ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-07, 02:11 AM

Shakaku is on a distinguished road
David from Kansas City Missouri

Greetings all,

My name is David and I have had ADHD my entire life. I was diagnosed with it at an earlier age and it has been a struggle. Once placed on meds, such as Ritalin, I was able to concentrate and managed to get through college and earned a B.A in History and a B.A. in Anthropology from the University of Missouri- Columbia. Like most of us out there, I lack organization and I have lots of trouble focusing on one single end goal and cosntantly "Switch tracks". I enjoy a fast paced environment and the thrill of the chase, so to speak. I love to write, but occasionally have issue with "structured/formalized" writing.

Currently, I am looking for a "career" and I occasionally substitute teach to help pay for my bills. While in college. I was fortunate (or perhaps unfortunate) to not have to work while recieveing my education and could therefor devote myself entirely to my studies. Sadly, this did not prepare me for the real world and when I left college with my degrees I had no idea what I could do with them! Whats worst, I lack the job experience to be marketable. I don't mind working my self up in a business and starting at the bottom of the ladder I just can't seem to find which ladder I need to climb.

My passion in school was Anthropoloy, primarily Cultural Anthropology. I like to study people! I would love to do ethnographic research as a profession and get some actual fieldwork! Sadly though, I have not been able to find a job in this field and career advisors (and most employers) have little to no concept what a Cultural Anthropologist does. Career paths in the field of anthropology seemsreserved only for those with a PHD or Masters and even then work seems limited to academia. At the moment I'd just like to do something to get my foot in the door without having to start up a Master's program, I don't have the money for a Master's right now.

I considered becoming a teacher for awhile but soon discovered not long into the graduate coursework that I just couldn't handle the workload associated with being a teacher, dealing with upset parents, or negotiating non-sensical administrative policies.

I currently live at home with my parents and am 24 years old. My parents have helped me with my ADHD my entire life but I feel like I am a strain on them and I know my inability to find work "In my career field" is beginning to ware on their patience.

I love to bicycle off-road, expecially on deer-trails and enjoy the outdoors immensly. I also am shamelessly addicted to National Geographic, the Discovery Channel, and History channel, and other "documentry" type stations.

I am currently quite...stressed...and feeling rather morose due to the fact I can't seem to get into my desired career "niche".

As far as meds go, I just started Metadate CD 60 Mg but it makes my heart raise a bit too much for my liking and I'm going to go back to the doctor soon to see if I can get a lower dosage.

Anthropologist do it in the field.
Old 09-11-07, 02:19 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

Interesting username, what made you choose it?
Old 09-11-07, 02:23 AM

Shakaku is on a distinguished road
I've had it for a number of years. Orginally I was told it roughly translated in "Fire Angel" and I seem to have a bit of an obsession with mythical beings, especially firebirds and phoenix mythos.

Anthropologist do it in the field.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-07, 02:58 AM

Guest1 will become famous soon enough
welcome i had it all my life to and i still live at home also dont worry we cool still atleast you did collage some of us havent and cant do collage so feel proud i wanna be a teachers aide but i need a 2 year but collage wont let me with my adhd it sucks but is life
Old 09-11-07, 07:26 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the forums. Have fun posting.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 09-11-07, 10:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough
Welcome To ADDF, David!!!

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children