ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Household Tips and Tricks
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-07, 11:19 AM
can't remember diddly Moderator

Thanked 6,033 Times in 3,082 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute
Question Paperwork...can't remember the advice

I read in a magazine somewhere at some time tips on paperwork.

Now I get having a good filing system. When done just get her in there. Recycle or pitch the junk.

But I can't remember what I do with those pesky "in-betweens". You know, the stuff you need handy, should look into soon but not right away or can't for the life of you figure out what to do with it. I've run out of places to pile it.

I have ideas where to stick it...but only when I'm in a bad mood. :foot:

Please read our forum guidelines.
FAQ "How Do I...start here"
Old 03-12-07, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

mom23 is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see that article too, if someone has a pointer to it!

Now that I actually know I have ADHD, and I'm being treated for it, I've started trying to organize my paperwork ... it is my notorious bug-a-boo. Heh...I've had the water turned off when I've had more than $5000 in the bank!

I got a few of those expandable plastic envelope thingees .... you know, with twelve or so sections to file stuff in, and an elastic that wraps around? One for monthly bills, one for quarterly/bi-annual/annual stuff like car insurance renewals, taxes, etc., and one for medical/insurance info.

I also set up a notebook (some may prefer using computers) to write down ALL of my financial commitments, with pages for each pay period, listing what is due when, and what is coming up in the near future. It acts as a checking account register, too, which I update daily, so I can actually keep track of my balance instead of trying to keep it in my head and finding out 3 days before payday that I underestimated my spending by $500!

For those "in between" times (between receipt and handling it), I glued a 5X8 manilla envelope to the inside back cover of the notebook. I stick things in there, and when they are handled, move them to the appropriate file envelope thingee.

For the whole one month I've been doing this, it seems to work! LOL

Good luck!
mom23
Old 03-13-07, 11:42 AM
Contributor

Proscrire is on a distinguished road
This doesn't have much to do with the actual paperwork, but thought I'd add it. It was the one thing (the trick) that made my filing rememberable and not a chore.

I labelled everything with cool colored labels. I used markers, mailing label stickers and rubber stamps (the ABC kind to spell things out.) Stuck the stickers to manila envelopes or hanging file folders that go into a file box next to the couch.

Once I had colored labels with funky lettering, it sort of fell into place. Still have piles all over my desk and coffee table but at least they go from there to "away".
Old 03-13-07, 12:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,964 Times in 2,419 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute
Chel,

here are some links that might be helpful!

http://www.clutterbusteronline.com/paper.htm
http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/organ...paperwork.html

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 03-14-07, 05:59 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,634 Times in 5,784 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
I have to have my bills to be paid in plain sight because fo rme it is out of sight out of mind. . .

I have a peg board I put up by my computer with due dates on the out side of the envelope. . . I pay almost all my bills on-line. When paid I staple the transaction confirmation print out to the bill which I remove from the peg board. . . I file weekly, okay some time monthly but I have little to file. I got behind by two month once and it took some thing like ten minutes to catch up.

The in between things I have three category baskets for those and when they fill up it is either trash or note book. . .again these are in plain sight. {if I do not see it, it doesn’t exist} for personal cards letter and children’s work accordion files. . . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook