ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-07, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
Red face Oh help!!!

The name of the post is as important as the content. I want to get the attention of the reader. \

I feel a bit apprehensive about writing. I seem to write the words that I think but not how I feel inside. How do I connect with those feelings? Well today I had an appointment with the psych. doctor.
She increased the Straterra medication. I told her how my Psycologist sees the ADHD in me, I had a melt down during midterm and let it all out, the highs and lows, of who I am. Not a pretty sight, the tears came and fustration didnt trail to far behind.

She wants to increase the straterra before putting me a stimulant. She shared with me she thinks I could be bipolar but isnt sure. I dont have the highs and lows, yet I talk alot and have a probelm with the concentration and focusing on a task.

Where do I go from here. How do I get tested? Who test a person for bipolar?
I dont need to have another diagnoses with the Epilesy and learning disabiltiy. I know she thought I was bipolar several yrs ago, but changed the diagnoses, I have changed but because of the above symptoms she is not sure. She wants me to be diagnosed.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Old 08-14-07, 07:55 AM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Hi Chris.

Is your doc a phychiatrist? If she is she should be able to do the dx?
There is no test for BP. They use the criteria found in DSM-IV, your input, and family history. Just like most things there are no exact tests you can take. Like ADD. There are enough similarities in Combined Type ADDer's and BPII's that sometimes it's hard to see the difference, according to research I have done and from my own doc. That is most likely why I was diagnosed with the ADD first then the BP. The difference is the extreme mood swings, and timing of the onset...and how long those mood swings last. If you don't have them, I am not sure why she thinks that? I know you and I have met, and talked. I would have had you pegged for ADD right away, as I told you, but BP? hmmm

The best thing to do is to keep a "mood" journal for a few weeks track what is going on and then take it with you to your next appointment. If she insists you are BP and you don't feel you are, get a second opinion. This is not something you want to have, and you certainly don't want to be put on the medication for it if you are not. Never mind you will be missing the dx and meds you really need.

If you want I have some links you can research let me know, happy to send them to you, and some where around here, or online there are some mood charts. hmm gotta find them???

Sorry you are having problems. You know the number if you need me and I will try to actually be there or be awake when you call!

Take care,
Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 08-14-07, 10:38 PM

auntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the roughauntchris is a jewel in the rough
My doctor is a psychiatrist and she is not absolutely 100% that I am bipolar. She goes by what I say, she asked if I how my concentration was and told her I become distracted and have a hard time with staying focus and on task.

She said that was one of the criteria for bp that is why she want me diagnosed. You can call me too if you need to or want.

I dont seem to have the highs and lows that I heard that people with bipolar have, I do seem to have a lot of energy that I cant place it and talk alot.

A child's mind is like a shallow brook which ripples and dances merrily over the stony course of its education and reflects here a flower, there a bush, yonder fleecy cloud... -Helen Keller

Last edited by auntchris; 08-14-07 at 10:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-07, 11:01 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough
Well, in some respects I suppose distraction and failure to stay on task come along with bipolar but its not quite the same as it is in ADHD, IMO.

Here are the criteria for bipolar disorder:

DSM-IV Criteria for Bipolar Disorder

• Bipolar I Disorder
  • Bipolar II Disorder
  • Major Depressive Episode
  • Manic Episode
  • Mixed Episode
  • Hypomanic Episode
The definitions given below are from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, 1994 (American Psychiatric Association, 1400 K Street NW, Suite 1101, Washington, DC 20005-2403 USA).

Bipolar I Disorder--Diagnostic Features (DSM-IV, p. 350)

The essential feature of Bipolar I Disorder is a clinical course that is characterized by the occurrence of one or more Manic Episodes or Mixed Episodes. Often individuals have also had one or more Major Depressive Episodes. Episodes of Substance-Induced Mood Disorder (due to the direct effects of a medication, or other somatic treatments for depression, a drug of abuse, or toxin exposure) or of Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition do not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder. In addition, the episodes are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. . . .

Bipolar II Disorder--Diagnostic Features (DSM-IV, p. 359)

The essential feature of Bipolar II Disorder is a clinical course that is characterized by the occurrence of one or more Major Depressive Episodes accompanied by at least one Hypomanic Episode. Hypomanic Episodes should not be confused with the several days of euthymia that may follow remission of a Major Depressive Episode. Episodes of Substance- Induced Mood Disorder (due to the direct effects of a medication, or other somatic treatments for depression, a drug of abuse, or toxin exposure) or of Mood Disorder Due to a General Medical Condition do not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder. In addition, the episodes are not better accounted for by Schizoaffective Disorder and are not superimposed on Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Delusional Disorder, or Psychotic Disorder Not Otherwise Specified. . . .

Criteria for Major Depressive Episode (DSM-IV, p. 327)

A. Five (or more) of the following symptoms have been present during the same 2-week period and represent a change from previous functioning; at least one of the symptoms is either (1) depressed mood or (2) loss of interest or pleasure.

Note: Do not include symptoms that are clearly due to a general medical condition, or mood-incongruent delusions or hallucinations.
  1. depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day, as indicated by either subjective report (e.g., feels sad or empty) or observation made by others (e.g. appears tearful). Note: In children and adolescents, can be irritable mood.
  2. markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities most of the day, nearly every day (as indicated by either subjective account or observation made by others)
  3. significant weight loss when not dieting or weight gain (e.g., a change of more than 5% of body weight in a month), or decrease or increase in appetite nearly every day. Note: In children, consider failure to make expected weight gains.
  4. insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day
  5. psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day (observable by others, not merely subjective feelings of restlessness or being slowed down)
  6. fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day
  7. feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt (which may be delusional) nearly every day (not merely self-reproach or guilt about being sick)
  8. diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day (either by subjective account or as observed by others)
  9. recurrent thoughts of death (not just fear of dying), recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
B. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

C. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hypothyroidism).

E. The symptoms are not better accounted for by bereavement, i.e., after the loss of a loved one, the symptoms persist for longer than 2 months or are characterized by marked functional impairment, morbid preoccupation with worthlessness, suicidal ideation, psychotic symptoms, or psychomotor retardation.

Criteria for Manic Episode (DSM-IV, p. 332)

A. A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:
  1. inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
  2. decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
  3. more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
  4. flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
  5. distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
  6. increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
  7. excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)
C. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

D. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

E. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatments) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

Note: Manic-like episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g., medication, electroconvulsive therapy, light therapy) should not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder.

Criteria for Mixed Episode (DSM-IV, p. 335)

A. The criteria are met both for a Manic Episode and for a Major Depressive Episode (except for duration) nearly every day during at least a 1-week period.

B. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

C. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

Criteria for Hypomanic Episode (DSM-IV, p. 338)

A. A distinct period of persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting throughout at least 4 days, that is clearly different from the usual nondepressed mood.

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:
  1. inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
  2. decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
  3. more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
  4. flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
  5. distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
  6. increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
  7. excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)
C. The episode is associated with an unequivocal change in functioning that is uncharacteristic of the person when not symptomatic.

D. The disturbance in mood and the change in functioning are observable by others.

E. The episode is not severe enough to cause marked impairment in social or occupational functioning, or to necessitate hospitalization, and there are no psychotic features.

F. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

Note: Hypomanic-like episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g., medication, electroconvulsive therapy, light therapy) should not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar II Disorder.

So, as you can see, there has to be a lot more going on than distraction or inability to focus and stay on task in order to have bipolar disorder. These come along with bipolar, yes, but they don't necessarily define it completely.

Old 08-14-07, 11:59 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Bipolar disorder can be hard to tell from ADHD . Sometimes you just have to take the time to feel your way through it and the facts will eventually emerge. Be patient , your doctor is trying to sort it all out, and will have an answer for you soon enough.

I went through a long period of wondering if I had bipolar disorder along with everything else. It was a little disconcerting. My mother had bipolar disorder and eventually none of the meds worked for her and I watched her struggle with it for years. I realized at the time that it is not so severe for everyone and that it can be treated, but the idea of having bipolar disorder terrified me. Eventually it all got sorted out and I no longer had that doubt to deal with, and I was able to move on with my life. Either way, you have it or you don't and your life is no different with, or without the label.

Your psychiatrist is qualified to make the diagnosis.
You should ask him/her who to go to for it, imo.

Usually a diagnosis for bipolar is based largely on observation over time. I suppose a psychologist could make the dx, but you may wish to find someone specializing in mood disorders. Again,. you should ask your pdoc for a referral since he/she tought it was important to do in the fisrst place.

