ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-07, 04:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

trying has a spectacular aura abouttrying has a spectacular aura about
Learning Breakthrough and Personal Experience: A Sister Thread

Hello everyone.

I want to start this as a side thread, similar in nature to the DORE one, for people to post their experiences with specifically the Learning Breakthrough balance board program. To talk, to share, to comfort. I noticed some talk of it in DORE, but I think this is a good idea to see how the program has worked for those who've tried it.

My personal interest here being I am now a customer of the program, I've been doing the exercises for a week now.

I'll go into more detail as to things like: my own personal etiology of inattentive ADD (helpful to state no doubt), some personal miscellanea, the nature of the exercises, (hopefully) my progress, etc.

But I don't have the focus to do so right now. Soon ... soon ...
Old 05-23-07, 05:33 AM

Teadrinker2005 will become famous soon enough
Hello trying,

At last someone else trying the LBT-I've been on it for several weeks-its a fine act of balancing/ juggling and fitting it into your daily routine.

If you want support,give me a shout,cos i know i'll need it.

Top banana & Well done for starting this thread,really looking forward to your insights and progress.

Stay Focused.

Td

C'mon Liverpoooooool-Champions League Final tonite.
Old 05-23-07, 06:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

lelly88 will become famous soon enough
Brilliant, this is great news, I know lots of people will want to participate. I myself want to do LB for my older son, as although he has no manafest learning difficulties, he has impulsion and attention difficulties (e.g teacher says "your son is on another planet most lessons staring at the ceiling").

This thread will certainly help with motivation. If I see on my travels any one asking for help for the LB programme (and I have seen a few) I know where to direct them .
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying
Hello everyone.

I want to start this as a side thread, similar in nature to the DORE one, for people to post their experiences with specifically the Learning Breakthrough balance board program. To talk, to share, to comfort. I noticed some talk of it in DORE, but I think this is a good idea to see how the program has worked for those who've tried it.

My personal interest here being I am now a customer of the program, I've been doing the exercises for a week now.

I'll go into more detail as to things like: my own personal etiology of inattentive ADD (helpful to state no doubt), some personal miscellanea, the nature of the exercises, (hopefully) my progress, etc.

But I don't have the focus to do so right now. Soon ... soon ...
Old 05-23-07, 06:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

I see your in the UK. Where did you get your kit from and if USA did you have to pay import duty on it? Hope you don't mind me asking, it seems cheaper from there because of exchange rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teadrinker2005
Hello trying,

At last someone else trying the LBT-I've been on it for several weeks-its a fine act of balancing/ juggling and fitting it into your daily routine.

If you want support,give me a shout,cos i know i'll need it.

Top banana & Well done for starting this thread,really looking forward to your insights and progress.

Stay Focused.

Td

C'mon Liverpoooooool-Champions League Final tonite.
Old 05-23-07, 03:13 PM

Hello

Took me 6 months of shopping around roughly before i decided...contacted alot of sites that sell the product and pm'ing alot of questions too peeps on this forum about the LB.
I ended up buying from the actual LB site, wanted too purchase from its other sister USA site,as it had discount voucher advertised on it, anyhow just my luck that it had expired.
Ended up paying shiping costs + cost of the kit-N0 Dreaded import TAX.
So Yes its cheapier to do it that way,it's twice the cost from sites in good olde Blighty.Also i must mention it arrived here pretty quickly!!!and the xchange rate is great for the brits.

I did also purchase another Kit,very similiar which is aimed at Adults/Senior-same principals and working the cerebellum and x-wiring L&R parts of the noodle-BUT I did pay that nasty Import Tax on that!the kit came from canada!-Reckon its worth a butchers at it-So do a web search for Linda Schaumleffel-If you have already a balance board /beanbags you just need the exercise DVD and booklet guide.

Question-Is there anyone here working on the STNR reflexes + LB??
Old 05-23-07, 03:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks for that, very helpful.
Old 05-29-07, 06:47 PM

Thanked 1,995 Times in 1,112 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
AT LAST!!!! I'm so glad to see a thread on LB, I'm still in two minds as to whether I should start it, I've looked into the website and it seems quiet good and it's cheaper too (nearly $500 in Australia which is quiet affordable)...so those who are using LB please tell me what you think of it!!

Selena
Old 05-29-07, 08:28 PM

Hello and AT LAST!!!Someone else who may take the plunge and purchase the LB kit.

