ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-05-07, 04:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

HardyHar is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR Insurance co-pay is too High!!!

I started on 10 mg Adderall XR just last week. I got my first month free with a coupon but I am dreading getting a re-fill. I found out that my insurance co-pay is $55 !!! That is more than I am willing to pay. The Adderall XR is not part of our formulary but the IR is and will only cost $15. I have not talked to my doctor yet but I am considering asking to be prescribed Adderall IR instead. However, I wish there was a way I could stay on XR but be able to afford it.

If anyone has any advice on how I can get Adderall XR cheaper I would appreciate it. Remember, I am in the United States and it must be legal! Don't tell me to call "this guy I know" in Australia!!

Well, this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!

Read about my treatment progess here
Old 03-05-07, 05:23 PM

hermitian is on a distinguished road
I don't know your financial situation but $55 a month is about $14 a week or 2 bucks a day. If you really prefer the XR, are there any of life's extras that you can do without so that you can swing it? (Starbucks, cable, movies, etc.)

BTW, if the co-pay is $55, I'm guessing the only way you could get it cheaper outright without a subsidy is if it fell off the back of truck.

Good Luck,

SteveM

P.S. Unfortunately, life is not always fair. Sigh...
Old 03-05-07, 05:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
I don't know about this but maybe they make a generic form of Adderall XR that might have a cheaper co-pay?

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-07, 05:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDer is on a distinguished road
Hardy, I feel ya, but don't you think the extra $40 is still worth it if it helps mitigate the affects of ADD on your life?

In terms of lost productivity and missed business opportunities, I know that - at least for me - the ADD (and/or whatever bunch of other issues I have) has already cost me a lot of money and will become a serious indirect financial burden in the future. There's no price tag on getting healthy.. especially not in that price range. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it does seem a little unproportionate to be thinking that, of all things.

New to the board, but not to ADD, although it did take me a long time to seek treatment.
Old 03-05-07, 05:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

You are right... I could afford the $55 but we live on a pretty tight budget. Normally, that money would go toward a utility bill or a student loan payment so I don't like put it toward medicine if I don't have to. I am always looking for a way to save some money and I am ticked that my insurance sucks when I pay the premiums I do. If there aren't any other options for getting the XR then I will ask my doctor to try me on the IR and see how it works. If the XR is the only thing that will work for me then I will fork over the money but I want to explore my options first.

Old 03-06-07, 09:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

Any suggestions out there or should I just suck it up and fork over the dough?

Old 03-06-07, 10:52 AM

kirkuleez is on a distinguished road
HardyHar,
I just resumed medication myself, and was prescribed the XR, and I also must pay $50 copay for this med. I was quite upset about it, but let me tell you, I was on Dexedrine IR about 13 years ago when I first was diagnosed, and I really liked it. I had no problem with taking a pill twice a day, morning and afternoon. It has a more immediate effect which makes it seem, for me, that it is working better. Another benfit is that the IR can be split in half with a pill cutter, so that if the dose is too small, but twice as much is too much, a dose and a half may work better. Anyway, I forked out the $50 this time cause that's what the prescription was for, but I am going to ask my doctor to prescribe the IR next time. Hope this helps.

Kirkuleez
Old 03-06-07, 01:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks, Kirkuleez. I may talk to my doc about trying th IR but if I have to I'll pay the $55 if the XR works better. I'm sure the benefits will outweigh the costs in the long run...

Old 03-06-07, 02:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
I wish you the best of luck on your medication trials...

Andy...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 03-06-07, 03:59 PM

MomTo5Monkeys is on a distinguished road
Because you have private insurance, you would not qualify for Shire's Rx Assistance program (If approved, you only pay $5/month for the full Rx) - HOWEVER, you would qualify for a Rx Discount Card. Go to www.pparx.org and choose your medication. Then answer the series of questions appropriately and it will take you to a final page telling you the few options you have - a few of them will be free Rx Discount Card programs.

The other option is something that I saw the other day - http://freemedicinefoundation.com/application_form.html I haven't read up on it much, but you can see if it might be an option for you.

I get so urked when people tell me that I might be able to "cut this or that out" in order to afford _______ (fill in the blank) - and I'm not at all referring to whomever said that above , so I'm not going to say that to you - however, I will remind you this: If it were for your child, and it were a medical necessity, you'd find a way - your health is also that important. You will find a way - just don't go w/o it if you truly need it!
Nick, Dakota, Emily, Katie & Noah
Old 03-06-07, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo5Monkeys
Because you have private insurance, you would not qualify for Shire's Rx Assistance program (If approved, you only pay $5/month for the full Rx) - HOWEVER, you would qualify for a Rx Discount Card. Go to www.pparx.org and choose your medication. Then answer the series of questions appropriately and it will take you to a final page telling you the few options you have - a few of them will be free Rx Discount Card programs.

The other option is something that I saw the other day - http://freemedicinefoundation.com/application_form.html I haven't read up on it much, but you can see if it might be an option for you.

I get so urked when people tell me that I might be able to "cut this or that out" in order to afford _______ (fill in the blank) - and I'm not at all referring to whomever said that above , so I'm not going to say that to you - however, I will remind you this: If it were for your child, and it were a medical necessity, you'd find a way - your health is also that important. You will find a way - just don't go w/o it if you truly need it!
Thanks Mom!! I appreciate you help. I tried to look up Adderall on the pparx webiste and they did not list it so I guess that isn't an option. I have bookmarked the freemedicinefoundation site and will apply for it once my doctor feels we have settled on a good dosage for me. I am a social worker at a nursing home and I have people that are stuggling with the Medicare Part D "Donut Hole" right now so this may be a helpful resource for them as well. I have added to your reputation for this so a BIG THANK YOU to you!!!

Old 03-06-07, 07:15 PM

You are most welcome! I know that if you plug in Adderall XR, it should pull up Shire's Assistance program, but I don't think that there's anything on that site (pparx.org) for Adderall IR...Except of course the discount card
Old 03-06-07, 08:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
While it might make your doctor burst into flames and run screaming from you try reasoning with him/her and asking for dexedrine spansules. They're so very much cheaper and have the same active ingredient and have a better safety record.

Its problem is that it has a bad reputation because of abuse in the 60s, sort of like valium.
Old 03-06-07, 08:28 PM

Isn't Dexadrine a form of Ritalin, though (Methylphenidate)? Or is it an Amphetamine like Adderall?
Old 03-06-07, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
Its pure dextro-amphetamine. Adderall is a wacky mixture of amphetamine salts in an attempt to make it last longer. Shires actually replacing adderall with a dexedrine based product in the next year or so probably because the way adderall is engineered is a little sketchy as far as using the D and L isomers. Using the L or levo isomer causes a higher blood pressure and heart rate among other things.