ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Ritalin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Ritalin (methylphenidate)

Old 10-10-07, 09:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

sportbikechic will become famous soon enough
Beta-Blockers with Ritalin?

Does anyone use this medication combination?

I suffer from migraine headaches; Propranalol was recently prescribed for prevention. It causes me to be tired during the day though. It is also to reduce my heart palpitations from anxiety/evening panic feeling.

The Ritalin was working fabulous; however was causing increased evening anxiety. So I stopped the treatment....but miss it

I am wondering if the combination of a beta blocker for migraines and anxiety along with Ritalin will work for me?

Anyone??

Old 10-17-07, 10:32 AM

sprite has disabled reputation
Re: Beta-Blockers with Ritalin?

Hi sportbikechic,

How is it going with the beta-blocker? I am thinking to ask my doctor for some because I have bad social anxiety, and I read that beta-blockers help control blushing and shaking. The blushing causes me social anxiety all on it's own. I find it soooo embarassing. Plus sometimes it triggers the hives!!

Anyway...haven't asked my doc yet but I think I will next time I see him. So I am interested to hear your experiences with this medication.
Old 10-17-07, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jackinbox is on a distinguished road

You could switch to a more specific beta-blocker, like atenolol. Atenolol work on the physical effects of anxiety (tension, heart beat) but not on the brain.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-07, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

sportbikechic will become famous soon enough

Propranalol did not help with my anxiety at all. I still had the racing heart and palpitations. I went on it for migraine prevention.

I took it for 2 weeks; I had to stop taking it. I was so TIRED zzzzzz! Lethargic, just an overall yucky feeling.

I have alot of positive energy and enjoy having energy; I hate feeling so tired that I cannot get out of my own way. I didn't want to go for a walk or go to the gym....nothing.

***I also read on (askapatient.com) about how many have experienced SEVERE weight gain. Yikes!! Not for me!!!!

It does work for alot of people; I have heard that alot of famous people take it before a social event or stage performance.

I have low blood pressure anyway; so it was not for me. Glad I gave it a try.

Kim

Old 08-17-08, 09:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

I take a small dose of atenolol daily for BP. It slows down my pulse and does help reduce some anxiety. But not enough, so I am on SSRI+wellbutrin too. I was on this combo for about 6 months before being diagnosed with ADHD.

Since atenolol doesn't impact the brain, I use propanolol as needed when I present at a seminar or anticipate stage fright. It REALLY helps blushing, sweaty and shaking hands.

I have recently been prescribed Ritalin, am currently experimenting with dosages of meds to get to a combination that works with ADHD/OCD/ANXIETY. I'm close.

The WORST problem for me with the beta-blockers is that they block stress reactions a bit too well. For example, when I suddenly run up a flight of stairs or to catch a bus, I can get winded and even sore legs. The heart simply doesn't speed up.

When I started atenolol I was very groggy at the given dose, so I cut the tablet in half.

I find the propanolol is much more effective taken as needed for anxiety.

As a fringe benefit, since I started taking beta-blockers, I've stopped having very many headaches.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.