ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-27-07, 07:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all
Aricept/Donepezil for SCT and ADHD-PI?

I notice a few old posts on Aricept. I was wondering if anyone has got around to testing it. Its officially approved
for memory problems associated with Alzheimer's disease.
But its theorised that the inattention associated with SCT and ADHD-PI might be a short term memory manipulation
problem (at a higher level of abstraction).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donepezil
Old 08-29-07, 09:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memantine

What about Memantine for the same purpose?
Old 09-06-07, 04:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Aricept I have seen in books described for the memory problems associated with ADHD, but it's not a direct treatment and some doctors may not prescribe it as some will only prescribe drugs for FDA approved uses.

Memantine, known by it's brand name Namenda, does not improve memory function but instead helps prevent brain cell death by lowering the levels of a brain chemical called Glutamate. This in turn, helps maintain stability in patients with moderate to moderate-severe alzheimers. This drug helps keep the disease from getting worse.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-07, 06:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsavy006
Aricept I have seen in books described for the memory problems associated with ADHD, but it's not a direct treatment and some doctors may not prescribe it as some will only prescribe drugs for FDA approved uses.

Memantine, known by it's brand name Namenda, does not improve memory function but instead helps prevent brain cell death by lowering the levels of a brain chemical called Glutamate. This in turn, helps maintain stability in patients with moderate to moderate-severe alzheimers. This drug helps keep the disease from getting worse.
Interesting there was an andeotocal report of a person on an aspergers forum site who claimed to have some amazing results with memantine. Though he stopped posting shortly after that. A person I know online from the UK said his doctor has suggested Aricept for his SCT/ADD.
When and if that happens I will relay his results here.
Old 09-06-07, 07:11 PM

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Ok. Currently from what I've read, Namenda is currently undergoing study for the use in PDD, Autism, and Asperger's Disorder. Aricept on the other hand has been found to be benificial to some patients with either of these 3 or ADD. However, Aricept is not FDA approved for those uses, hense some "old school" doctors may not prescribe it.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 09-06-07, 11:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

trying has a spectacular aura abouttrying has a spectacular aura about
I'm very interested in this (aricept) as well, perhaps as an augmentation to traditional stimulant therapy. I think it would dull possible negative anticholinergic impairment of cognition that methylphenidate may produce, and also allow for more modest doses.

I recommend searching the dr-bob forums, there are a few successful accounts of aricept in ADD/ADHD there.
Old 09-07-07, 08:29 AM

For those wishing to know how Aricept works, it works by increasing the levels of a single brain chemical called Acetylcholine. This improves memory function and the ability to perform tasks of daily living, as seen is studies. In accordance to the FDA, Aricept is approved for all stages of Alzheimer's: mild, moderate, and severe. The main 2 side effects that seem to occur with all Alzheimer's medications, including Aricept and Namenda, are nausa and vomiting. There are studies underway to learn more about Namenda's uses for PDD, and hopefully there will be benefit with this drug. Aricept has been shown in studies to help PDD and AD/HD but is not FDA approved for such uses.

Old 09-08-07, 12:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

I have been reading about Aricept on dr-bob's forum. The navigation on that website is an abomination.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...68b0d8e2c27caf

That study is interesting it mentions nicotine and Aricept
in mice trigger some Tourette's syndrome like effects. I think its fairly common that stimulants make tourettes worst.

Quote:
We have previously reported that acute and chronic donepezil and nicotine administration significantly attenuate DOI-induced head twitch response (HTR) in mice. This behavior, primarily mediated by stimulation of 5-HT2A receptors, has been proposed to model tic symptoms seen in Tourette's syndrome (TS).
Nicotine might be a cholinergic receptor agonist. Anyway it would be interesting to know what effect nicotine or similar drugs used in combination with Aricept might have on ADD.

I looked some more and there is a study on it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

Quote:
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2002 Dec;74(1):213-20.
Links
Chromaproline and Chromaperidine, nicotine agonists, and Donepezil, cholinesterase inhibitor, enhance performance of memory tasks in ovariectomized rats.
Luine VN, Mohan G, Tu Z, Efange SM.

