ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Focalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)

Old 09-26-07, 02:09 PM

chickenbrain is on a distinguished road
adderall VS focalin

hi all!

i started using adderall 20mg XR last week and have been feeling side effects im not sure i want to deal with. dont get me wrong--while the med is working, i am so attentive and driven now! but...the side effects.. i am pretty much ready to go to my doc and talk about other options. without knowing anthing about adderall, she just gave it to me. now im doing all sorts of research about it, including other meds.

these are the side effects i been having on adderall for one week:
hangover on the rebound
headache
anxiety--had an anxiety attack while not on it yesterday
upset stomach
sores in mouth? on tongue? sore throat--despite drinking at least a gallon of h2o a day.
INSMONIA!!!

of all the side effects, i would say the anxiety is the worse. of course the hangover and insomnia sucks too...

next time i go back to my doctor, i want o be given some options of meds to take, so now i ask...

in your people's opinion, what are the differences between adderall and focalin? i have heard that focalin is easier on the body--is that true? at least for anxiety.

is there a potency difference between the two? does one normally keep you more attentive than the other at the same dose?

when i google all the meds, they all say the same side effects, but i want to know if one med is known for less side effects than others.

thx!
Old 09-26-07, 07:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the roughlars is a jewel in the rough
I think you should follow your instincts about going and talking to your Dr.

Most people experience some type of side effect or another from these drugs more often than not, but what you are describing sounds to me like something your Dr needs to know about for sure. Your Dr would want to know if what he/she prescribed for you was not working out as well as you both had hoped it would, especially if it's your first use of a prescription stimulant.

Please follow through on your feeling about talking to your Dr. I hope that you can keep us posted on how this unfolds for you.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
~ Dr. Seuss

Old 10-24-07, 11:40 AM
Jr Member

antimony is on a distinguished road
Re: adderall VS focalin

I feel alot of similiar side effects....especially the anxiety touches home with me....was expecting a more relaxed euphoric feeling. Its almost like I needed a Xanax. Maybe I can get back on clonopin to help with the anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-09, 08:57 AM

Rabbit is on a distinguished road

adderall contains 75% of the effective (dextro) isomers of amphetamine, while focalin is dextro-methylphenidate (only the right-handed, or active molecule of Ritalin). "Worst Pills/Best Pills" lists Focalin as:

dexmethylphenidate (FOCALIN, FOCALIN XR)
We list this drug as a Do Not Use drug because it has no advantage over similar drugs with longer safety records (generic Ritalin, methylphenidate)

Adderall is a mixture of amphetamine salts, 3-1 effective to non-effective levo (or left-handed molecules). DextroAmphetamine contains only the effective stereoisomer of amphetamine, and has fewer side effects.

To correctly establish the diagnosis of ADHD requires the use not only of medical but also of special psychological, educational, and social resources. Many children diagnosed with ADHD actually have problems that are primarily caused or worsened by inadequate teachers, unsuitable educational settings, or by problems with their parents. Similarly, many adults diagnosed with ADHD may have interpersonal problems that need to be dealt with by psychotherapy.
Old 03-13-09, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

elegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the roughelegy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
adderall contains 75% of the effective (dextro) isomers of amphetamine, while focalin is dextro-methylphenidate (only the right-handed, or active molecule of Ritalin). "Worst Pills/Best Pills" lists Focalin as:

dexmethylphenidate (FOCALIN, FOCALIN XR)
We list this drug as a Do Not Use drug because it has no advantage over similar drugs with longer safety records (generic Ritalin, methylphenidate)

Adderall is a mixture of amphetamine salts, 3-1 effective to non-effective levo (or left-handed molecules). DextroAmphetamine contains only the effective stereoisomer of amphetamine, and has fewer side effects.

To correctly establish the diagnosis of ADHD requires the use not only of medical but also of special psychological, educational, and social resources. Many children diagnosed with ADHD actually have problems that are primarily caused or worsened by inadequate teachers, unsuitable educational settings, or by problems with their parents. Similarly, many adults diagnosed with ADHD may have interpersonal problems that need to be dealt with by psychotherapy.
Worst Pills/Best Pills is a pile of *********, btw.

OP - Different meds work for different people. That's what makes this whole med thing so dang hard - what helps one person can make the other a miserable mess.

I can tell you that, in regards to Adderall/amphetamines vs. Focalin/methylphenidate, methylphenidate tends to stimulate the peripheral nervous system more than the amphetamines. Basically meaning that there's a higher chance of physical side effects with Focalin/Ritalin/Concerta etc.

Personally, I've tried Adderall XR, Vyvanse, Focalin/Focalin XR. Focalin is by far the most effective for me. Adderall and Vyvanse put me straight to sleep.

