ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD News
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD News News from around the world about ADD/ADHD, other disorders, and some rather bizzarre & strange stories.

Old 01-05-04, 12:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
ADHD: Parent training may replace drugs

ADHD: Parent training may replace drugs

Four out of five elementary school children with ADHD take medication such as Ritalin, and its use in preschoolers has tripled in the past decade. But groundbreaking research suggests parents can "vaccinate" kids against the behavioral problems associated with ADHD before elementary school.

http://www.usaweekend.com/04_issues/...kids.html#adhd
Old 01-06-04, 12:27 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
So "Groundbreaking research" proves AD/HD is really caused by bad parenting skills. I'm sure lots of parents on this forum would agree - NOT!
Perhaps this might work for some children, but do they really have ADD?
Old 01-06-04, 01:01 PM
Banned

Wheel1975 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Gregster
So "Groundbreaking research" proves AD/HD is really caused by bad parenting skills. I'm sure lots of parents on this forum would agree - NOT!
Perhaps this might work for some children, but do they really have ADD?
The existence and success of a treatment does not negate the reality of the condition that it impacts, or establish that the treatments absence "causes" the problem treated.

Everyone else here... help me with this. I've just gotten that "focus on the facts to the exclusion of everything else" feeling...

Did it happen?

What would have been better?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 01:03 PM
Banned

"The brains of ADHD kids are different. Behavioral cues can work just like medicine when a child's caregivers deliver them consistently and regularly," DuPaul says. "Changing a child's environment can change his brain function -- so well, in fact, that the need for medication can sometimes be eliminated altogether."

Possible or true for adults too?

Whiz? what do you think?
Old 01-06-04, 02:24 PM

nancyfa is on a distinguished road
It did not sound like the article was saying that bad parenting causes ADHD, but that good parenting skills can help the child function in a more effective way in his or her environment - better for the child and better for the people in that environment. What child does not benefit from "new skills, including firm -- yet calm --
discipline, social awareness and handling anger"? The only questionable part was that the program the researcher is involved with is called an "ADHD prevention program".
Old 01-06-04, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nancyfa
It did not sound like the article was saying that bad parenting causes ADHD, but that good parenting skills can help the child function in a more effective way in his or her environment - better for the child and better for the people in that environment.

The only questionable part was that the program the researcher is involved with is called an "ADHD prevention program".
Hi there my favorite Newbie!

More detail?

http://www.lehigh.edu/~ineduc/main_f....htm~mainFrame

"What we’re trying to do, with early intervention, is prevent some of the behavioral problems that these children might otherwise take into elementary school, as well as improve their learning skills," DuPaul says. "Ultimately, we hope early-intervention will prove to be more cost-effective in treating ADHD, since fewer children will need special education and other services in order to succeed in the classroom."

"The goal of the project is to determine the type of services that are most helpful to at-risk children over the long term," Kern says. The researchers will track the progress of the children throughout the five years of the study, which begins this year. The researchers hope to continue monitoring members of the study group as they continue through elementary school and enter middle school."

Last edited by Wheel1975; 01-06-04 at 03:00 PM..
Old 01-06-04, 03:20 PM
Contributor

SubtleMuttle is on a distinguished road
I think it's true. My parents never medicated me, they worked their @$$es off tutoring me at home after school each day, and made sure teachers understood what they decided I needed as far as a change in teaching techniques (hands on, eye-contact reminders, ect); instead of letting the school environment continue putting me down. It helped a little for a while, until they were overwhelmed, and they sacrificed a lot to send me to a school for dyslexics- which was a total learning envirnment change that my parents continued to back up at home as much as they could.

They also strictly controlled my diet (... until we all gave up on that when I was 13; the chocolate is mine!!!)

None of this changed me. I was not cured, can never be, will never be; nor will anyone else. What this did was, early on, teach coping skills and techniques to me that are now second nature. Second nature, automatic, reflexive. I still have problems learning, but I deal with them; because I've been taught how. In fact, it seems like school is now the least of my problems never saw the day coming when I would say that

The article was not very detailed though... is that really it???

edit: my slow typing again; thanks for the additonals, Wheel!
Old 01-06-04, 03:27 PM
Contributor

DUH! Now I get it!!!

Innovative Special ed vs. Parenting... who will win???

They need to follow this up with a study of a program that combines both of these factors- they don't have to be isolated. If the parents aren't very involved that's always a hurt! Even if the kid doesn't have a learning difficulty to begin with.

They're not going to train perfect parents, and the almost perfect parents won't be enough when they send their kid to a far from ideal learning environment. Or, maybe I'll be surprised!
Old 01-06-04, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SubtleMuttle
DUH! Now I get it!!!

Innovative Special ed vs. Parenting... who will win???

They need to follow this up with a study of a program that combines both of these factors- they don't have to be isolated. If the parents aren't very involved that's always a hurt! Even if the kid doesn't have a learning difficulty to begin with.

They're not going to train perfect parents, and the almost perfect parents won't be enough when they send their kid to a far from ideal learning environment. Or, maybe I'll be surprised!
Again,

My vote is BOTH!

not which?
Old 01-06-04, 04:25 PM
Contributor

Quote:

They need to follow this up with a study of a program that combines both of these factors- they don't have to be isolated.
I was not disagreeing

Each will be made stronger by the other when combined, tested against each other one may appear to be stronger. I think they should be tested together vs. status quos of public education and upbringing instead. I agree; both! When unified especially.

I wonder if they are going to use medications in these studies too, i'll have to reread...
Old 01-06-04, 04:56 PM
Banned

Sorry... I wasn't clear... I know you were saying both too...

i've just been saying "both, not which" repeatedly for a few hours or days it seems.
Old 01-06-04, 05:44 PM
Contributor

No need to be sorry! I think I just get a bit obsessive over being understood or not.

I think I know what you mean daily- multiple possibilities happening simultaneously. Combined answers, not separated multiple choice. Not one separate good solution, but all solutions. Tough idea to get across sometimes in a linear world. And yet I can't make up my mind when picking out a toothbrush!!!!!!!!

..back to the regularly scheduled programming *fizzzzzzzz*
Old 01-06-04, 06:43 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I don't know if I like the word "replace" but I do think that parents and educators need to learn different ways of working with children with AD/HD.

No, bad parenting doesn't causes AD/HD. Bad parenting sure does make AD/HD issues worse though. For the majority of cases it not about pad parenting. It's about different styles of parerenting. Russle Barley who is a huge proponant for AD/HD medications even thinks parent training is a valuable tool.

Maybe if we all lived in more "ADD Friendly" environments AD/HD would not be a big of a problem as it is. Parent training and Teacher training seems like a step in the right directions of making the world a more "ADD Friendly" place.
Old 01-07-04, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
No need to be sorry! I think I just get a bit obsessive over being understood or not.

I'm in a thread aobut being misunderstood being hard, and in another where i am misunderstood, I think, and that is hard! ARgh!

I think I know what you mean daily- multiple possibilities happening simultaneously.

that happens too, but here I was just saying, don't see wherether doing the right thing at home works better than doing th right thing at school! Just do the right thing BOTH PLACES.

< big grin >

Combined answers, not separated multiple choice. Not one separate good solution, but all solutions. Tough idea to get across sometimes in a linear world. And yet I can't make up my mind when picking out a toothbrush!!!!!!!!

..back to the regularly scheduled programming *fizzzzzzzz*
What Tara siad... that is how I see it too.
Old 01-07-04, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wheel1975

What Tara siad... that is how I see it too.

OMG...we actually agree...lol