(((hugs)))
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntchris
The name of the post is as important as the content. I want to get the attention of the reader. \

I feel a bit apprehensive about writing. I seem to write the words that I think but not how I feel inside. How do I connect with those feelings? Well today I had an appointment with the psych. doctor.
She increased the Straterra medication. I told her how my Psycologist sees the ADHD in me, I had a melt down during midterm and let it all out, the highs and lows, of who I am. Not a pretty sight, the tears came and fustration didnt trail to far behind.

She wants to increase the straterra before putting me a stimulant. She shared with me she thinks I could be bipolar but isnt sure. I dont have the highs and lows, yet I talk alot and have a probelm with the concentration and focusing on a task.

Where do I go from here. How do I get tested? Who test a person for bipolar?
I dont need to have another diagnoses with the Epilesy and learning disabiltiy. I know she thought I was bipolar several yrs ago, but changed the diagnoses, I have changed but because of the above symptoms she is not sure. She wants me to be diagnosed.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)

Last edited by speedo; 08-15-07 at 12:29 AM..
Old 08-15-07, 12:34 AM

There is alot of technical terminology. It is all so hard to decipher through. I have been depressed but that does not make one bp. I have energy and talk because I like to talk and am a social person. I dont see the manic or depressive aspect in me at all. I use to be depressed or seemed depressed, and didnt want to do anything at all. I wonder if I am more a procrastinator and ADHD than bipolar.

She once thought I was bipolar, when I was hopitalized in a psych hopital. I was crying and alot of the ups and downs I had I have discovered are because of Menopause, for the last 11 yrs I have been dealing with Perimenopause, so I even wonder if the time I was diagnosed depressed ... was I really depressed.

There are just so mainy varibles. Thank you all for responding to my post. It iwas hard for me at a young age to be told I had epilepsy and when I entered school I had a learnign disabiltiy.

Now to have another label to be dealt with and bipolar No way. I dont see it.
I would rather it be ADHD, because I know how to deal with ADHD, but bipolar, I dont and to be honest dont want to.

I am sorry for the rambling. I love you all , no matter what, but I dont know if I could accept myself if I was bp.

Old 08-15-07, 12:41 AM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
Yes there are a lot of variables involved. That is why it can take so long to sort it all out.

The fact that I never have deep depression is why it was decided that I do not have bipolar disorder.... because I was SO manic at one point that I was very hard to contain and it looked a lot like bipolar mania.

If you do have it, you need to find out once and for all, so that you can get the right treatm,ent program going for yourself. It makes a big difference to get treated for the right disorder.

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntchris
There is alot of technical terminology. It is all so hard to decipher through. I have been depressed but that does not make one bp. I have energy and talk because I like to talk and am a social person. I dont see the manic or depressive aspect in me at all. I use to be depressed or seemed depressed, and didnt want to do anything at all. I wonder if I am more a procrastinator and ADHD than bipolar.

She once thought I was bipolar, when I was hopitalized in a psych hopital. I was crying and alot of the ups and downs I had I have discovered are because of Menopause, for the last 11 yrs I have been dealing with Perimenopause, so I even wonder if the time I was diagnosed depressed ... was I really depressed.

There are just so mainy varibles. Thank you all for responding to my post. It iwas hard for me at a young age to be told I had epilepsy and when I entered school I had a learnign disabiltiy.

Now to have another label to be dealt with and bipolar No way. I dont see it.
I would rather it be ADHD, because I know how to deal with ADHD, but bipolar, I dont and to be honest dont want to.

I am sorry for the rambling. I love you all , no matter what, but I dont know if I could accept myself if I was bp.
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 08-15-07, 12:58 AM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
You write: "She thinks I could be bipolar".

Why? What was her clinical reasoning?

Are you having the same problems as some other bipolar folks? Do you get Manic? Do you stay awake for days? Do you get delusions? Do you get feelings of superiority? being really "high"? Are you doing wild stuff? (e.g. some folks wind up getting forcibly hospitalized or arrested; empty their bank accounts of $25 000; flip out on people in narcisstic rages when manic and destroying many rel'ps, etc.)

I can't seem to see that in your post.

---------

I know nothing about your medical history, so my comments are just intuitive to what I seen in so many suffering people (esp women).

Your symptoms sound like a lot of people -- and they aren't necessarily bipolar. They aren't even always ADD.

-The main thing seems to be your HIGH level of distess and suffering, which suggests to me that in several places in your life, your needs aren't being met.
Perhaps they have not been getting met for a long time?