Department of Psychology, Hunter College of CUNY, 695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA. vluine@hunter.cuny.edu

Chromaproline and Chromaperidine, two recently synthesized and pharmacologically characterized nicotinic agonists, and Donepezil (Aricept), an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor approved for the treatment of memory loss, were evaluated for effects on performance of a visual recognition memory task (object recognition) and a spatial memory task (object placement). Ovariectomized female rats received the drugs chronically via subcutaneous Alzet minipumps. None of the drugs altered activity in the open field or the time spent exploring objects in the field. One week following initiation of treatment, all three drugs enhanced performance of the visual recognition task, but only Donepezil enhanced performance of the spatial memory task. With a longer period of treatment (3 weeks), the nicotinic agonist Chromaproline also enhanced object placement performance. Current results show the memory-enhancing efficacy of Donepezil in two additional memory tasks in rats and suggest that the novel nicotinic agonists, Chromaproline and Chromaperidine, may also be useful new drugs for the treatment of memory impairments/loss.

PMID: 12376170 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Hmm my bad does not seem to be a combinational study.
Old 10-11-07, 10:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Re: Aricept/Donepezil for SCT and ADHD-PI?

I've been using Huperzine A since 9-30-07. At first 2 x 200 mcg daily then 2 x 100 mcg. I just started taking 4 x 50 mcg today (half-life seems to be a few hours).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huperzine_A

No way to be objective to how its improved working memory in the short term. In one study it improved spatial
working memory. I do seem to have an easier time moving
3-d object around in my minds eye. Though alone it does not boost my productivity.
Old 10-13-07, 04:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Actually galantamine is probably superior to either aricept or huperzine in this indication, since besides hitting acetylcholinesterase it stimulates nicotine receptors directly, which will promote dopamine.
Old 11-17-07, 10:43 PM

KERPAHIN is on a distinguished road

I actually take Huperzine A once a day (500mg, i think)and I think that i get some benefit. The half life of hup-A is actually about 24 hours, I believe. If nothing else, it seems to be long lasting to me when taken with dexedrine.

I tried numerous other what I think are called anticholinergic 9(?????) agents, like choline, l-acetylcholine, dmae, etc, to try to improve my memory. All of these others seemed to have a short term and questionable benefit. the LAC in particular seemed to actually worsen my memory.

Per Ray Sahelian, hup-A did a better job with acetylcholine than Aricept. fwiw.
Old 11-17-07, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
The half life of hup-A is actually about 24 hours, I believe.
Shorter-acting drugs of this type are preferable to me, for I suspect it's actually a bad thing to have acetylcholinesterase knocked out during sleep. Will probably impair the deeper phases and hence sleep quality.

Quote:
anticholinergic 9(?????) agents, like choline, l-acetylcholine, dmae, etc,
Choline and l-acetylcholine you would consider cholinergic, or procholinergic (i.e., augmenting choline function). Substances with anticholinergic activity include the OTC antihistamines diphenhydramine and dimenhydrinate, as well as things like scopolamine and atropine -- these are not conducive to concentration or cognition, they are mentally dulling. The jury is still out on whether DMAE actually improves cholinergic function, and in fact there's theoretical basis to assume it's actually anticholinergic -- however, there are some very interesting, older studies on its use in "minimal brain dysfunction" (what we then called ADHD) that showed it as comparable to methylphenidate over time. There's still a lot we don't know about this supplement. Improves lifespan of animals at certain doses, decreases lifespan at high doses. I believe DMAE is procholinergic, judging by the effects that I get from overly high doses that mimic acetylcholine overload.

Quote:
the LAC in particular seemed to actually worsen my memory.
Cholinergics have a very strong dose-response curve, where high doses will produce negative effects. Can l-acetylcholine even cross the blood-brain barrier? If not, you just get uncomfortable muscular effects.
Old 11-18-07, 12:05 AM

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re 8

Yes, nicotine is an Ach agonist. There are two groups: the nicotinic and the muscarinic, iir.
Old 11-18-07, 12:09 AM

QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

re 11

i see that stuff comes from China.

i'd warn about taking any medicine or supplement from china.

They are profit oriented, have no quality control (GCP) and don't care if their products kill pets or humans.

They put Plastic (melamine) into Wheat protein (gluten) to "boost" the protein content measurements. (So it measures higher, not is "more nutritional"._

Who wants to eat a carcinogenic plasticiser like Melamine? That's the stuff they make counter tops out off. And ofcourse, it kills Housepets.

Scary stuff.
Old 11-18-07, 12:11 AM

re: acetylcholine VERSUS acetylcholine-esterase

Keep in mind that one is the chemical, and one is the enzyme (which destroys it when it's done it's work).

Enzymes always end in "-ASE". Ach-esterase, therefore, is responsible for BREAKING DOWN Ach.

They are not the same thing.