ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-25-07, 01:35 PM

julian32 is on a distinguished road
Gay Men/ADHD

Just putting this out there: Is anyone aware of any studies that may indicate that ADHD is found more commonly in gay males than heterosexual males?

I'm gay and happily married to my partner, we were married last fall. If anyone else out there on this forum is gay, what are your thoughts on setting up a Gay/Lesbian ADHD thread? (If you're comfortable with it)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julian32 For This Useful Post:
forestcreek (10-27-10), vpilar (09-09-14)
Old 09-25-07, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

pedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to allpedalpounder is a name known to all
I don't know of any such studies, but that would be very interesting. An anecdotal point is that I have a gay coworker and he's full on ADHD. (I found out when I talked about Strattera with him and said "really? I'm on that too!")
Old 09-25-07, 02:11 PM

Full On ADHD

Pedalpounder:

I'm discovering what Full On ADHD is: I was oficially given my diagnoses yesterday with 'ADHD Combined Type-Severe'. LOL
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 02:20 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
I have been hyperactive my whole life and although I am not particularly gay, I have managed to fall head over heels for two different men, and have relationships with them, my last relationship was with a female and she was borderline so as much as I had loved her I had to end it because she was nuts, being a straight in the middle bisexual and severely AD/HD is close to gay but one of the guys I loved once upon a time, was gay and was an undiagnosed AD/HD, he was worse with getting the bills paid than I was if that's isn't ADHD??
Old 09-25-07, 02:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

At Heart has a spectacular aura aboutAt Heart has a spectacular aura about
Hi there Julian,

I live and work in a community that has a very high population of gay/lesbian's. As a matter of fact, two of the psychiatrists that I have worked with are gay (one male, one female). I wonder if they have an knowledge of this, or have read any studies. It certainly would be an interesting question to pose with either of them (they would not be offended). My hunch is that there really is no correlation, but I certainly could be wrong.

At Heart
Old 09-26-07, 02:05 PM

Hey! Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep posting
Old 11-24-07, 07:23 PM
Jr Member

mirkle is on a distinguished road
Re: Gay Men/ADHD

Hi julian just joined the forum and was mosying around to see if there was an ADD/gay bit of it. I notice you havent had a whole load of posts since August, so I guess there isnt really a raging need, but anyway, I would have liked it if there had been. I used to belong to OUT (its mainly a UK gay forum) but couldnt really keep up, so gave up. Also I would spend a ridiculous amount of time reading the posts and composing replies which I woudl revise over and over and then not send. I spent a ridiculous amount of time reading stuff and became obsessed with whether someone had replied to somehin I had posted or not. I like it here though - it feels much more relaxed somehow ...
Old 11-25-07, 08:11 PM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

one of my daughters best friends is a gay man age 20. I really dont know if he has ADHD. but I really swear he is bipoler with all of his mood changes he goes thru. he really goes from very very high to very very low. He is a wonderfull person, but his mood swings really worry me sometimes that when he is down he will hurt himself.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 11-25-07, 11:18 PM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice

Great idea to start a GBLT/ADD thread. I am a PFLAG and would enjoy hearing your thoughts on GBLT and life with ADD. I too doubt there is a higher rate of ADD than the population as a whole, but studies do show higher rates of depression-most likely from intolerance, family and friend rejection, and other self-concept issues.

You will be accepted here-that you can be sure of.
Old 12-04-07, 12:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

amnorvend is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of a gay ADD thread, but why limit it to gay men? I think it would be a good idea to have one for the whole GLBT community.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amnorvend For This Useful Post:
KDLMaj (01-31-09), neuroticme (04-13-08)
Old 04-08-08, 12:52 PM

trent77 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have thoughts on gay dating and adhd? I find it makes it hugely more complicated than it already is! Non-adders are just so terribly boring to me (they speak too slow for starters), but going out with another adder seems to result in multipolar disasters of cataclysmic proportions!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trent77 For This Useful Post:
neuroticme (04-13-08), Tonylong (10-05-13)
Old 04-08-08, 04:00 PM

Mike77 is on a distinguished road

"I like it here though - it feels much more relaxed somehow..."

I have same feeling. Yesterday I was googling a bit and I stumbled on some topic here I wanted to reply to. I think mostly because of bad experiences on other forums I got a bit depressed in a way that reminded me of bad times in past. Lol, I even announced my leave right after. But I think I'm gonna stick around a bit too..

About the gay thing.
I did read somewhere that majority of fully inattentative ADD people are in fact female. And I think I also read somewhere that there's some psychiatrists that think ADHD somehow is male version of ADD and difference is mostly because of different raising and posistion in society between males and females.
If that's true, well it explains everything doesn't it?

I'm not gay btw!

Just kidding. Well I think I'm not gay but I wouldnt mind being gay except for the uglyness of males..
Old 04-08-08, 04:42 PM
Jr Member

jarrydb is on a distinguished road

I think our brains must have been installed upside down and back to front... lol!

I'm also gay and have ADHD

I wonder what makes our heads so different?
Old 04-09-08, 07:47 PM

airboy2 is on a distinguished road

The gay ADD dating idea is great-as far as i can see there is no site for this and many gay guys with ADD must, like me, have real problems being accepted and making any relationships work,because vast majority of gay guys dont want to know you....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airboy2 For This Useful Post:
tomtom (01-31-09), Tonylong (10-05-13)
Old 04-12-08, 02:04 PM

Thanked 4,814 Times in 2,049 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.....

If ADD gay guys with ADD find that most other gay guys don't click with them because of the ADD surely that would be an indication that the level of ADD/ADHD or knowledge of it's quirks is not obviously higher in the gay community.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was found that the bi-sexual and alternative sexuality/lifestyle scenes had a higher level of the ADD neurological marker(s) because of the ADDers apparent desire to experiment and seek stimulation impulsively and in novel ways. However I would suspect that the level of diagnosed ADD might be less as the ADDer finds themself in a culture where impulsivity, chaos, intuition and the search for stimulation are accepted as normal behaviours.

In addition one must be very careful when looking at this sort of thing. Firstly, in the UK anyway, undertaking research that could link homosexuality to a genetic marker/disorder/environment or seeks to find the "cause" of non-heterosexuality is a political hot potato.

Secondly even if there was found to be a higher level of ADD/ADHD in the homosexual and transgender community that does not mean that the two spring from the same root cause.

Must admit that being the only ADDer in a skirt at weddings doesn't seem to cause many problems initiating relationships with males or females of a variety of ages, sexualities and marital backgrounds.

kilt