail. I asked why, and she said it would probably be more effective than klonopin which isn't usually used for BP (which is a crock, but whatever). Of course, include the fact that I'm actually doing really well now, and I'm plenty stable enough, adding a new med is slightly odd. I *did* however agree that I wouldn't mind eventually getting off of the klonopin as (subjectively speaking) I believe it may cause some issues in storing long term memory (generally memories from the time period I have taken it are a little fuzzy and harder to recall, however memories prior to that period are clear, although this is acceptable due to it's nature of working well).

Ok, so now you have the background. Here's the here-now. I'm on my second day of Lamictal (yes yes, it hasn't reached peak plasma blah whatever) using the step up titration pack that she gave me, and I know without a doubt that my adderall isn't working as well as it has in the past. I feel less alert and will lose my train of thought quite more often than I have previously.

I know a standard answer is to talk to a doc, which I will at my next appointment, but the information I'm here for is this - Does anyone have personal experience with this combo, specifically having Lamictal ADDED to a regimine containing adderall (not lamictal first then adderall) and how did it effect you? The other question being is it just the side effects of the lamictal (that tend to go away with time, I suppose) that might be causing this interaction or are they genuinely incompatable (or at least not very complementary). I couldn't find much information on the latter.

Thanks for reading my babble, and any help in advance.

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
- Master Yoda
Old 02-21-07, 08:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
It sounds to me like the lamictal may be canceling some of the effects of the adderall. Like the lamictal is mildly sedating so the sedating effects reducing the stimulating effects of adderall. One easy thing I can suggest is to speak with the doctor is about samples of a slight higher dosage of adderall. That might help these first few days on the lamictal. Once you stablize on lamictal you may be able to resume your current adderall dosage. Of course, I can be wrong and be jumping to conclusions, so make sure to speak with the doctor first.

Best of luck...
Andy...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 02-21-07, 12:25 PM

LucPA is on a distinguished road
I appreciate the comment. That was my initial thought as well, although now that I had to leave work early, I think I know what was happening...
Apparently the racing thoughts and inability to concentrate was indicitive of the hypomania that it caused. I ended manic to the Nth degree mostly dysphoric, although with a few moments of euphoric mania (not much, kinda like quick breakthroughs of madness)... I don't know if this is because of the combo of the two meds or from starting on the Lamictal, but unfortunately I can't afford to go through any effects like this at my workplace...

I guess its back to "well enough alone". Thats what I thought in the first place.

Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.
- Master Yoda
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-07, 12:52 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
I go on and off of Lamictal depending on my episodes which are more mixed state in nature or agitated depression but the primary agent that I use for a stimulant is Dexedrine. My schedule with dexedrine is 20 mg, 20mg, 20 mg, 10 mg, 10 mg, 10mg per day(90 mg per day) I was on adderall and that drug was miserable for me. Dexedrine takes care of a lot of the mood issues I have too it is just when it comes time for myself to go "black" needless to say the lamictal tends to be needed I stay on 25 mg at least and go to 150 mg if needed with the Lamictal and I guess in my case given that the hyperactivity is just that and Manic episodes are exclusive to SSRI's with me so I may be a poor reference.
Old 02-21-07, 05:45 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about
I feel your pain. I was on 60 mg of adderall, then started the lamictal (using the orange titrate pack - my doc wanted me to do morning and evening dosing instead of the way it tells you on the package). I noticed a difference with the effectiveness of the adderall with the lamictal right away. I stayed the course with lamictal hoping that things would change. Once I got to 200 mg a day of the Lamictal, I had vertigo and cognitive difficulties. It was so weird, that freaked me out enough to say F-this on the Lamictal, and I made the decison to stop the drug (w/o consulting my doc first, he was none to happy with me at my appt. after that).

Ayway, don't let the doc dope u up on all sorts of drugs if that not what you wnant to do. Those drugs (lamictal etc.) have serious side effects. I am saying you should stop the lamictal, if you do call the doc first. You may need to up the adderall dose or try a different dosing schedule.

I also take klonipin as needed for anxiety and sleep issues.
Old 02-21-07, 06:15 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
I can agree that for me using Lamictal short term on a "per episode" basis per say is the extent of which I find it useful. Most of the year I take just plain old Dexedrine tablets. Those alone are the best medication for me.
Old 02-23-07, 02:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

poe171717 will become famous soon enough
this worries me a little b/c I am currently taking 200mg of lamictal a day for the ADD, but haven't been able to find a stimulant yet that works. I wonder if it's b/c of the lamictal? my dr wants me to try adderall xr next, but i'm concerned now that it may not be as effective as it could potentially be w/o the lamictal.
Old 09-19-09, 11:37 PM

lilmisssunshine is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall then lamictal added = weak?

Hello everyone!

I am new here and hope to be an active member =) I also take adderall 20 mg twice a day and lamictal 100 mg twice a day. I read the forum about not eating acidic foods and I was wondering if it was okay to keep taking the meds while doing the master cleanse diet (also called the lemoade diet) it's a detox to get rid of all the bad toxins in your body and the first time i did it i still took my meds and I was fine. I wanted to start the cleanse again but now I'm worried that it won't be good for my body. Any suggestions or advice? I would greatly appreciate it =)