ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-07, 08:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about
Adderall and Abilify?

Anyone else on this combo? I just started it again last week. Was wondering how others are making out with the combo. I take Adderall 20mg TID and Abilify 15mg QD.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 01-08-08, 09:25 PM

hazed0903 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Adderall and Abilify?

Hello:

I'm new here, and in search of talking to others that suffer from this horrible disorder. I have to go for bloodwork because my psych is thinking of adding abilify to the Aderall XR 20 mg that I take.
Do you have any information that you can share? I never knew this forum existed, and I'm very happy to be able to communicate with others about having BP and ADD.

Thanks in advance!
Marisa
Old 01-10-08, 09:54 PM
Contributor

adhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really nice
Re: Adderall and Abilify?

I was taking these two, plus Seroquel. {Adderall 80-100mg., Seroquel 100-200 mg. and Abilify 10 mg.} I was doing well (rather hypomanic) for a bit on the combo, but the Abilify started causing such severe restlessness that I had to stop taking it. I'm still severely restless, though, so the problem might not be the Abilify, it might be me. I upped the Seroquel to 200 mg., but no help, so I guess I'll take 250 mg. tonight and see if that helps.

Just curious-- why do you have to go for bloodwork before adding the Abilify. The two are perfectly safe to take together insofar as I know.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 01:23 PM

sweets is on a distinguished road

ADHD and Bipolar.

I'm on Adderall and Abilify plus Lamictal and Seroquel for about 4 months now. I can't tell you how badly I needed to-be on these medicines. Prior to starting the meds I was self medicating with Energy pills, pot, and alcohol. Which none of the self medicating helped with the mania I was going through.

So far no side affects on the cocktail of drugs, the Seroquel can make you figidy and unable to sleep if you take to high of a dose, it's one of the worse feelings ever, your tired and figidy at the same time. I take 100mg. at bed time

Abilify has been amazing for me for my mania, I didn't realize how much until I went off for about a week b/c my script ran out and I had a bad manic episode. I take 20mg at 7pm.

Lamictal has pretty much wiped out my depression, I'm not overly happy all the time but not depressed to the point I don't want to get out of bed.
I take 200mg at 7pm.

Adderall has made a huge diffrence in my day to day, what I was self medicating with was the engergy pills. My production at work has gone up and my focus is at an all time high. I take 20 mg every morning when I wake up.

Long story short is my doc's drugs are alot better than what I was doing for about 8 years prior.
Old 01-23-09, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

notmADD is on a distinguished road

I've been on Abilify & Adderall for nearly 3 wks and have had great results. I like it much better than Lamictal...no muscle tension and it pulled me out of my depression.
Old 03-02-09, 01:38 PM
Jr Member

mydsrtsky is on a distinguished road

Greetings! Was wondering at what dose did you start the abilify? I am rather new to meds and quite sensitive to side effects...thanks in advance! Candice
Old 03-02-09, 02:11 PM

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

If you are very sensitive to medications you will want to work very slowly with Abilify, probably about 1mg every week. I'm being very serious on this one. It's not a med to fool around with. I went up too fast with Abilify and got akathisia rather fast, so I had to be discontinued from Abilify and I was on 15mg/day...

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 07-10-09, 02:59 PM

vetver will become famous soon enough

I am on Cymbalta 60mg, Adderall 20+10+10 and Lamictal 100+100mg.
We recently upped the Lamictal from 100 to 150 to 2000.

But still.... I have so little energy all day, and very little motivation to do anything. Also my jaw clenches frequently, and it is hard for me not to want to snack or chew gum or something esp late at night (former smoker here, quit Nov 2007)

There were times I felt like I was making progress and chipping away at my responsibilities... Felt great. But then there are weeks I think "I'll do better tomorrow" but I am so listless I just want to sit at the computer...

I am still late frequently, losing 10 or 20 minutes trying to do "just a few more things" before I leave the house or just missing it. I am trying to actively notice the time with more clocks etc.

Doc says I am ADD and have symptoms of Atypical Bipolar. I can be cranky, anxious, or happy and impulsive. These drugs DO help me as a mother, giving me the pause I never had esp in dealing with noise and chaos in my home with 3 kids. I don't yell at my kids nearly at all compared to before these drugs. I don't experience 'mania' like I have read about, except maybe I get overexcited about topics I am passionate about and will talk too much. I do feel totally compelled when I get on a topic or interest - Like I can spend 7 hours at a thrift store because I "have to" look at everything.

But... it seems like my 'get up and go' has been permanently lost. I might have one or two days out of 10 that feel like I am doing well and making progress on my goals. I am overwhelmed and often don't know where to begin... so I don't.

I am seeing my Psychiatrist every 2-4 weeks depending on what we are doing. She has mentioned Abilify as an option but I was afraid to move because of how the Cymbalta has helped me with my kids.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-09, 03:11 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Maurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of lightMaurice is a glorious beacon of light

msam76, Abilify is to be taken to boost the effects of an anti-depressant that is doing enough.
Why on earth would your doctor prescribe Abilify on top of Adderall?? Since Adderall is not an anti-depressant.
This does not make any sense to me. Are you taking an anti-depressant that you didn't mention?

