ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 06-14-07, 07:38 PM

SC Hunter has disabled reputation
Could Adderall cause memory loss??

I have been having alot more mid-term memory problems if that is a real term, the last few years. I have looked back at my med charts and not until 2004 did I strictly take Adderall or Adderall XR, before I usually used Concerta and Adderall. So has anyone here ever heard of any studies being done on long-term exposure to Adderall causing memory loss, or anything similar for that matter?? Please help....any suggestions? Anyone found the miracle drug?

SCH
Old 06-16-07, 07:13 AM

xmikef is on a distinguished road
I was looking for some info on google on adderall and memory loss just the other day actually, but I didn't find much. I read on Wikipedia's Adderall article about a year ago that long term adderall use does lead to memory loss, but the current article doesnt mention that.
If you find anything let me know!
Old 06-16-07, 10:34 AM
ADDvanced Member

Frangible is on a distinguished road
I don't think acute usage can, unless you use a really high dose, but chronically elevated cortisol levels (which all stimulants raise) can cause atrophy of the hippocampus and memory impairment. Another cause could be sleep disruption (which is critical to memory encoding) or nutritional impairment.

With therapeutic dosing, I think only the sleep deprivation is seen regularly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frangible For This Useful Post:
honda612 (11-02-11), Raven Poe (04-07-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-07, 04:30 PM

fogcity is on a distinguished road
weird but true

when I'm on my meds I have a strange side effect of sometimes being in the middle of a sentance and NOT being able to remember a particular word. It just isnt there. Right in the middle of the senetance, like I formed the sentance in my mind and then I have to stop cause a word disappears.

dunno if that is what you mean, but its annoying. It doesn't happen when I'm not on the meds.

I take 5mg xr (a low dose, but I'm really sensetive)

cheers
j
The Following User Says Thank You to fogcity For This Useful Post:
Raven Poe (04-07-14)
Old 11-05-07, 04:46 PM

beanbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Could Adderall cause memory loss??

fogcity-
Yes! I know exactly what you're talking about. I often feel like I will be talking to someone and all the sudden the word or words won't be there and I can't communicate what I'm trying to say. I feel as though my vocabulary has been depleted. I mentioned something to my doctor about it and he didn't seem concerned.

I've noticed that since I began taking Adderall xR two years ago, I've gradually lost my short term memory more and more. It's affecting my school and everyday life. But at the same time, I can't imagine functioning well without it.

Does anyone know if this memory lost is permanent or not? Will I be able to regain my short term memory again if I were to go off the drug? Or have I fried my brain forever?
The Following User Says Thank You to beanbean For This Useful Post:
MentalNomad (02-14-11)
Old 11-05-07, 06:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Iamscattered is on a distinguished road

My situation may be different from all of yours, but for me stims helped me realize that when unmedicated I was often using incorrect words when I spoke. At first I thought I had lost some ability to remember when taking Adderall, but later I noticed that unmedicated I would plough through a conversation without much regard for what I was saying, and when the right word wasn't available to me--I just inserted whatever word came to mind (but often wrong) and kept on talking. For the longest time I had no idea at all that I was doing this, and believed everything was completely fine.

The pauses in speach I have now to find the right word, are actually an indication to me that my medicine is working and my AD/HD is under control. I have since read in a well known ADD book by Dr. Hallowell that what I experienced is very common.

But if you are sure you are witnessing short-term memory loss (or something like it), rather than being caused by Adderal side effects, it is in my opinion much more likely to be because AD/HD symptoms (when medicated) are becoming stonger, and may indicate that a medicine adjustment is necessary.

Symptoms very similar to short-term memory loss (as in easily distracted with the inability to focus in the present) perfectly describe my own unmedicated state most of the time (although I may not be aware of it), and will also occur in my medicated state (in which case I am much more aware of it) if I am not taking the correct dosage. Since I observe it so much more clearly in my medicated state I could easily conclude that is is worse on medication, but it is not.

There is not much information to be found about therapeutic stimulant use and memory loss for good reason. It is the same reason a Doctor wasn't worried about the possibility. Happily medicinal stimulants causing memory loss isn't very likely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamscattered For This Useful Post:
Jericho (08-04-11), MentalNomad (02-14-11)
Old 11-08-07, 04:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

fredonian will become famous soon enough

My second go on stimilants have not affected my memory to the degree it did years ago. Originally when I tried stimilant medications for weight loss, I developed some short term memory issues that were very problematic. I quit the stims cold turkey and gradually gained roughly half of my short term memory back, but never felt it returned fully. Years later I gave Welbutrin a try, and it seemed to have opened a lot of old pathways in my brain, and I feel like I got most of what I had lost. I only took welbutrin for three weeks and the benefits seemed to last after dicontinuing it. That was over four years ago. I have been on adderall xr for a year now, taking a weekend vacation every other week, and so far, I have not noticed any memory issues. Maybe it is due to taking the XR, as my doctor will not give me the IR. Also, I my vacations allow me to catch up on a little deep sleep modes, which is crucial for memory.
Old 11-08-07, 06:57 PM
Forum Guru

starry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the roughstarry is a jewel in the rough
Re: weird but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogcity
.......sometimes being in the middle of a sentance and NOT being able to remember a particular word. It just isnt there. Right in the middle of the senetance, like I formed the sentance in my mind and then I have to stop cause a word disappears.
...cheers
j

I have had this problem for as far back as I can remember, BEFORE I went on Adderall. It really bothered me, but it happens to a lot of people during conversations. You know how someone's telling you something and then all of a sudden they stop and say :"Umm, what's the word I was going to say?"
I don't know if (like me) you've always had this and maybe just didn't think about it too much, but now that you're taking Adderall, you may be paying more attention to it and thinking it's a new thing and caused by the medication as a side effect.

