ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 07-18-07, 06:04 PM

Quizonnil is on a distinguished road
Red face Strattera Withdrawl: The Affect of Alcohol??

I have been taking Strattera for about 2 years now and I take 60mg. My prescription was slowly ramped up to 80mg until I my friends kept commenting on my behavior when drinking. I became more irrational and actually got into verbal arguments! This is not something that I would usually do and one of my best friends even commented that I was, "Out of Character". I spoke to my physician about this and other issues i was having with the high dosage. I also had mono at the time which made me even more irritable. Either way, after returning to my lower dosage and being aware of my abnormal behavior I have not had other spells similar to before. Okay, so along with that and strattera I am confused about alcohols effects as you are withdrawn from strattera? So yesterday I was unable to take my usual dosage of strattera in the morning because I have to get the refil!! I went about my usual day (I also take adderall)... hoping to get a refil today. Last night after work while going out for a usual night at a comedy improv night I felt completely different then I usually do on the other nights going in the same crowd and same atmosphere. I felt like I became intoxicated extremely quickly in comparison to the other Tuesdays and acted much more irrational than usual (nothing bad happened, but it felt really different; very uncomfortable). Does not taking Strattera when you are use to taking it everyday actually change the affect that alcohol has? Are the withdrawal symptoms of strattera somehow associated with your response to alcohol?
Old 03-30-08, 01:46 AM

ionysis is on a distinguished road
Re: Strattera Withdrawl: The Affect of Alcohol??

I take 80mg strattera and 18mg concerta. I find I cannot drink ANY alcohol at all because of the mood disturbances it causes. After even 2 glasses of wine I get overly emotional, irrationally angry, weepy, and feel in the depths of despiar. Like having extremely bad PMS. I am irritated by noise, children, other people around me - you name it. If I drink excessively the next morning or later in the night I can get hysterical - sobbing or fits of rage.

I don't know whether this is just me but I can't go near alcohol at all. Not sure if it is the concerta or the strattera or the combination. I'm inclined to think it is the strattera because I only found this to be a major problem when I commenced taking that. I have been on Strattera now for nearly 3 months.
Old 04-02-08, 06:13 AM

KingofArg has disabled reputation

I've been on Strattera 2.5 years and Adderall XR for about 10 months. Since mixing in the Adderall I notice that alcohol has a stronger effect on me.

Also, drinking only a couple drinks on this combination makes me wake up at 5-6AM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-08, 06:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule, alcohol is discourage when on most medication as it can either enhance or suppress the effect of the medicine; in some instances it's a contraindication.