ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Other Creative Endeavors
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-07, 01:25 PM
Johnnny Johnnny is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 471
Thanks: 2
Thanked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Johnnny will become famous soon enough
Bought a star Map

Last week i bought a star map for the northern hemisphere 42 degrees latitude, it was kinda neat beign able to put names to the star groupings. The easy ones to find where Ursa Major, Bootes, virgo, leo, and i could almost make out Ursa Minor. I used my eye, i cant afford a telescope. Also too if the nights clear enough venus or mars is visable.

It was kinda tough to see everything from the back bush behind my apartment cause of the city lights, and i can wait to go out of the city limits where you can actually see the Milky Way to find all the constallations

I find for the time being this is will be a good hobby for me, after i learn as much as i want to ill probally find another hobby . lol who needs a compass when you got the stars .

I have a question has anyone else tried this for a hobby? How did you like it where did it lead you?

peace
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-07, 06:29 AM
lunaslobo's Avatar
lunaslobo lunaslobo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 360
Thanked 440 Times in 264 Posts
lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny
Last week i bought a star map for the northern hemisphere 42 degrees latitude, it was kinda neat beign able to put names to the star groupings. The easy ones to find where Ursa Major, Bootes, virgo, leo, and i could almost make out Ursa Minor. I used my eye, i cant afford a telescope. Also too if the nights clear enough venus or mars is visable.

It was kinda tough to see everything from the back bush behind my apartment cause of the city lights, and i can wait to go out of the city limits where you can actually see the Milky Way to find all the constallations

I find for the time being this is will be a good hobby for me, after i learn as much as i want to ill probally find another hobby . lol who needs a compass when you got the stars .

I have a question has anyone else tried this for a hobby? How did you like it where did it lead you?

peace
I have never tried it for a hobby, but it sounds very cool. A good way to spend some time out in nature and just get some quiet time, something in this day and age we all lack. let me know how this goes, I may want to try it also.
__________________
Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-01-07, 08:10 AM
acceptance acceptance is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
acceptance has disabled reputation
This sounds really cool,telescopic is something ive always been interested in.BUT...lol.. once facing it ..(the moon?)can you see the smile that forms?


with me ive seen it since i was 6.I've yet to talk to others about my experience...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 06-01-07, 03:45 PM
Johnnny Johnnny is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 471
Thanks: 2
Thanked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Johnnny will become famous soon enough
ive been out twice since, still not really past city limits so i cant get a good view of that milky way and the rest of the stars.

Im debating wheather or not ill buy a telescope, im already getting kinda bored cause i named almost all i can see from the city. But i wouldnt mind actually seeing jupitar, saturn and neptune with my own eyes. Call me a geek but that would be cool, but so is driving like a maniac jk.

There are alot of great things in the sky to view, satalites, shooting stars, northern lights, heat lightning,you can try and name the different clouds in the sky lol. I dont know im getting kind of bored again and now ill try naming all the different types of birds around me, for something to do...., theres alot of those around anyways
__________________
Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is. -Bhagavad Gita

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice - Bhagavad Gita

I was so ugly the doctor slapped my momma when i was born. Then he took out his pocket knife and cut off my horns. He said lady if you ain't already picked out a name .Go ahead on and call him trouble man -Waylon Jennings
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-07, 05:31 AM
Ichpuchtli's Avatar
Ichpuchtli Ichpuchtli is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ichpuchtli has a spectacular aura aboutIchpuchtli has a spectacular aura about
HUH? What? All I can pick out is o'rayn and his belt and the southern cross

Actully that really throws me in the northern hemisphere that I can't see the southern cross. I can always easliy see it.
__________________
heywhatisthatbigbuttoninthemiddleofthekeyboarddo?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-07, 05:46 AM
acceptance acceptance is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
acceptance has disabled reputation
Hey Johnny,Ive seen so many falling stars over here...its one of the prettiest things ive witnessed ,out in the middle of australia is the best,the sky lights up like there is no tomorrow...it puts me in fairytale mode and it brings a peaceful feeling to yourself.