Maurice
Old 07-10-09, 05:16 PM

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

According to the Abilify website it's approved for Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, and as an add on to antidepressants. I'm sure Abilify is used off label for several things though.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 07-10-09, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

nwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nice

Make sure you get a EKG too. I just started Abilify and my Dr. made me do an EKG as there is a small risk of heart conditions if you have heart problems.

Adderal 40mg, Paxil CR 36.5mg Abilify 2mg
Old 07-10-09, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

nwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nicenwbucket is just really nice

I started taking 2mg and then we will move to 5mg in a few weeks. When used as an add-on to an anti-depressant you really don't need to take much to get an effect. I have seen more posts about people going too high and having to come back down than anything else as I have searched so the slower the better.

I have been on for about a week and have not noticed much but the web site says it will take 2 weeks or more, plus on the lower dosage it may not be enough so if you start you will need to be patient. Say you end up at 10 or 15 that may take a few months to get to that dose and realize the full effect of the med.

Because of the long half life it does take a while to go to full effect, and us ADDers are not good at waiting. Best advise just from reading tons of posts online about this stuff is just to take it slow. It is supposed to work well for about 40% of people, but most of the people that posted neg. stuff, lowered the dose and it got better. I would think it would be better to start small, go slow and avoid the bad stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to nwbucket For This Useful Post:
Yellow (04-27-11)
Old 09-25-10, 12:24 AM

mimewar is on a distinguished road

I take Adderall 20mg a day, and I just started Abilify 2mg a day. I'm diagnosed ADD, and I will find out in a week, if I am also Aspergers. So far no dramatic change, but from what 2 of my friends say, I may get my brain back. I miss thinking at full power, and getting things done, and have the energy and ambition to finish the projects I start. Come on brain, you can do it!
Old 05-20-11, 04:24 AM

cronk9 is on a distinguished road

I have been bipolar for as long as I can remember along with ADHD. I self medicated for years and when I was given medications like Seroquel, Lithium and a slew of other drugs and they took away my adderall, I stopped taking my bipolar drugs for about a year and started self medicating. Those drugs made me gain about 35 plus pounds in less than six weeks and I was not even eating. So when I moved back north, I found a new team of doctors and they introduced me to a new selection of medications and you know what, I have not felt this good ever in over twenty years. I suffer from Anxiety and it is bad, I have been on Klonopin for over eight years. I take two milligrams twice daily. I was up to eight mgs. 2mgs, four time a day. now I am only at half of that in only two months...let me tell you my list of issues and the current list of medications I am on. My doctors beleive the less medications or the lower the dose you can use, the better it is for you! I started low, and they have worked me to my current level and I again feel great, sleep great and am from what I told a fun person to be around...it is not like walking on eggshells any longer. Ok here is a list of my disorders.
ADHD
OCD
PTSD
BPD
BiPolar

Server Depressive Disorder
Oppositional Defiance Disorder
Anxiety
Agrophbia (Sp)
Mild Tramtic Brain Injury (very Mild) I hold two Master's Degrees;
Bulimia Nervosa, Exercise Enduced
Body Dysmorphic Disorder
Alcoholic (6 months clean)
Conduct Disorder
Hypothyroidism
Anyway, as you all can see I have a list of problems that come and go with some of them being chronic and never leaving...this is not a list to brag, it is a list that has made me wonder what I had done in a previous life to deserve such a life...anyway since I started this new cocktail of medication, I have not had any problems with any of the aforementioned issues...like I said, I now have friends and people want to be around me.
I take:
Abilify: 5mgs daily
Topamax: 100mgs 2x daily
Adderall: 20mg 2x daily
Cymbolta: 60mg 2x daily
Cytomel (T3) 12.5mg daily
Thyroid Med (T4) .05mcg daily
Klonopin 2mg 2x daily
Fish Oil 1200mg 3x daily

Within one week, I could feel the difference. I can sleep, I wake rested and can focus. I am at peace but I dont feel numbed out and still feel creative and myself. I am funny and happy and again I am making new friends. My doctors enjoy seeing me, unlike before. lol... the only blood tests I need is every six months to ensure my thryroid is in the proper zone. All the other drugs are fine and they just tell me to watch for the normal side effects and to keep getting my annual physcials.
I like feeling good and not having to worry about gaining all that extra weight since heart problems as does diabetes runs in my family.
When I started my new meds, I started with the abilify, which started working within the first week, then the topamax, then the cymbolta... by the time I was on the cymbolta, I was a brand new man...that really helped with the anxiety and depression. Now I am tappering off of the klonopin and my goal is to be free and clear of it within the next four months and the mind fog it can bring with it.
I hope my short book helps. If it can help with my novel of issues, I know it can help you. You have to have faith and confidence that you will find help. Sometimes it is just waiting out some of the small annoying side effects long enough for you to see the great benifts on the other side. Good luck

I am glad this site is hear! I was wondering if anyone else was on the same cocktail as I of ADHD, Abilify, Topamax and Cymbolta as I am... if anyone is, please let me know how you are doing!!

Mark
Old 11-23-11, 12:43 AM

sKeTchyKk is on a distinguished road

I take adderall x 20mg twice daily, celexa x 40mg, neurontin x 300mg morning + 300mg afternoon + 1200-1800mg nightly, and just started taking abilify x 5mg as well.... Does anyone know of possible interactions or side effects to be cautious of?? Thank you in advance for any feedback...