ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-07, 06:40 PM
Jr Member

spin is on a distinguished road
Extreme ADD vs. Hypomania

My doctor said he wasn't sure which of these ones I had and would appreciate people's opinions on the differences of the 2. For the record, I am on Lamictal and Adderall.
Old 06-25-07, 06:44 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Are you asking us to compare and contrast hyperactivity with hypomania?
Old 06-25-07, 06:49 PM
Jr Member

spin is on a distinguished road
I just don't understand what the difference is. I want an official diagnosis and he said those are the 2 things he is looking seriously at. I have read a lot more about ADD than BP and don't really get what the difference is between the 2. I am on medication for both things. And he used the word extreme when describing ADD vs. hypomania.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-07, 07:01 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
If he has already put you on a stimulant and Lamictal I would presume that officially you had both DXes. Or there would be no call to have you on both at once. Adderall alone would trigger hypomania. Lamictal alone would over-sedate a non-bipolar and make them seem more ADHD-inattentive.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=30745

Hypomania: A condition similar to mania but less severe. The symptoms are similar with elevated mood, increased activity, decreased need for sleep, grandiosity, racing thoughts, and the like. However, hypomanic episodes differ in that they do not cause significant distress or impair one's work, family, or social life in an obvious way while manic episodes do.

Hypomanic people tend to be unusually cheerful, have more than ample energy, and need little sleep. Hypomania is a pleasurable state. It may confer a heightened sense of creativity and power. However, hypomania can subtly impair a person's judgment. Too much confidence can conceal the consequences of decisions.

Hypomania can be difficult to diagnose because it may masquerade as mere happiness. It is important to diagnose hypomania because, as an expression of bipolar disorder, it can cycle into depression and carry an increased risk of suicide.

http://www.depression-guide.com/hypomania.htm

Generally Hypomania (mildly manic) or mania is associated to being the sufferer in a real good mood. When you're first getting manic, you may feel just great! But the fact is that some people also get angry and they are a lot agitated when they are manic or hypomanic.

What are the symptoms of Hypomania?

• Effected people tend to overestimate their capabilities.
  • They feel inflated self-esteem or grandiosity.
  • Increased alcohol consumption.
  • They fail to see the obvious risks involved in their ventures
  • Making lots of plans.
  • Excessive involvement in pleasurable activities.
  • Increased interest in uncharacteristic sexual flirting.
  • They wish of doing several things at once.
  • Decreased need for sleep.
  • More sensitive than usual.
  • They feel like taking too many responsibilities.
  • Increase in goal-directed activity
This description is not really negative things. What makes hypomania scary is that an individual may make bad choices with the increased energy. A common error made by Bipolar folks is to stop taking medications, because some degree of hypomania feels good.

The episode is not severe enough to cause marked impairment in social or occupational functioning, or to necessitate hospitalization, and there are no psychotic features. The episode is associated with an unequivocal change in functioning that is uncharacteristic of the person when not symptomatic.

What is not mentioned is what we BPs call the "black mania". This type of hypomania manifests as extreme irritability, hostility and rage attacks.

HTH!

Old 06-25-07, 07:29 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Well I am hyper enough to be considered "hypomanic" but I get manic and it is best described like this AD/HD impatience is impatience when your manic you count every little second and everything is a waste of time to me because I am just that damned important, waiting for appts, restless bored, Manic I scream about the amount of time down to the second and who has the balls to mess with the important "me". Hypomania isn't noticeable in me it lasts a half a day and then there are songs on the radio all having a special connection to me, I am rather manic right now and it feels spectacular, when I am hyperactive like always it's all a matter of trying to catch up, I am still waiting for my red carpet