ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Aspergers/Autism Spectrum/PDD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-07, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

boone1 will become famous soon enough
Turns out I might have aspergers as well... ??

My GP thinks I might have aspergers so I'm seeing my pediatritian but that could take up to 4 months because it's on the NHS which takes forever.

Anyway I never really though about aspergers and I don't know anything about it. These are somethings that I think my doc decided that I might have it:
  • From when I was really little to when I was about 12 I like lining up my toy cars, taking my books out of my book shelf and re-arranging them in colour, then a-z and then height order etc...
  • I find something that I'm interested about and I become obssessed with it for ages, like months at a time. For example I have a big interest in mental illness, psychology, art etc. And I become a sort of mini expert on the things that I research and I will spend all my time finding out more information.
  • Most of the time I don't understand jokes and I am absolutely clueless about sarcasm. It's just something I've never been able to figure out.
  • I don't understand how people work, I think I do but im usuall completely wrong and that confuses me.
  • I can't really tell what peoples emotions are, for example I can't tell when someone is becoming angry and I am in total shock when they start to shout at me and then i get angry. But really I didn't know that they were getting angry in the first place.
  • I know that I didn't reach the average milestone when learning to speak, I learn't how to speak later than all my friends and I heard that speach and language delay coud be something to do with aspergers.
That's all I can think of right now. Does any of these things sound like aspergers? I know I'm definitly ADHD and I thought that the things that iv'e just listed were just sort of 'extra' things that I have.

What do you think?
Old 06-17-07, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Yes it sure does sound a lot like AS. In any case, it sounds like PDD (Aspergers is a PDD). Typically with AS there is no language delay, but PDD is a very broad diagnostic category and there is a lot of variation from one individual to the next.

Getting the right diagnosis early could be a good thing, so work with your doctor on this.

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 06-17-07, 07:20 PM

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Yes I agree with Speedo..it does sound like Aspergers, maybe you could get in touch with your local Autism or Aspergers support group?!

Selena
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 08:13 AM
Contributor

Johnnny will become famous soon enough
i can say i act 100% as boone1 described but i wouldnt say i have aspergers cause i dont act like the stereotypical autistic person whose always looking away from your eyes and studdering.

How do you know for sure lol if you cant go see the doc?

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice - Bhagavad Gita

I was so ugly the doctor slapped my momma when i was born. Then he took out his pocket knife and cut off my horns. He said lady if you ain't already picked out a name .Go ahead on and call him trouble man -Waylon Jennings
Old 06-18-07, 12:34 PM

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Most Asperger's gets missed. I never heard of it until about 5 years ago.

In 1997, I took an Honors course on [Autism and other] Developmental Disabilities about 10 years ago with an "expert"!

We learned tons about RETT SYNDROME, but not a -=peep=- ASPERGER'S.

It is only, slowly and recently, coming to light among Clinicians, even. (Most Nurses I know have never heard of it. Doctors seem to be hearing about it.)

-

Like ADHD, there are many faces and 'presentations' [subtypes] of Autism.

Not all involve stuttering.

In fact, some Autistic/Asperger people are very verbal. (And that gets them into TROUBLE.)
Old 06-18-07, 12:56 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
i can say i act 100% as boone1 described but i wouldnt say i have aspergers cause i dont act like the stereotypical autistic person whose always looking away from your eyes and studdering.
Quote:

In fact, some Autistic/Asperger people are very verbal.
RE: Eye contact in AS...most Asperger's are perfectly able to make eye contact, they just dislike it intensely after too long a period of time (As defined by the Asperger, not anybody else) and may break contact until they regain their equilibrium, so to speak.
Old 06-18-07, 07:25 PM

Thanked 1,992 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute
Well said Crazy~Feet
Old 06-18-07, 07:34 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
One of the diagnostic requirements for AS is that speech development was normal. Aspies often have an odd way of talking, but stuttering is not an aspie trait. By definition aspies are basically as verbal as anybody else.

According to Hans asperger aspies represent a normal person with a touch of autism. It's a spectrum disorder and it varies from very "normal" to very autistic from one individual to the next.

Persons on the fringe of the diagnostic critera for AS often go undiagnosed or are incorrectly diagnosed with something else. It is very common for someone with AS to be incorrectly diagnosed with ADHD or bipolar disorder before being diagnosed with a PDD like aspergers syndrome.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl
Most Asperger's gets missed. I never heard of it until about 5 years ago.

In 1997, I took an Honors course on [Autism and other] Developmental Disabilities about 10 years ago with an "expert"!

We learned tons about RETT SYNDROME, but not a -=peep=- ASPERGER'S.

It is only, slowly and recently, coming to light among Clinicians, even. (Most Nurses I know have never heard of it. Doctors seem to be hearing about it.)

-

In fact, some Autistic/Asperger people are very verbal. (And that gets them into TROUBLE.)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 06-18-07, 07:42 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazygirl79
Well said Crazy~Feet
Any time, girl.
Old 06-19-07, 09:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanks for you replies everyone, I'm still not sure if I have enough Asperger traits to actually be diagnosed but we'll see...
Old 06-20-07, 03:07 AM

SpaceTraveller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnny

How do you know for sure lol if you cant go see the doc?
How does the saying go? If you look like a duck, walk like a duck, and quack like a duck, then you just might be a duck...

In this case, if you follow criteria for AS, then you just might be an aspie. I wouldn't say look over it because you don't fit some stereotype that isn't even very accurate.
Old 06-20-07, 03:25 AM

Here is a link to more info on AS. It's worth reading.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28574

Me
Old 06-20-07, 06:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
Here is a link to more info on AS. It's worth reading.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28574

Me
Thanks for the link Speedo, I have found it very helpful.
Old 06-20-07, 07:54 AM
Contributor

Johnnny will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceTraveller
How does the saying go? If you look like a duck, walk like a duck, and quack like a duck, then you just might be a duck...

In this case, if you follow criteria for AS, then you just might be an aspie. I wouldn't say look over it because you don't fit some stereotype that isn't even very accurate.
holy quackers lol thanks, yea i dunno ADHD i know i have some kind of mood disorder (were i can go from happy to sad like bang) aspergers i dunno that would be alot, well that would be everything but the kitchen sink.

I dont know how deep the rabbit hole goes, and sometimes i dont wanna know

The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice - Bhagavad Gita

I was so ugly the doctor slapped my momma when i was born. Then he took out his pocket knife and cut off my horns. He said lady if you ain't already picked out a name .Go ahead on and call him trouble man -Waylon Jennings
Old 06-20-07, 10:19 AM

SpaceTraveller is on a distinguished road
Well lol. ADHD people can have trouble with all those things mentioned, except probably the first 2, so that could very well be all you have...