ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 07-05-07, 06:40 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about
Vyvance?

I just got the 30 day supple free voucher from the Vyvance website. I am wondering if I should ask my doctor about trying it. I like free things! If anyone else is thinking about it, get the coupon!
Old 07-05-07, 07:21 PM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about
I was thinking the same thing, jennyjay.
Old 07-05-07, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like a great idea to me jennyjay.

I look forward to hearing how it all unfolds on that end, and I hope that you will be able to keep us in the loop on this.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-07, 08:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough
Question Price on 30 days of Provogil

What's the average cost for a 30 day prescription of Provigil?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Old 07-05-07, 09:17 PM

jealibeanz is on a distinguished road
I get 60, 200 mg tablets. The insurance company's negotiated price is $482.86. So I'd say, without insurance, the pharmacy would charge around $500. My co-pay is $5. I'd never pay out-of-pocket!

Mind you, this is the upper end of a normal dosage. Not everyone takes 400 mg a day (though some take more). Many people do well with 100 mg a day.

I say we oughtta start a Provigil forum here. There are so many others and they really aren't all that active. People (and doctors!) are often confused and intrigued by the drugs and have many questions about the medication. It's such a bizarre med. I'd definitely be willing to share my experiences.
Old 07-05-07, 09:21 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about
I don't have my appointment until the 27th. I am wondering what my doc will say about it, mmmmmmmmm?
Old 07-06-07, 01:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
jealibenz is correct on the price. I just picked up (60) 200mg pills and the price billed to insurance was just over $500 for retail. Damn!

Bizzare med is right. Best way to describe it is a kinda/sorta stimulant. Wakes you up but no buzzed or wired feeling. For treating ADD I don't think it's as effective as traditional stimulants but for some people that can't tolerate the traditional meds Provigil may be a lifesaver.

The manufacturer recognizes the fact that it's wickedly expensive and hard to convince insurance to cover so they have some sort of patient assistance program. There also is a 7 day free trial coupon too. Also, the newer, 'cleaner' version called Nuvigil was just approved so maybe prices on Provigil (racemic med) will drop some.

J
Old 07-06-07, 11:23 AM
Contributor

Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point
$500 ... Man, that is stiff!

Doctor Seuss Haiku
Old 07-06-07, 01:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Hell yeah, hence why insurance needs approval (most companies anyway). They (meaning the insurance companies) would probably want a patient being treated( for narcolepsy, sleep apnea, sleepiness) to try 'cheaper' meds like Ritalin, Concerta, Amphetamines. It's all about money.

J
Old 08-25-07, 07:28 AM

Cooper2010 is on a distinguished road
well, i'm on it, 70 mg for $35, but first month's free.........well........SUPER dry mouth.......i've never experienced this dry a mouth b4 in my life.......not on adderall, ritalin, or that non-stimulant one........stratera? concerta? whatever it was, it never shoved 3095029502398401 balls of cotton in my mouth.......i'm sorry for dwelling on that one side effect, but its strangly powerful....

also, i can still kind of have a normal appetite (disclaimer, normal for me is three platefulls of pasta at dinner, on addy i was down to one, now i can have two).........it seems pretty long lasting, so i'm concerned that this might end up keeping me up at night, which was the reason i switched off addy xr..........as for the actual purpose of the medication (focus), that remains untested as it is the weekend and im not realy doing too much work, but i did crack a physics book yesterday and was almost inspired to understand the material as opposed to chuging through the problems and text and what not, so i'm cautiously opptomistic about this medication.....

some qick questions: just how new is this drug? in other words, is there anyone else here i can compare my experience with? does anyone know if the negative symptoms will go away or get better or stick around? and anybody know whats the "conversion" between Vyvanse and adderall? ie: 30mg addy-ir=40mg addy-xr= ??mg Vyvanse? or are they apples and oranges?
Old 09-10-07, 07:09 PM

TMI is on a distinguished road
I have taken Vyvanse 70mg. for about a week. Overall, I like it.

I switched taking a 30 mg. Adderall XR A.M. + 10 mg. Adderall IR in the afternoon. I think the dosage is about right except that it's gone in the evening.

It's a very clean medication. None of the fuzzy-brain or drowsy feeling that Adderall gave me. I sometimes feel something "just short of a buzz" come and go briefly throughout the day. Other than extremely good focus, I generally don't have much sensation or any indicators that the drug is active.

I hope this effectiveness doesn't die off.

Compared to Adderall:
1. SERIOUS COTTON MOUTH. As above, I've never had this on Adderall. This effect is moderating somewhat at the one week mark.
2. Appetite suppression. I never experienced much of a decreased appetite with Adderall. If anything, I ate a little more because I was more relaxed. But on Vyvanse, food tastes like cardboard and eating is very low priority. This seems to be abating slightly at the one week mark.
3. Better nighttime sleep.
4. No sore legs. After exercising, I'd have sore legs when taking Adderall. They'd feel bruised, and my shins hurt. I suspect some sort of circulation issue. I'm in good shape with no cardio abnormalities.
Old 09-11-07, 01:33 PM
Contributor

Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point
Vyvanse is the best stimulant, IMO. And it's cheap. WITHOUT insurance, $129 for 30 50mg capsules. Way less than half the cost of brand name Adderall IR.

Doctor Seuss Haiku
Old 09-11-07, 09:37 PM

Cooper2010 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon
Vyvanse is the best stimulant, IMO. And it's cheap. WITHOUT insurance, $129 for 30 50mg capsules. Way less than half the cost of brand name Adderall IR.
thats not quite the whole picture, though.....you can get generic addy, mine coasts $5 with insurance for 30 30mg ir tabs.........i havnt come across any generic vyvanse and the brand name is 7 times more expensive with my insurance for 70mg.......

also, i encountered another very.......VERY negative side effect of vyvanse......involving myself, my better half, and a very embarasing evening......and because of that, i've switched to 30mg addy in the morning and 10mg dextroamphetamine in the early-mid afternoon.......

apart from that side effect, i would recomend it to anyone who lives and works very close to a large supply of water (for the cotton mouth)....it was almost my ideal solution to ADD, but i couldnt handle the side effects
Old 09-13-07, 07:34 AM

Chromatic is on a distinguished road
If the come-down from Adderall was bad for you then Vyvanse is a good bet. It's smoother yet can provide the same benefits that Adderall does.

Also, let's face it, 4 different amphetamines can't be that healthy for you, especially long term. That's just my opinion anyway.
Old 03-18-09, 01:41 PM

pattihonea is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvance?

which website do you go to for a 30 day supply of vyanse? i just lost my apt in a fire and need help with everything.

Peace, Patti