I am open to the idea that this may be a side effect to some people, but for me it's nothing new...I've always had this issue.
Maybe it has to do with having ADD...
Just when you're about to say something and have it all prepared, you forget certain words, or parts....possibly because another thought came in and disturbed your concentration.
For a person who has ADD, anything can be distracting at the time of saying or doing something.

I think the medication itself probably avoids all that "other stuff" from coming in, when we're trying to concentrate on something.
It may be that the dosage you're taking maybe not enough, to help your ADD- if that is why you're taking it.

Since I've been on it, my memory is better in some ways and not so great in others. It's slightly foggy at times, not sure why. But I'm sharper when I'm learning something new. It's easier to pay attention and absorb.
Old 11-09-07, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

Could Adderall cause memory loss??

Not that I'm aware of...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 11-10-07, 09:47 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,627 Times in 5,782 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been having alot more mid-term memory problems if that is a real term, the last few years.
I have to but mine is more than like age related - the memory fades as one grows older and has more to remember, this is true for every weather they have ADD/take ADD medications or not.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 02-07-11, 12:24 PM

slasate is on a distinguished road
Re: weird but true

It sounds like you are talking about "Dysnomia" -- words being on the "tip of your tongue" that you cannot recall.
This actually happens to everyone. For this to occur say 5 times per day is normal.
If it is of concern, you can Google it, but now you have a name for it!
Old 02-12-11, 01:17 PM

Moddy2010 is on a distinguished road

Its articles like these that convince me that Provigil is superior to Adderall. There actually been studies that show that Modafinil protects the brain. I do not get a physiological effect from Modafinil like a higher heart rate and such like I do with Adderall. I only take a very tiny amount of Adderall.
Old 02-12-11, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

WhoaaaaaI'mADD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbean View Post
fogcity-
Yes! I know exactly what you're talking about. I often feel like I will be talking to someone and all the sudden the word or words won't be there and I can't communicate what I'm trying to say. I feel as though my vocabulary has been depleted. I mentioned something to my doctor about it and he didn't seem concerned.

I've noticed that since I began taking Adderall xR two years ago, I've gradually lost my short term memory more and more. It's affecting my school and everyday life. But at the same time, I can't imagine functioning well without it.

Does anyone know if this memory lost is permanent or not? Will I be able to regain my short term memory again if I were to go off the drug? Or have I fried my brain forever?
Hmm that's interesting. I think my short term memory has been impacted a TINY bit, but at the same time my working memory and the memory above short-term but not long-term (the "buffer" zone as I like to call it) has improved ten-fold. I can actually navigate through all the images of stuff in my mind while I'm taking a test, or actually understand the French text I'm reading instead of getting caught up at words I don't know. Dates are AWESOME when I study with my medication - I can literally think back through the chapter I read and see the years and events I read about.

So while I might lose my words a bit when I'm walking (it's definitely happened on meds), I'll deal with it for all the other benefits I gain.
Old 05-14-11, 12:32 AM

PsychStudent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Hunter View Post
I have been having alot more mid-term memory problems if that is a real term, the last few years. I have looked back at my med charts and not until 2004 did I strictly take Adderall or Adderall XR, before I usually used Concerta and Adderall. So has anyone here ever heard of any studies being done on long-term exposure to Adderall causing memory loss, or anything similar for that matter?? Please help....any suggestions? Anyone found the miracle drug?

SCH
My problem is even worse. I studied like a crazy person for 10 days and some nights straight for a organic chemistry exam, I literally ate the book. I was pretty confident about it... came to exam and flanked it so bad (16 out of 100) like never ever before (when I didn't take meds). During exam my mind went blank.
I don't know what to do, I feel like giving up the drugs... However, meds make me understand science much better, everything I read makes sense. However, I feel like I don't remember what was yesterday and what is today easily, it takes some efford to remember, spelling and punctuation are also affected. Also, it is hard to find words and names for things like some other person mentioned above. If I need to memorize something - forget it, on meds its impossible.
I was diagnosed with AD/HD around 8 month ago, tried many differed drugs they all seem to effect memory. I find it very strange that not many people or doctors mention this. I am taking very small dose Dexedrin XR 5mg. So the only solution I found so far is not to take meds every day. It kind of helps...
Old 05-14-11, 01:31 AM

Anthony121 is on a distinguished road

You guys are probably gone to high of a tolerance..