But the only way to know what will work best for you, is to try the med. Your doctor will try and prescribe the med he/she feels is more likely to help you than the next one.

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. "
The Following User Says Thank You to elegy For This Useful Post:
Mesaana (03-06-11)
Old 03-13-09, 04:12 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

focalin works well. I take ritalin ir , was on concerta ... too much drama , dumbed it down and back to normal
Old 03-16-09, 09:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

VanReal has a spectacular aura aboutVanReal has a spectacular aura about

I noticed blurry vision when I took it, but I don't sleep well so attributed it to that. My head-shrinker also told me that drinking coffee with it is probably not a good idea because of potential jitters, and I am already a little anxious normally so she doesn't want me bouncing from the ceiling when I am supposed to be getting some serious work done. I am a little disturbed reading that it has not been tested for use longer than 6 weeks, what am I supposed to do after that?
Old 07-07-09, 08:50 AM

palancar is on a distinguished road

Focalin and Adderall work in very different ways. One may work for someone and not another. Try both to see what helps you. There's a reason why they have different kinds of meds that work different ways. Talk to you doc and try the other med.
The Following User Says Thank You to palancar For This Useful Post:
starry (01-11-13)
Old 05-23-11, 11:02 PM

Onetimer212 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I literally just made this account and probably will
Never post again but I felt like I should give you some advice. I am fairly sure that that anxiety you are feeling is linked to the Extended release. In my opinion it's always been far to much for me...who needs adderall so much that it should keep going all day? When I take XR I get anxious and by the end of my day when it's time to go home I'm
Void of all joy or excitement. I'm
Not depressed I just alwas feel blah blah blah. That being said I'm also fairly sure that focalin is usually more powerful that adderall. If I can give any advice it's this: When you are feeling adverse affects always decrease the amount you are taking and never take XR. If you feel like you need another dose then redose yourself, don't leave it up to the drug itself...he doesn't know! Haha. Honestly man. Try the blue ten milligram adderals. I take half in the morning and half after lunch and I'm golden. Slightly euphoric, concentrated I'm even pleasant and fun to chat with! Not grinding my teeth and silently introspective like I am when I take too much. I hope this helps. P.S written from my I phone sorry for errors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Onetimer212 For This Useful Post:
Jammer (03-11-14)
Old 05-29-11, 11:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

BalanceisKey is on a distinguished road

i like what was said above its important to realize when you're on to much, you may think more will help more but it really isn't like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to BalanceisKey For This Useful Post:
Jammer (03-11-14)
Old 08-08-11, 11:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

Agreed.

However... many people here can attest to sleeping difficulties im sure. Also, i aswell as others surely are reluctant to start cocktailing to address this. Sometimes feeling lethargic means your actually lethargic. Increase in dosage somewhat compensates for this... not that it's healthy for you by any means, but it happens.

Any thoughts on adderall vs. Focalin abuse potential? I am personally weary of ir medications, have been down "that road" before... Am on Vyvanse now it's much smoother but lacks something i cant put my finger on
Old 08-08-11, 12:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,164 Times in 554 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

I had insomnia and other problems on 20mg Adderall XR so reduced the dose to 10mg, and had no more problems for the next year. Side effects but nothing too bothersome.

I'm now trying Dexedrine, still 10mg. It seems to have a little less kick but less anxiety too. I think the anxiety was feeding my shyness and perfectionism a bit too much, even though it was very slight.
Old 08-25-11, 12:37 AM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel652 is a jewel in the roughDaniel652 is a jewel in the roughDaniel652 is a jewel in the rough

im still trying to figure out this focalinXR, tommorow will be my first double dose in a day...i dont get that euphoric feeling. i dont recall getting any feeling actually, i almost feel as though if i dont get that euphoric calm my brain down feeling, i wont have a good day

Old 08-25-11, 09:44 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Do most people feel focalin works better than Ritalin? Which is more effective?
Old 08-28-11, 07:36 PM
Contributor

Alex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really niceAlex9 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Do most people feel focalin works better than Ritalin? Which is more effective?
Well focalin is just the D-methylphenidate, where as ritalin has both L-methylphenidate and d-methylphenidate. The "D" isomer is supposed to have most of the therapeutic benefits while the "L" isomer is supposedly completely ineffective against adhd. Therefore 10mg of focalin is supposed to be equivalent to 20mg of ritalin, but without the side effects.

I thought that while focalin did have less side effects than ritalin, focalin simply didn't seem to work as well for me as the equivalent dose of ritalin.

It might be worth trying focalin since it's comparable to ritalin, but at least for me, ritalin was slightly more effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex9 For This Useful Post:
hollywood (10-02-11)