ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-07, 10:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
I need advice

My husband is Bipolar and takes Prozac and Lamictal. For the past few days he's been confused,obsessive,slightly manic and sleeping alot.

Last night at 3:00am I caught him taking Vick's 44 for a cough he has. I asked him how many days has he been taking it, he said he'd only taken 2 doses over the past few days. The bottle was full and it's now empty !

I read on the back people taking some psychiatric meds. for depression or mood stablizers should check with Dr. before taking.

I said something to him about maybe he shouldn't take it and he snapped at me so I dropped it. When he's like this I know it's best to not push.

He already drinks way more coffee than he should 10 cups a day or more !! He knows he shouldn't but you know how that goes.

My husband isn't all that good with his illness.

Am I right to worry and I'm I right his recent behavor maybe due to the cold med. ?

Thank you for any advice
Old 02-21-07, 11:45 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Hey FasttalkingMama...

Well let's see here...

About the cold meds...it's possible, one way to find out is a quick call to the pharmacy and check wiht the pharmacist on duty...they can tell you. I always call them when I take something new with my Lamictal esp.

I know my family all just went through the flu at my house..and it seemed everyone wanted to OD on the cold meds...just to stop feeling miserable.

I know how crabby BPD's can be....LOL....esp if we are slipping into the depressed crabby side....and if the cold med is counteracting...well that might be the case.

Well the coffee thing..I can be quilty of....it's a bad habit..and you have to wonder if part of it is we just have a really hard time giving up that whole euphoric manic thing....just a thought...or perhaps he is just addicted to coffee........

Well most BPD's are hard cases....it unfortuantely goes with the diagnoses.
And it's right for you to be concerned, of course you love him and want to see him healthy. And of course there can be dangerous repercussions of us going off medication. However, we also have to be responsible and want to be well. You can lead the horse to water, so to speak...but you can't make them drink.

Hang in there, please keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children