ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

View Poll Results: Which Meds works for you?
Adderall 5 55.56%
Ritalin 2 22.22%
Dexadrine 1 11.11%
Other 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-04, 07:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Is Adderall stronger than Dexadrine and Ritalin

I have taken Adderall, Ritalin, and Dexadrine...i have noticed Ritalin is powerfully strong...then doc put me on Adderal which is supposed to be stronger...but it seem the same strength. Now that I am on dexadrine I noticed the same strength at 20 mg a day..But some people say Adderal is better than Ritalin and Dexadrine..if these three meds are all related stimulants...how can one be better than the other...it's all the same to me except for the price(outrageously high) of course.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 02-03-04, 09:58 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
From what I've read, it depends on the dosage. Typically the dosage for dexadrine and adderall (both amphetamines) is about 1/2 that of Ritalin - so technically they are stronger. But of course things work differently for different people. They are all stimulants, acting by boosting the levels of dopamine available in the brain, but they do it in slightly different ways (I think). Depending on how your brain chemistry works, some might work better than others.
Old 02-03-04, 10:04 PM

I always found ritalin made my brain tingle and heart beat as fast as a jackrabbit..but that was not the case with adderall and dexadrine..Hmmm. Of course I did take a lot more ritalin then I was supposed to at the time(dumb kid that I was). I have heard doctors describe dexadrine milder than adderal and ritalin..maybe they didn't know what they are talking about. (sarcasm->)Surprise Surprise Surprise

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-04, 10:41 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,862 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Mel,

Try and remember that with ADD meds, results will vary by person, by medication and by dosage. Its hard to compare meds to one another, when looking at someone else's results. To determine what works for you, YOU need to try them

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 02-03-04, 11:01 PM

Actually I havce tried all three meds even starteera(that did not work for me at all) but the stimulants all worked the same..(taken the right way..melanie marie)

Old 02-03-04, 11:13 PM

But you are right BIG everyone's body chemestry is different. I have to keep remembering that..doh!