ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 08-21-07, 09:40 PM

xxx007 is on a distinguished road
Adderall: Does high temp storage effect it?

I just started my 4th month of Adderall XR. I noticed today that it seemed to work better than the last few months. I never read all the info that comes with it but I bet it says something about storing it at a normal temperature.

I always kept mine in my car so I didn't forget it. The last few months it has been hot...90's. Who knows what the temp was inside my black on black car..120's..130's?

Anyway, do you think this could effect the adderall? I keep them at home now!
Old 08-21-07, 09:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

cloud1 will become famous soon enough
Oh.....yeah. Mine says to kept in a cool dry place. I keep mine in my purse. So I would think leaving it in the hot car it would lose some of its "power". I take IR but I guessing it would be the same for XR. I think this is the general rule of thumb for all meds though.

Also some people have had their car broken into and had their Adderall stolen so that might be another reason to not it in your car.
Old 08-21-07, 09:53 PM

ossity is on a distinguished road
High temperature can effect medication by denaturing it, this can either make it non-effective or alters the effect. You should aim to store below 25 degrees celcius (not sure what the is in degrees Farhenheit though!) or as per the manufacturers recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-07, 10:55 PM

Ok..I remember my 10th grade science class (23 years ago): C= F x 9/5 + 32.

So. 25 x 9/5 + 32 = 77 was I right? I swear I didn't google a conversion chart.
Wow, meds still working?? Maybe it was the heat all along?
Old 08-24-07, 04:51 AM

taters is on a distinguished road
I live in az and ive kept my meds in my car at 120 outside let me tell you that you dont want to do that. the capsuls where pretty much melted and bubble and it really didnt work the same im sure it was the heat.
Old 08-24-07, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

pedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to all
Keep in mind that heat causes chemical reactions to occur. Heat causes the atoms to vibrate faster. This vibration can cause a molecule to lose atom(s) and combine with other 'lost atoms' to create entirely different compounds. Or, it can cause a regroupment of molecules to lose the bonds between each other, causing things like turning ice into water. That said, a lot of things in our environment stay pretty stable at earth-like temperatures (else they wouldn't be this way). It makes you wonder what kinds of medicines they could make if high-heat or low heat is needed to maintain a particular molecular structure, never mind the throat-burning problem

Anyway, point is, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to your pharmacist about what might have happened to your pills.
Old 08-25-07, 01:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
I've read that we shouldn't even carry meds in a pants pocket because body height affects the pills.

Phaedrus

Old 08-25-07, 01:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah the heat can destroy the extended release.

Are you finding your meds are wearing out sooner than normal?
Old 08-26-07, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozchris
Yeah the heat can destroy the extended release.

Are you finding your meds are wearing out sooner than normal?
Yes they did wear out faster. I have a new batch now and they seem to be lasting longer..About, 10 hours. Thanks for the response. I keep them cool know.

btw..Some of you guys sound like scientists..Are you googling this stuff or did your have meds in school?

I wish I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-07, 10:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Often it can affect medications, yes.

Never keep it in your bathroom cupboards (humidity from shower/bathing) or in a kitchen cupboard that is near a stove/oven or a fridge (refrigerators in staying cold, expel their internal heat via the hot coils on the back, kinda like an air conditioner unit).

Cars get incredibly hot. This is why kids and pets (more sensitive than humans) overheat so easily and die.

You are north (MN) but I've lived in N. Ontario (across Lake Superior from MN) and it gets darn hot up there in vehicles in the summers, too.

Sometimes "light" is a factor in breakdown too, hence tinted Pill bottles.

[for extreme example, H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) has to be kept out of ALL light.]

Heat accellerates chemical reactions, including breakdown of chemicals.