ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 08-28-07, 09:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Desperate1 will become famous soon enough
Motivation in a pill?

I have a genuine question, and I want to be clear I am not asking in order to stir up debate or question the answer either way (though civilized debate is good and educational). I'm actually very much interested in people's experiences with this:

This question applies to all of us who deal with "motivation" issues.

Who here has seen increased motivation that they can directly attribute to their medication?

I keep reading about different meds and people's experiences with them, good and bad. And something I see every so often is the testamonial, "I have more motivation."

I have NO motivation right now. Haven't had it all my life, don't have it on Adderall and don't expect to have it on Provigil when I start that.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a pill giving me "motivation." But this is something people keep saying.

I'm wondering if it's sematics. Is it that the pill removes enough obstacles (lack of focus, lack of energy) that a person is now able to movitate themselves?

That seems to me to make sense.

But the testamonials don't say that. They say something along the lines of "X medication works great for me. I have focus, energy, and motivation).

For that matter, I've seen where people say "Since being on X medication, my self esteem and confidence is much better." And by this I absolutely assume they mean it's because they're able to focus better and have the energy to do things to make themselves feel better about themselves, which leads to the increased self-esteem and confidence.

But the statements about motivation seem more ambiguous. It's almost listed as a if the lack of motivation was an ailment that was cured by said medication.

All my life I've beaten myself up over my lack of motivation. I felt it was something I needed to do myself. My extreme lack of energy definitely contributes to my lack of motivation, but beyond that, I always chastised myself. Suck it up, Desperate1. Take the reigns of your own destiny.

Don't I have to do this myself? Or am I being too hard on myself? Adderall increased my focus to some degree. I'm crossing my fingers that Provigil will provide the wakefulness I so desperately seek.

But motivation? How can that come from a pill? Does this make sense, what I'm asking?
Old 08-28-07, 09:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
I have found that stimulants actually decrease my motivation. I don't really get it.
Old 08-28-07, 09:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah for some people it works backwards.

Stimulants generally increase motivation, focus, energy etc.

Maybe you need to find something you really enjoy doing? pills won't give you all the motivation to do things that you don't like. I found concentrating on a career that I'd actually enjoy was a big factor in increasing my motivation (without meds).
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

jeremynd is on a distinguished road
Also make sure to maybe take some vitamins everyday.

Mine will be arriving tomorrow...

Last edited by lars; 08-29-07 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: No posting of links to for-profit businesses.
Old 08-28-07, 11:05 PM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Desparate1, have you given any thought to a low dopamine level? It's notorious for being a cause of low motivation. I am trying something new with my son on the TAAT therapy, because he also has very low motivation, and hope the amino acids will help to increase his dopamine levels, giving him more mental energy as well. It's just a thought out there for you.
Old 08-28-07, 11:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Desperate1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozchris
Stimulants generally increase motivation, focus, energy etc.

Maybe you need to find something you really enjoy doing? pills won't give you all the motivation to do things that you don't like. I found concentrating on a career that I'd actually enjoy was a big factor in increasing my motivation (without meds).
Thanks for all your responses guys!

Oz, I guess you just hit on my question. What does it mean "Stimulants generally increase motivation, focus, energy, etc." I read things like this all the time.

But when you say motivation, what do you mean? Motivation to do things you like or want to do but couldn't seem to get motivated to do before?

Or motivation to do things you just aren't interested in or don't want to do or don't get excited about?

I have things I LOVE doing, but no energy to do them because of the fibromyalgia and cfs.

But even before the fatigue became unbearable, I had trouble getting motivated, even to do things I wanted to do.

The way I assumed it would work is that medication might (hopefully) give me back enough energy to be able to work on getting motivated to do things I want to do.

And in order to get motivated to do the things I don't want to do or that don't interest me but they have to get done, I'll just have to work even harder at.

So in that sense, I never thought of a medication as increasing my motivation. I always considered it something that was up to me to motivate myself.

I just never thought of motivation as something you can "get." I always thought of it as on par with things like responsibility or something that you have to "give" yourself or learn to have. I've always seen it as tied to my own "self" and that in order to get it I have to work on something within me. I don't know if I'm making sense here.

Some things I've read, it's like you pop a pill and all of the sudden you're "motivated," like you just get things done that you never did before. I can't picture it.

I was just wondering what everyone actually means when they say their meds increased their motivation.
Old 08-29-07, 12:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of lightozchris is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperate1
Some things I've read, it's like you pop a pill and all of the sudden you're "motivated," like you just get things done that you never did before. I can't picture it.

I was just wondering what everyone actually means when they say their meds increased their motivation.
I've found lots of people get a kind of energy from stimulants that makes them want to do things, even things they don't like doing. I'm not sure how I can explain it. I guess the energy it gives you makes things easier so you don't mind doing them so much.

You might not get this effect because of the other conditions you mentioned, some people just don't get this effect regardless of other conditions.

Trying another med is a really good idea, you might find one of them makes you more tired while others give you energy/motivation.