How clear is the nightmystics your way?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-07, 11:55 AM
Johnnny Johnnny is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 471
Thanks: 2
Thanked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Johnnny will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Hey Johnny,Ive seen so many falling stars over here...its one of the prettiest things ive witnessed ,out in the middle of australia is the best,the sky lights up like there is no tomorrow...it puts me in fairytale mode and it brings a peaceful feeling to yourself.


How clear is the nightmystics your way?
Shootingtars are very common here also

The good old northern lights . I found this picture on the net this isnt my own. Ive seen just about every colour of the northern lights and there beautiful, a true sight if you see them. I have to go beyond city limits to see them clearly.



This picture resembles my folks camp that i like to go to. I can see everything in the night sky from the camp. Except instead of these tree imagine 100-150 ft white pines.


This is kinda of what the milky way looks at my end of the earth, but not the same. Except where iam its alot bluer and has more white extensions.



And heres a internet image of the first constellation i found and its position to the North Star. But imagine Y and B being flat with the bottam of the picture and thats how i see Ursa Major.


Outside of the coty limis its nothing but the boreal forest of the canadian shield and the sky here also lights up like no tommorow. Its common for people up here to sit on there docks at night and drink a few beers to the night sky (or smoke some). Im booking off time from work and hopefully the weather will be right when i go to the folks camp.

When i was younger it was possible to walk to forest at night without a flash light, cause the stars and moon could light up the ground.

I hope this gives you an idea of my little spot in the world

peace
__________________
Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is. -Bhagavad Gita

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice - Bhagavad Gita

I was so ugly the doctor slapped my momma when i was born. Then he took out his pocket knife and cut off my horns. He said lady if you ain't already picked out a name .Go ahead on and call him trouble man -Waylon Jennings
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-07, 05:07 PM
acceptance acceptance is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
acceptance has disabled reputation
Great pictures J, theyd make a lovely wall picture. (i still cant insert a pic with my post,drivin me crazy,ive got all the info here from everyone but lol just doesnt happen)

see if you can find a site for busselton,w.a. australia...um you might find it a facinating find(i'll try and look for it too) its the most popular place for the sky to light up when lightening strikes.Apparently mobs of people travel there just to see it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-07, 06:35 AM
lunaslobo's Avatar
lunaslobo lunaslobo is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 2,746
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 360
Thanked 440 Times in 264 Posts
lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny
Shootingtars are very common here also

The good old northern lights . I found this picture on the net this isnt my own. Ive seen just about every colour of the northern lights and there beautiful, a true sight if you see them. I have to go beyond city limits to see them clearly.



This picture resembles my folks camp that i like to go to. I can see everything in the night sky from the camp. Except instead of these tree imagine 100-150 ft white pines.


This is kinda of what the milky way looks at my end of the earth, but not the same. Except where iam its alot bluer and has more white extensions.



And heres a internet image of the first constellation i found and its position to the North Star. But imagine Y and B being flat with the bottam of the picture and thats how i see Ursa Major.


Outside of the coty limis its nothing but the boreal forest of the canadian shield and the sky here also lights up like no tommorow. Its common for people up here to sit on there docks at night and drink a few beers to the night sky (or smoke some). Im booking off time from work and hopefully the weather will be right when i go to the folks camp.

When i was younger it was possible to walk to forest at night without a flash light, cause the stars and moon could light up the ground.

I hope this gives you an idea of my little spot in the world

peace
I hve seen the northern lights when I was stationed in north dakota in the winter. they are something there. but I bet they are even better further up north. There was one new recruit that thought that the missle he was garding was leaking some poisous gas and that was causing the northern lights really scare the u know what out of him. boy i really do like all the pix
__________________
Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Online 3D map tracks genes at work in mouse brain kvrrd Science in the Media 3 09-28-06 01:53 AM
Adderall and Tolerance MindResearcher Adderall 9 08-17-05 12:23 AM
N-Acetyl Cysteine Protects brain when using Stimulants lynx Ritalin 5 07-06-04 09:46 PM
New Star Plan for ADHD Children's Success Andrew ADD News 0 01-25-04 04:57 PM
Star meets youngsters before show Andrew ADD News 0 12-06-03 08:28 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums