ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 07-25-07, 07:46 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold
Question Focalin XR vs Vyvanse?

Has anyone switched from Focalin to Vyvanse? 16 yr old Dd is primarily inattentive and has been on methylphenidate meds for about 8 years - Ritalin, Concerta, Daytrana and recently switched to Focalin XR (20 mg in a.m.). She tried Adderall in elementary school and crashed badly from it, and we haven't tried anything in the ampetamine family since then. She liked the Daytrana best because of how long it lasted, but I now realize the dose was too high (30mg), because after about a month, she started metabolizing the whole patch and was totally zoned out. We may end up going back to a lower dose patch if nothing seems to work better. She also takes Strattera 40 mg 2x (morning and night), which we titrated up to over a month.

She's been on the 20 mg Focalin XR about 6 weeks. Since this is summer, it's hard to tell what effect Focalin XR might have on school work. It seems to have helped with her mood, so that's good. It definetly "kicks in" b/c I give it to her when she's still in bed and she wakes up about 90 minutes later. However, she also gets really dragging and naps about 12 hours later, so I assume she's crashed. She's not very good at articulating what different meds do to or for her (typical lack of self-awareness), so I'm looking for someone a little better at articulating their experience.

We're trying to find something that helps with initiative, planning and follow through, not just inattention. Nothing so far has helped Dd get started on homework, chores, etc., or made it easier for her to remember to turn in the work she finally finishes. Home life is a constant state of turmoil because we have to nag, nag, nag about everything. She doesn't like it, we don't like it, but we haven't figured out what to do to get her motivated.

So, has anyone had experience with both classes of stimulants, particularly Focalin XR or Daytrana and Vyvanse? Which do you prefer and why? Thanks for any feedback you can give.
Old 07-25-07, 09:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough
Interesting post. As you are probably aware, Adderall is now available in XR form so that may help smooth out any problems of crashing/rebound compared to the IR version she used years ago.

I've used both classes of meds but can't tolerate methylphenidate. Vyvanse being 100% dexedrine and Adderall being 75% dexedrine (d-amphetamine) and 25% l-amphetamine so they are both very similar in some aspects. I've tried dexedrine but prefer Adderall. That 1/4 l-amphetamine acts a little harder and gives me what I call a 'motivational kick in the butt'. Early reports on Vyvanse sound good. Supposed to kick in earlier and last longer. Here is a neat link plus the site has tons of informative ADD info

http://www.askdrjones.com/2007/07/16...ment-for-adhd/

http://www.askdrjones.com/category/adhd/

Good luck! I hope you find the right med for your daughter.

J
Old 07-25-07, 10:16 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

wifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to beholdwifeandmom is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the response - a motivational kick the the tush is what we're searching for. When she was on the Adderall as a kid, she had more hyperactive symptoms and of course was half the size she is now. I know meds have to be modified or changed as the body changes and/or becomes accustomed to something (even things like pollen that give you allergies you never had before).

Thanks for the links; I saw a previous posting on one of the Vyvanse threads and read through Dr. Jones's site - even read the posting about Bush having ADHD!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-11, 09:34 AM

ADHDMOMx2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Focalin XR vs Vyvanse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
Thanks for the response - a motivational kick the the tush is what we're searching for. When she was on the Adderall as a kid, she had more hyperactive symptoms and of course was half the size she is now. I know meds have to be modified or changed as the body changes and/or becomes accustomed to something (even things like pollen that give you allergies you never had before).

Thanks for the links; I saw a previous posting on one of the Vyvanse threads and read through Dr. Jones's site - even read the posting about Bush having ADHD!

Trial and error will either make you or break you when it comes to children that have adhd. I have already raised one and he is 22 now and on no medication. I am currently raising my second one that is 13, which is a very trying age. I have had both on dexedrine, adderall, strattera, ritalin, concerta, and now vyvanse. Vyvanse in my opinion is my God send. My 13 year old does very well with this medication. He still gains weight normally. He still has an appetite, but yet he is able to focus on what his daily tasks are. This medication also still allows him to be a normal teen boy. He is not zombied out, nor does he even act like he is medicated. I love it. Would recommend anyone trying it. Good luck and let me know if you do.
Old 09-20-13, 10:19 PM

Feliren is on a distinguished road

My daughter is 9 years old and has been on Vyvanse for the last 5 years. She has also been on Intuniv for 4 out of those 5 years in order to combat some of the side effects caused by Vyvanse and her Oppositional Defiance Disorder. While on Vyvanse, I have found her to be extremely moody and aggressive, easily agitated and at times almost manic depressive. The medicine seems to last only 6-7 hours and when she is "crashing" it almost reminds me of a drug addict going through withdraws. While the medicine is "working" she tends to be focused but will easily become fixated on one single task and zone out completely. Another side effect she has experienced is lack of appetite and stunted growth. She has also had extreme sleep issues which have been remedied with Melatonin and Singular. Because of her side-effects outweighing the benefits of the medicine we have decided to give Focalin XR a try. I would love for her to one day function without medicine but that seems to be unrealistic as she is physically unable to control herself without it. Her brain completely shuts down without the assistance of medicine.

What I want to know is if Focalin XR has any type of mood swing side effects like Vyvanse does or if they are basically determined on a case by case basis.
Old 09-21-13, 01:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,722 Times in 5,942 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Feliren: the symptoms you've listed (moody, aggressive, easily agitated, sort of manic but not really, heavy crash, fixation on a single task, zoning out, continued total lack of appetite) - these are ALL telltale signs of a Vyvanse dose being too high, every last one of them, and NOT a sign that it isn't working - a one-step reduction in dose, or even a half-step reduction, might make a huge difference without needing to go through the mess of switching medications.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ana futura (09-21-13)