If you think of other drugs like anti-depressants. benzos and alcohol they tend to make people lazy and un-motivated. It's like that just backwards...if that makes sense.

You might need a higher dose if you want to feel this but just be careful and talk to your doctor about it.
Old 08-29-07, 12:30 AM

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
I don't remember any experts claiming that ADHD medications increase motivation for people with ADHD. Difficulty getting started and finishing things (don't laugh at my technical terms here, it's late ) are symptoms of ADHD and I don't remember reading that medication will improve that. On the other hand, as I age, my almost thirty year old, medicated, son's hyperactive energy makes me feel absolutely sloth-like until I remind myself that I am a lot older than that puppy.

What motivates me?

* a paycheck
* a deadline
* other people
* entertaining company
* the weather
* an inquiring mind

Phaedrus

Old 08-29-07, 12:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl
I don't remember any experts claiming that ADHD medications increase motivation for people with ADHD. Difficulty getting started and finishing things
That's strange I'd think stimulants would definitely help with these sorts of things.

*"Professor Chris Hollis, who is leading the research, said: “Both behavioural and drug treatments have an affect on the brain — what's unique about this study is that in this case we believe both increase motivation and thereby switch on the brain's 'braking mechanism'."

*http://www.hi2u.org/adhd/behavioural_rewards.htm
Old 08-29-07, 12:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

trying has a spectacular aura abouttrying has a spectacular aura about
>ut when you say motivation, what do you mean? Motivation to do things you like or want to do but couldn't seem to get motivated to do before?

Yeah. Basically things that I want to do, but bored me after five seconds when I actually tried to do them. Or that I forgot to do.

I want to exercise, to brush my teeth, to read books (god, I miss reading books), to get my life in order, to do my homework, to socialize, to write.

Remember that the effects of these drugs are strongly dose-dependent.
Old 08-29-07, 12:53 AM

Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying
>ut when you say motivation, what do you mean? Motivation to do things you like or want to do but couldn't seem to get motivated to do before?

Yeah. Basically things that I want to do, but bored me after five seconds when I actually tried to do them. Or that I forgot to do.

I want to exercise, to brush my teeth, to read books (god, I miss reading books), to get my life in order, to do my homework, to socialize, to write.

So, Trying, do the ADHD meds increase your motivation?

Phaedrus

Old 08-29-07, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozchris
That's strange I'd think stimulants would definitely help with these sorts of things.

*"Professor Chris Hollis, who is leading the research, said: “Both behavioural and drug treatments have an affect on the brain — what's unique about this study is that in this case we believe both increase motivation and thereby switch on the brain's 'braking mechanism'."

*http://www.hi2u.org/adhd/behavioural_rewards.htm
Thanks for the link, Chris. So is the study finished? Was the hypothesis correct?

Phaedrus

Old 08-29-07, 12:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Just some other stuff I found that's a little more relevant.

Quote:
This latest study, on humans, indicates that Ritalin significantly increases levels of dopamine in the brain, thereby stimulating attention and motivational circuits that enhance one's ability to focus and complete tasks.
*http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/2...pr011501a.html

Apple - No idea about the study, wouldn't mind finding out the results though
Old 08-29-07, 01:02 AM

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying
Well said.

An important thing to remember for those who never experience motivation from these medications is that we each can, and do respond differently to these drugs more often than not.

I for one have been experiencing motivation from prescription stimulants for over 15 years now. Some more so than others.

Adderall was the only stimulant I ever tried that did not provide me any motivation whatsoever, and it actually demotivated me. It's been my experience that it certainlly pays to try as many different ADHD drugs as your Dr is willing to let you try until you find one that feels like a good fit.

Not only did I find that different stimulants could have stark differences for me concerning the issue of motivation, but I also experienced a difference in motivation between different brands of generics of the same drug. In fact in one case I was even able to noticed a difference in motivation between two different strengths of pills from the same manufacturer. For example, I found that taking two of the 5mg Mallinckrodt IR dex tablets were more motivating than taking one of the 10mg Mallinckrodt IR dex tablets. Food for thought.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Old 08-29-07, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl
Thanks for the link, Chris. So is the study finished? Was the hypothesis correct?
No worries, I found it!

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/public-a...te=12-aug-2005

Over the course of the three-year project, funded with more than half a million pounds from the Wellcome Trust, the team will use functional magnetic resonance imaging and recordings of brain electrical activity to study the brain functions of both normally developing children and those with ADHD taking drugs for the condition. The project draws on expertise across the disciplines of clinical and cognitive neuroscience: ADHD (Professor Chris Hollis), electroencephalography (Dr Mario Liotti), functional magnetic resonance imaging (Professor Peter Liddle) and cognitive development (Dr Gaia Scerif).

It is hoped that by asking the two groups of children to perform simple computer tasks while measuring brain activity, the researchers can identify the mechanisms at work when either medication or rewards for correct performance are given.

It looks like this was a press release announcing the funding for the study which hadn't begun yet.

Phaedrus