-Your post gives VERY VAGUE reasons why you are having these "emotional meltdowns". However, on the contrary, I tend to believe that there always ARE reasons for suffering (however remote and forgotten in time). You may want to explore that.

-You don't identify the current EMOTIONAL stressors (or stressful people and factors) in your life, either. (e.g. many distressed people have dysfunctional relationships and communication patterns in their life; invalidation from others, etc)

-You seem to not be able, as you say, to express much or write much about your feelings. (Other than saying thinges like "meltdown". That is not a feeling, that is an outcome of "pushing down/ignoring" and "not naming" and "not tracking" One's many feelings, til they create a Tidal Wave that drowns the person.)

This concerns me.

People who are pretty much unaware of their feelings (Alexithymia?) are always going to be prone to "Meltdowns", as they are unaware of things until they are overwhelmed.

They can't see that their volume control is turned to "10", until it is _at_ "10", and they are having a "meltdown".

Last edited by QueensU_girl; 08-15-07 at 01:17 AM..
Old 08-15-07, 01:25 AM

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
- JUSTHOPE's idea about trying a Mood Journal is a good one.

- You may also want to track your menstrual cycle too, as the Progesterone we release prior to menstruation can case intense Dysphoria in some women. (e.g. first day of period is Day 1) (I track my menstrual cycle, too. LOL Discovered my migraines triggered by perfumes, are totally cycle-related.)

-Since moods & energy levels, aren't always occuring in a Vacuum: you might want to Chart the Triggers (internal/external) that improve or worsen your mood (such as activities, issues, settings, conversations, people, exercise +/-) -- if you can identify them. There are certain people I can talk to who just drain me and sap my energy, etc.

You might make some surprising links!
Old 08-15-07, 01:33 AM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Chris.....

To reiterate...Combined type of ADD can appear to be like BPII....knowing you, and talking to your personally, in real life. You strike me as a typical ADDer. I told you that when we chatted ....

If your moods are not extreme in nature, have a pattern....BP might be easier to rule out. I don't know why they would rather lable you as BP, than ADD? But then again I am not doctor. Just a simple observation, from chatting here, on the phone and in person quite a bit. I mean I have seen people come in here...say they have ADD but they are doing this and that...and I ask them if they have checked into BP and wala withing weeks or months...they are dx wiht it? But I just don't feel that way about you. It's just my opinion though.

And geez wouldn't BP be so much easier to dx if we were all pyscho nut cases, hearing voices, getting arrested, and emptying bank accounts. Sadly for our BPI brothers and sisters that can be the case, But for the others in the very LARGE spectrum...we don't fit in that nice neat...society ignorant box. Some rapid cyclers , cycle in the same day, within hours. (like me) Some every other day...and longer. But we DON'T have the extremes of BPI's. That makes it difficult to nail down. Another large indicator is family history. Got a BP in the family..part of the diagnostic criteria...you have a very very good chance to have it....
Now back to the difficulty in the differences in ADD/BP...I believe because it can be so close, that is why I believe I was dx with Combined type ADD first 13 year ago. And then just got the Cyclothymia/BPIII dx last year. And I had good doctors, and a very smart nurse mother and sister...who worked with the mentally ill. It's just not that simple.

I can tell you Chris. Since you do have lapses in memory about your cycles...or triggers.....I can only repeat myself...here...get a journal...and track your moods over the next month. There are mood charts online. Print them out, and do it every day. I know it's hard to commit too, since you struggle wiht the prograstination, staying on task issue. But do whatever you can to remind yourself at night before your curl up wiht Penny. SEt and alarm clock or something to do it.
That will be most useful for your doctor, or whoever you end up going to for the dx.

And listen Chris...if you end up being BP. We will all be here for you. I told you, my dx almost crushed me. But at the same time....it explained everything in one fail swoop. And in some oxymoronic way, it has given me more of a reason to live. Because I want people to stop being ignorant and making it so hard to "come" out of the closet for us, making folks like you feel like BP is a death sentence. It doesn't have to be.

Chris...here if you need me. I like Speedo's suggestion. Perhaps finding a doctor who specializes in the "mood disorders" like BP, depression etc...would be a wonderful thing. And put a close to a long lingering question in your life.

Take care!