Well what i think personally-Its affordable,its an interesting theory about the cerebellum,its time consuming,it can be tedious at times and can be exciting to a degree,it may help??,i feel i've had one or two minor breakthroughs in certain areas?? but sadly its early days at the moment,so i dont want too endorse it and say its the the best thing since slice bread-so for the price it maybe a good investment.Anyhow i not going to try and convience you. The way I look at it's only time and money that i could be wasting OR saving and doing something productive Or doing nothing.
And as i'm in the UK-i have little access too medication so i have no alternative but to try the LB.

Maybe check the Dore and Personal Experience thread,i pretty sure there's a link there,(just acouple of pages back) -to some other site,where some fella written a diary,well worth a look... if you cant find it i post it on this LB thread.
Also, if anyones interested....i might write up a brief outline of exercises/equipment/wot to do?Only if there's some genuine interest peeps,so let me know on that one,it will be brief.

Wot i do suggest Crazygirl,maybe you should contact the LB site,they would obviously recommend the kit regardle$$ AND i cant see wot harm an email will do,but as we are all different-this may help YOU decide whether Y/N.Lastly ask yourself - would use the LB kit twice a day(30 MINUTES) for a year(ALOT OF MINUTES) thats the question.

Td.
Old 05-29-07, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

hi

Okay, well, I fell off the wagon for a few days for various reasons. Here I am though ...

This is all going to be a little spotty, and my posts will seem stilted. It's very hard for me to write. Hopefully that's something that'll improve. Hopefully soon I'll be able to read again, like I did when I was a kid. My first book on the list is this Samuel Beckett novel trio ...

I had been doing the exercises for about a week, when I began to think something was "off" with the rockers, and lo, the rockers were grinded down flat from the couple of times I had used the balance board outside, on hard sidewalk.

Man am I dumb. Maybe they should have a warning for that, after all it's ADD folks here using the equipment ... but in any case, I got new rockers from the company, which arrived today and I plan to start the exercises again from the beginning ...

Post continued below (in some kinda shoddy effort to promote readability, the logical separation of different ideas which typically arises naturally from the paragraph form when the writer doesn't have a DAT surplus) ...
Old 05-29-07, 09:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

So I like to think I pay a lot of attention to my own mental state ... (which in the cognitive behavioral, neuroplastic sense could be good or bad, probably a reinforcer, eh?) ...

and it's funny but I seemed to notice some sort of enhancement from just a week of the practice. Um, well, I had been stuck on day one because it took me six days to set up the pendulum ball.

But an enhancement, perhaps in the direction I'm looking for ... focus, maybe a little confidence ... mental resources.

That's interesting I guess. Learning Breakthrough, see, claims an acute effect from just doing the daily exercise, which also seems to be confirmed by the guy who's doing the exercises, on the website w/ his son ... maybe someone can pull the link out for me, I guess some of you folks will know what I refer to. And beyond that, the improvements we're all trying to see with chronic, extended, 12+ month use. Personally, I'd like to be cured. Does LB delete dopamine transporter?

Anyway ... my hopes are still high.
Old 05-29-07, 09:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

The exercises:

They are physical.

- beanbag throwing/juggling
- pendulum exercises (you hit it in certain ways, with your eyes or aiming at it w/ specified parts of a stick)
-- ball throwing (you bounce a ball at certain numbers on a target stand you set up)

I figure even if this doesn't work out for my inattentive ADD then I can always become a carny.

Well ... anyway. Robust improvements in concentration, etc. are claimed ... if the exercises are done twice daily, 15 minutes or so (it usually takes me more), continually for many months. I can handle that.

Perhaps. I wonder, though. With the LB program we lack mental exercises, which from the DORE thread people claim good rate of improvement from.

I wonder if we can duplicate some of their exercises? People have posted a few of them ... now, another idea I have is to pick up a Nintendo DS with Brain Age and Big Brain Academy ... the vaunted brain training programs that are out. They're nice as your progressive improvements are reported, graphed, by the game, and there's some research too in Japan.

Mental exercises. There are wikipedia articles to check out which tell about some of the exercises, I believe.

Now what if I did these on top of a balance board?

---

That's all theory for now, as I don't have the money as of now for something like that (spent it all on this, and vitamin supplements), but I hope to give further updates.

