ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-03-07, 04:49 PM

dee.ana is on a distinguished road
Question Does Adderall speed up your metabolism?

well the title's pretty self explanatory lol
i've heard that adderall speeds up your metabolism..
is this true?
Old 03-03-07, 07:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

JustinL is on a distinguished road
Yes. Simply put, Adderall speeds up central nervous system, thus your metabolism is included in that.
You burn energy at a faster rate when putting a stimulant substance in your body.

Amphetamines cause glycolysis, which is when stored sugar (energy) is released into the bloodstream for use. This is what causes many people to "crash" at the end of the day when taking adderall. That is if they do not eat enough throughout the day...
Its important to keep your blood sugar level up to avoid the hard comedown.
Old 03-03-07, 07:45 PM

Universal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL
Yes. Simply put, Adderall speeds up central nervous system, thus your metabolism is included in that.
You burn energy at a faster rate when putting a stimulant substance in your body.

Amphetamines cause glycolysis, which is when stored sugar (energy) is released into the bloodstream for use. This is what causes many people to "crash" at the end of the day when taking adderall. That is if they do not eat enough throughout the day...
what about dexdrine, would that boost the metabolism too ?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-07, 08:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

cloud1 will become famous soon enough
I just started Adderall on Tuesday at 10mg IR. I have been eating normal and I can swear I have already lost about four lbs. Not complaining . I haven't been exercising either. Usually I have a slow metabolism but this week it is very fast.
Old 03-03-07, 10:04 PM

MomTo5Monkeys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL
This is what causes many people to "crash" at the end of the day when taking adderall. That is if they do not eat enough throughout the day...
Seriously? You mean that all of my hours of research about the CRASH (for me, horrible headache and irritability) and it's as simple as a matter of blood sugar levels?

Being that our appetites are significantly decreased, can you give an idea of how and what to eat (maybe even an example of a schedule) so that sugar levels can be more even? I would give anything to rid myself of the crash symptoms and see if the Adderall really can benefit me from a focus standpoint...
Nick, Dakota, Emily, Katie & Noah
Old 03-03-07, 11:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

Well first off, diet is not the *only* contributing factor to the crash...when we take adderall, it releases stored dopamine and norepinephrine into our brain's synapse, and prevents the reuptake of the two as well. But only for a while...when that wears, you feel the effects of withdrawl. -low dopamine levels- this is what is responsible for depressive, moody, unstable behaviors. So here is where your diet can definitely play an important role.

read on...

You want to focus on eating slow digesting carbohydrates. Three reasons: 1. Adderall depletes glycogen (ie. sugar, ie. carbohydrates) stores in the body...you want to keep your levels as stable as possible...
2. Slow digesting carbohydrates will provide you with the fuel you need when coming down from adderall, therefore you wont become overly lethargic or anxious--like many tend to be when Adderall's effects begin wearing off.
Lastly 3. Carbohyrates are a natural way to elevate dopamine levels, which is what you are going for because when Adderall wanes, your dopamine (and norepinephrine) levels fall greatly.

Slow digesting carbohyrates are whole wheat, grain foods - wheat pastas and bread, oatmeal, etc.

Stay away from *processed WHITE sugars, or highly fattening foods.- with the exception of nuts. Nuts provide the body with important Omega-3 fatty acids, and that is very beneficial, especially when on Adderall.

Hope that helps a bit. Keep researching...there is never to much to learn.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustinL For This Useful Post:
mochi (05-12-08)
Old 03-03-07, 11:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud1
I just started Adderall on Tuesday at 10mg IR. I have been eating normal and I can swear I have already lost about four lbs. Not complaining . I haven't been exercising either. Usually I have a slow metabolism but this week it is very fast.
Theres no doubt to that...Personally, I have no problem at all eating PLENTY on Adderall, but I still lost between 5-10 pounds off my already thin body. Ive been on 20mg/day for almost a year, and my weight doesnt budge, no matter what I eat.
Old 03-04-07, 08:58 AM

Justin - what about higher protein? Protein helps to stabilize blood sugar on a pretty even level, right?

Just have to translate everything I read to fit my system, since my stomach/plumbing is no longer "normal" ...
Old 03-04-07, 10:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Yes protien is essential as well. Lean meats, chicken, protien shake powders/formulas, etc etc. There are plenty of good sources out there.
It will also aid in preventing muscle atrophy/breakdown, because Adderall can cause this overtime. Many people loose a lot of muscles maas/strength when taking stimulants, which is why protien, as well as weight training is very important. Any kind of exercise that keeps your muscles active is a good thing when taking these meds.
Old 03-04-07, 01:04 PM

When spacing out my IR doses (currently 2 per day) - is the goal to get that 2nd dose before I "dip too low" from the 1st? I currently take them approx. 4 hours apart and do start to feel the onset of the headache when it's time for that 2nd dose...

Don't mean to hijack the thread -
Old 03-04-07, 01:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
It is sympatho-mimetic which means it affects (stimulates) the Sympathetic Branch the Central Nervous System (or, 'CNS').

The suffix '-Mimetic' means 'Mimicking'. So, it *mimics* the action of chemicals which -=stimulate=- the sympathetic branch.

(The other sub-branch of the CNS, which works opposite to the sympathetic system is the Parasympathetic Branch; that system allows things such as digestion, relaxation, etc. to occur.)

It also affects the part of the Hypothalamus which controls Hunger. The Hypothalamus regulates the "Four F's" (Feeding, Fighting, Fleeing and ... well, you can guess the other F-word verb). There are two Regions responsible for regulating Hunger: a Hunger area and a Satiety (or, "Fullness") area.

If you lesion (destroy) the Hunger area in a rat's brain, he will not eat. If you lesion (destroy) the Satiety area in a rat's brain, he will NOT STOP eating.

(And our brains are very much like rat brains, except that we have more sophisticated and elaborate cerebral cortex. That part regulates our abstract thinking abilities. It is the most recent and highest cognitively functioning/planning part of the brain.)
Old 03-04-07, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
re: Mom

Stimulants should speed digestion and increase bowel motility and bladder function.... I think this is what you may be alluding to.

I've noticed this with myself too. Immodium is my friend. :X
Old 03-04-07, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl
re: Mom

Stimulants should speed digestion and increase bowel motility and bladder function.... I think this is what you may be alluding to.

I've noticed this with myself too. Immodium is my friend. :X
LOL Whoops, I shoulda clarified I had gastric bypass surgery, so I no longer have a stomach with acid (bile) and a considerably shorter intestines (the 1st part of the intestine is removed, which is where most of our absorption of food and medicine occurs)....So it does make things like this a *wee* more difficult -
Old 03-04-07, 03:14 PM

thinkdifferent has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo5Monkeys
When spacing out my IR doses (currently 2 per day) - is the goal to get that 2nd dose before I "dip too low" from the 1st? I currently take them approx. 4 hours apart and do start to feel the onset of the headache when it's time for that 2nd dose...

Don't mean to hijack the thread -
you might want to try taking a half tablet every 2 hours. that may smooth out the peak & valleys - especially since you've had gastric bypass & everything goes through you a little quicker.
Old 03-04-07, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkdifferent
you might want to try taking a half tablet every 2 hours. that may smooth out the peak & valleys - especially since you've had gastric bypass & everything goes through you a little quicker.
Now THAT is a very interesting thought....