Hope

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 08-15-07, 09:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Spongedaddy has a spectacular aura aboutSpongedaddy has a spectacular aura about
I only have two things to add

1) I hope you feel better

2) Remember labels only exist when we allow them to. Even if you are bipolar it is just a thing you have. At it's foundation it is no different than any other condition which causes pain and we try to deal with. You will find a lot of people who are unsupportive, judgemental, etc., but that is simply a reflection of their mental state. If you look around this world you will see that most of it is quite mad. Some of us just have some additional conditions that cuase pain and discomfort. At least you are taking care of it and are honest enough to communicate what you are feeling. I know a ton of people who can't even do that with little things let alone something big like this. I think you are doing great.
Old 08-15-07, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
If you do have it, you need to find out once and for all, so that you can get the right treatm,ent program going for yourself. It makes a big difference to get treated for the right disorder.

Me
Exactly , if I do have it! that is the question, but in my opinion, I DON'T! I dont have the manic and depressed states that bipoar has I do get sad and happy and have alot of enegry at times.

Old 08-15-07, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl
You write: "She thinks I could be bipolar".

Why? What was her clinical reasoning?

Are you having the same problems as some other bipolar folks? Do you get Manic? Do you stay awake for days? Do you get delusions? Do you get feelings of superiority? being really "high"? Are you doing wild stuff? (e.g. some folks wind up getting forcibly hospitalized or arrested; empty their bank accounts of $25 000; flip out on people in narcisstic rages when manic and destroying many rel'ps, etc.)

I can't seem to see that in your post.

---------

I know nothing about your medical history, so my comments are just intuitive to what I seen in so many suffering people (esp women).

Your symptoms sound like a lot of people -- and they aren't necessarily bipolar. They aren't even always ADD.

-The main thing seems to be your HIGH level of distess and suffering, which suggests to me that in several places in your life, your needs aren't being met.
Perhaps they have not been getting met for a long time?

-Your post gives VERY VAGUE reasons why you are having these "emotional meltdowns". However, on the contrary, I tend to believe that there always ARE reasons for suffering (however remote and forgotten in time). You may want to explore that.

-You don't identify the current EMOTIONAL stressors (or stressful people and factors) in your life, either. (e.g. many distressed people have dysfunctional relationships and communication patterns in their life; invalidation from others, etc)

-You seem to not be able, as you say, to express much or write much about your feelings. (Other than saying thinges like "meltdown". That is not a feeling, that is an outcome of "pushing down/ignoring" and "not naming" and "not tracking" One's many feelings, til they create a Tidal Wave that drowns the person.)

This concerns me.

People who are pretty much unaware of their feelings (Alexithymia?) are always going to be prone to "Meltdowns", as they are unaware of things until they are overwhelmed.

They can't see that their volume control is turned to "10", until it is _at_ "10", and they are having a "meltdown".
Queen, her reasoning is that I still dont concentrate and I talk alot. The psych Dr said though she is not 100% convinced that I am bipolar. She needs more evidence.

I dont do wild stuff, that is far from me. I dont stay awake for days either.

YOu mention that youare concerned : meltdowns is a word I use when I am upset and act out inappropriately. I know alot of my behavior in the last 10 yrs of crying in the hallway at ballet class was all due to the onset of perimenopause, the other students would ask Melanie what is wrong with Chris? She would say to me and the others is all hormonal. She is right, I havent had a cycle for 2 yrs come this December. I am on horomones and am a lot better. I dont cry, I am pleasent to be around compared to how I use to be .

I have been hospitalized on my own accord, and have grown from the the experiences and the stay at the hospital.

As for being vaque, I have a hard time finding the words to say how what I want, its not that I cant. I express myself very well when i write essay on the computer for my test. So I can say how I feel, but to this is the internet and am cautious too.

Old 08-15-07, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhope
Chris.....

To reiterate...Combined type of ADD can appear to be like BPII....knowing you, and talking to your personally, in real life. You strike me as a typical ADDer. I told you that when we chatted ....

If your moods are not extreme in nature, have a pattern....BP might be easier to rule out. I don't know why they would rather lable you as BP, than ADD? But then again I am not doctor. Just a simple observation, from chatting here, on the phone and in person quite a bit. I mean I have seen people come in here...say they have ADD but they are doing this and that...and I ask them if they have checked into BP and wala withing weeks or months...they are dx wiht it? But I just don't feel that way about you. It's just my opinion though.