FOR NOW, it's just getting on with the exercises. I'm getting on with it tonight, two sessions then on to Day Two ...
Old 05-29-07, 09:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Well hello fellow brother! I did not know you were here till just now. I will be keeping track of your humorous posts and learning how you get along on the LB program. I am very happy that you started this thread! Many, even those who never post, will be able to read how you are getting along with it, and the information will be very helpful. Keep up the good work, and, as i see, you are welcome on the D&PE thread anytime as well, so we can compare notes with each other! I am curious from the other end, how the LB works as well. They don't do the mental tasks? I thought that they did near the end as well, or something challenging along that line.
Old 05-29-07, 11:13 PM

Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking LB program

Hi Teadrinker!

I've read the site and it sounds good as I said before and it says it also helps with Sensory Integration Disorder as well...I'm really wanting something to treat that more so than the ADHD itself!

I've contacted the site and the people that run it already and I will make some kind of move to purchase it within the next few months, I've been looking for alternative therapies for years now, I have used Ritalin and Dexamphetamine as well as various anti-depressants on and off for years now and I haven't been on stimulant medications for 8 years (this is by choice) and I've been off anti-depressants for 12 months now (also by choice) and I don't want to revert back to conventional drug therapy as those drugs can have some really nasty side affects that are worse than the ADHD and SID themselves but if I do try an alternative therapy I want to make sure it's at least 70% helpful and I'd be happy even if the results are minor!!

I've read the Dore thread and that program's not for me! but like LB it has some benefits too.

I have a lot of time on my hands...so yes I think I could devote 30 minutes or so of my time to the exercises and I like the fact I can do them in the privacy of my home without the annoying clinic visits, I'll keep you updated about any progresses with me regarding the LB program.

Take Care
Selena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teadrinker2005
Hello and AT LAST!!!Someone else who may take the plunge and purchase the LB kit.

Well what i think personally-Its affordable,its an interesting theory about the cerebellum,its time consuming,it can be tedious at times and can be exciting to a degree,it may help??,i feel i've had one or two minor breakthroughs in certain areas?? but sadly its early days at the moment,so i dont want too endorse it and say its the the best thing since slice bread-so for the price it maybe a good investment.Anyhow i not going to try and convience you. The way I look at it's only time and money that i could be wasting OR saving and doing something productive Or doing nothing.
And as i'm in the UK-i have little access too medication so i have no alternative but to try the LB.

Maybe check the Dore and Personal Experience thread,i pretty sure there's a link there,(just acouple of pages back) -to some other site,where some fella written a diary,well worth a look... if you cant find it i post it on this LB thread.
Also, if anyones interested....i might write up a brief outline of exercises/equipment/wot to do?Only if there's some genuine interest peeps,so let me know on that one,it will be brief.

Wot i do suggest Crazygirl,maybe you should contact the LB site,they would obviously recommend the kit regardle$$ AND i cant see wot harm an email will do,but as we are all different-this may help YOU decide whether Y/N.Lastly ask yourself - would use the LB kit twice a day(30 MINUTES) for a year(ALOT OF MINUTES) thats the question.

Td.

Last edited by Crazygirl79; 05-29-07 at 11:32 PM..
Old 05-29-07, 11:28 PM

Talking I've contacted LB again.

Hi again!

I've just written an email to LB asking about payment methods (I don't have a credit or debit card at the moment) and I informed them that I will be purchasing the kit in 12 to 24 weeks (I would get it sooner but I'm in between homes and jobs at the moment)

Selena
Old 05-30-07, 06:51 AM

Hello LB'ers,

I too use the balance board outside summerhouse (concrete floor),as I have no room indoors due to the clutter, SO I realised about the runners situation,so i put a rug under the board-so no damage is done.
I also force myself too do the well needed Mental stimulation DS Brain age /Brainbuilder/Back on Track prog immediately after the LB exercises,-These all help in a way.
Also i use the Listening program whilst doing the LB session or listen to mindlab focus session.

Its a bit like going back too school doing PE,Maths,Word games and more PE.Which can only be good? but the flipside is no days wasting away attempting too socialise and trying too fit in with my peers,watching telly and wandering around this planet with no purpose,which can also be good.

Here's the Dad n Son link:-

http://www.iconnectdots.com/ctd/2007...hacks_thi.html

Know wot you mean trying about the Pendulum ball issues!!!!!-I'm off too join the Cirque du Soleil-Bring out the teadrinking clown! oh dear just broke my cup n saucer.

Crazygirl,its great that you contacted them,was concerned about SID,so i didnt want too push it,good luck with between homes and job situation- really looked forward too reading your LB experiences,if and when you do get the kit.

Td