And geez wouldn't BP be so much easier to dx if we were all pyscho nut cases, hearing voices, getting arrested, and emptying bank accounts. Sadly for our BPI brothers and sisters that can be the case, But for the others in the very LARGE spectrum...we don't fit in that nice neat...society ignorant box. Some rapid cyclers , cycle in the same day, within hours. (like me) Some every other day...and longer. But we DON'T have the extremes of BPI's. That makes it difficult to nail down. Another large indicator is family history. Got a BP in the family..part of the diagnostic criteria...you have a very very good chance to have it....
Now back to the difficulty in the differences in ADD/BP...I believe because it can be so close, that is why I believe I was dx with Combined type ADD first 13 year ago. And then just got the Cyclothymia/BPIII dx last year. And I had good doctors, and a very smart nurse mother and sister...who worked with the mentally ill. It's just not that simple.

I can tell you Chris. Since you do have lapses in memory about your cycles...or triggers.....I can only repeat myself...here...get a journal...and track your moods over the next month. There are mood charts online. Print them out, and do it every day. I know it's hard to commit too, since you struggle wiht the prograstination, staying on task issue. But do whatever you can to remind yourself at night before your curl up wiht Penny. SEt and alarm clock or something to do it.
That will be most useful for your doctor, or whoever you end up going to for the dx.

And listen Chris...if you end up being BP. We will all be here for you. I told you, my dx almost crushed me. But at the same time....it explained everything in one fail swoop. And in some oxymoronic way, it has given me more of a reason to live. Because I want people to stop being ignorant and making it so hard to "come" out of the closet for us, making folks like you feel like BP is a death sentence. It doesn't have to be.

Chris...here if you need me. I like Speedo's suggestion. Perhaps finding a doctor who specializes in the "mood disorders" like BP, depression etc...would be a wonderful thing. And put a close to a long lingering question in your life.

Take care!

Hope
Hope... I will try the journal, I hope I can remember* hehehe* . I dont think that BP is a death sentence, and I dont want any one here to think I dont like them because they are BP or anything else.

I had a hard. extremely hard time accepting myself when I found out I had epilepsy and did everything I could to be normal. When I was a teen I dint take my medicine because as a youngster thinking people who take medication arent normal ( this is my thinking as a 11 yr old and thru my teen yrs.) My aunt came over from Toledo one day. Well, Mom must have told her I wasnt taking my meds, and she sat me down( now you have to picutre a very Italian woman being firm but loving.) She dumped her purse out on the kitchen table, and told me okay, this medication is for my heart, and this on is for ..... what ever. She had at least 5 medications in her purse. I love my Aunt and always will, so she was normal, even though she took medication. Wow what a shock.

Okay i stared taking my meds again, but still had problems with mom and dad. I thinking of how they thought of me and like Mom was only there for me medically and didnt seem nurturing but she was, it is hard for me to remember some of those things as a child.

I see her love know. I have learned to see them in a differnt light and from how they grew up. the both grew up in the depression era, and worked hard for what they acheived.

Okay, my doctor doews want me to get diagnosed from someone other than her. She said my psychologist whould know someone who would test me for ADD, Dyslexia and Bipolar.

I do have a probem with the procrastination, and focusing on my studies, house work, and cooking. Sorry for rambling on, and hope this makes sense.

I cant believe the post response I am receiving. Wow. I am touched.

Old 08-15-07, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
I only have two things to add

1) I hope you feel better

2) Remember labels only exist when we allow them to. Even if you are bipolar it is just a thing you have. At it's foundation it is no different than any other condition which causes pain and we try to deal with. You will find a lot of people who are unsupportive, judgemental, etc., but that is simply a reflection of their mental state. If you look around this world you will see that most of it is quite mad. Some of us just have some additional conditions that cuase pain and discomfort. At least you are taking care of it and are honest enough to communicate what you are feeling. I know a ton of people who can't even do that with little things let alone something big like this. I think you are doing great.
Thanks sponedaddy.

I am doing alot better than when I first strarted the forum in Jan.05.
I was a mess. I couldnt eat, or wouldnt. I think we all want attention to some level, but I wanted attention for others I admired but went tried getting it in the wrong way.

About the label thing, yeah I know it only applies if you allow it to. That is a hard one to over come. When you receive accommodation in college it make me feel different, and not like every one else.

I dont want to use excuses like I use to wehn I was younger. I am afraid of that too. I know you guys are here for me no matter what . Thanks for your support all of you. It made a big differnce how I see things.

Thanks for the nice compliement Spongedaddy. I feel better too.