ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 10-12-07, 10:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about
Question Adderall and beta blockers?

I was reading in driven to distraciton that beta blockers are sometimes used to in conjunciton with stimulants. Has anyone tried this? I am currently on 60mg of Adderall a day and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I am ALMOST there. All medications I have tried have had the same effect. I plan to ask my pdoc about it next week. But, I was wondering if anyone here has used the combo of Adderall and Inderal or Corgard or a similiar beta blocker.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 10-13-07, 01:31 PM

StarLilly123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and beta blockers?

Hi msam76,

I have been taking 25mg of the beta blocker Atenolol the past few years for borderline high blood pressure. I recently (finally!) went for help with severe ADHD symptoms and was DX'd a few months ago. I am currently taking 40XR in a.m. and 40XR in mid- afternoon. I am 5'10" tall and my weight....Well, let's just say that I'm not 4'11" with a weight of 85 pounds!!

For me, the beta blocker keeps my BP in a normal range, something I must watch more carefully since starting on Adderall XR at 80mg/day. My pdoc has me monitor my BP and I let him know every 3-4 weeks how I'm doing. I'm unsure why the combo may be Rx'd for other folks, though. Perhaps others can add their insite to this topic.

It's good to be a member of my fav Forum now

Star
Old 10-13-07, 01:35 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

I think Tenex is a beta blocker but I don't know, I do know it is a blood pressure drug of some sort and it has value for ADHD.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-07, 03:54 PM

creads is on a distinguished road

What's a beta blocker and how would it help or hinder AD/HD?
Old 10-13-07, 04:16 PM

Fuu! is on a distinguished road

I use beta blockers to help with the physical anxiety effects I get with stimulants.
Old 10-13-07, 05:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuu!
I use beta blockers to help with the physical anxiety effects I get with stimulants.
Ah-ha! That was what I was looking for! I re-read the area in the book and that was what it said. Stimulants can make you jittery at times so that is why it is prescribed.

Thanks for the replys everyone. My blood pressure is perfect right now and I am on 60mg of Adderall a day (20mg TID).

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 10-25-07, 01:48 AM

spfunc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msam76
Ah-ha! That was what I was looking for! I re-read the area in the book and that was what it said. Stimulants can make you jittery at times so that is why it is prescribed.

Thanks for the replys everyone. My blood pressure is perfect right now and I am on 60mg of Adderall a day (20mg TID).
I do the same, but as beta blockers affect the heart (I had a prescription for Propanolol to help with anxiety, at the time it was my old medication), I'm weary of taking them in conjunction with an amphetamine, which would also affect heart rates.

Instead, I take adderall with a benzodiazapan (specifically Xanax). Benzo's are intended to help reduce anxiety, and while they still affect the heart, I feel much more comfortable taking them than I do betablockers (Which I found made me too tired to function, many times.)
Old 10-28-07, 02:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

Iamscattered is on a distinguished road

Atenolol makes taking Adderall (30 mg/day) tolerable for me. I was tired for the first two days I took it, but no side-effects noticed after that. I am going to be trying Dex next week to see if I can reduce my stimulant side-effects, and if the experiment is successful perhaps I will no longer need Atenolol.
Old 12-21-09, 12:04 PM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road

I recently started taking Adderall XR 20 mg. every morning in addition to 50 mg. of Atenolol. I used to be on 70 mg. of Vyvanse almost 7 months ago but was taken off of it immediately once they saw that my BP was 144/100! I was very angry when they took my Vyvanse away because it helped me get EVERYTHING done! It also eliminated my anxiety and made me feel satisfied because I felt like I finally was given the right medication.
Ever since I was 7 I've been on a slew of medication for ADHD, Bi-Polar, and at one time for Schizophrenia (that was proven wrong later on). I felt like I was a guinea pig for the 853789254 millions of doctors I saw throughout my life time. I remember taking Adderall in high school and it working out very well for me, but I soon had to stop taking it because after 18 I was no longer on my parents insurance. Well back in 09/01/08' (almost 10 years later) I went to see a doctor because of severe depression, racing thoughts, and anxiety. I told her that I did not think I was Schizo or as Bi-Polar as many of the other doctors have thought I was. I felt that I was more ADHD than anything. So she started me on 50 mg. of Vyvanse...and wow! What a difference! I was later bumped up to 70 mg. and then a few months later I moved to another County in Florida. I finally found another doctor that was willing to keep me on the Vyvanse but when I went in to pick it up one morning they checked my BP and saw the 144/100. They refused to give it to me and sent me on my way.
I was placed on Atenolol and Xanax which helped my anxiety and BP, but for those 7 or 8 months I was back to feeling worthless. Just recently I asked my doctor if I could get back on Vyvanse since my BP and anxiety was under control, at this time I was also taking 150 mg. of Wellbutrin SR....which I despised!!! She ended up giving me Adderall XR because she said that the Vyvanse was really expensive. Which was stupid because I remember paying around $160 for a 30 day supply of Vyvanse and the Adderall XR in generic form came out to be $153!!! But oh well, I'll take what I can get. I can honestly say that I feel that Vyvanse worked better for me, but my Pharmacist did tell me that Adderall didn't have as much of a risk in raising my BP as Vyvanse did.
The combination of the Atenolol and Adderall seem to do okay with me and my BP is on the borderline of normal and high. I take the Xanax when I start feeling the Adderall wear off because that is when I seem to get really jittery. They have me taking 2 .5 mg. Xanax 3 times a day, but I just take 3 at night, I'd rather not feel completely over-medicated! As for the Wellbutrin...I took myself off of that right away, it just seemed to make me feel like I was not all there and it also kept me up every night till 5 am! I just could not see me taking Wellbutrin and Adderall together. It may work for some, but then again...we are all different. I hope that I'll be able to get my Adderall dose upped because 20 mg. just isn't enough. They say that Adderall XR lasts all day, but I find that when I take it between 7 and 9 am it's done and over with by around 3 or 4 pm.
I know that my post probably explained a little more than intended, but I'm still trying to get a grip on all these racing thoughts and organize my brain a little more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhoveybyrd For This Useful Post:
aarondev (09-24-10), befitnessnow (04-03-11)
Old 04-20-11, 01:35 PM

Wtivey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creads View Post
What's a beta blocker and how would it help or hinder AD/HD?
A beta blocker is a medication that is used to lower heart rate and blood pressure. Stimulants often have the negative side effect of increased heart rate and high blood pressure. Also, just FYI, any medication that ends in "olol" is a beta blocker. The reason someone on long term stimulant medication therapy might want to be on a beta blocker is to keep their BP and HR with in normal limits. Chronic Hypertension can cause many things like kidney and heart failure and even peripheral vascular disease (chronic hypertension damages blood vessels leading to atherosclerosis). Having a high heart rate for a long period of time (I'm talking over many years here) can cause your heart to become enlarged. An enlarged heart requires more oxygen and, eventually, your heart cannot keep up with its own oxygen demand and that can lead to a Heart Attack.
However, Beta Blockers have their negative side effects as well. They often leave people feeling lethargic and weak/very tired because basically they block your sympathetic nervous system. This presents a big compliance issue because who wants to feel that way? I'm not sure if you'd feel that way if you're also taking a stimulant medication; and not all people taking BBs feel that way to begin with.
Talk with your doctor if you feel your stimulant medication is causing your heart to race or you feel your BP is too high; they will probably switch your medication or use a BB.
Old 04-20-11, 01:39 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Naussicaa has a spectacular aura aboutNaussicaa has a spectacular aura about

You're a bit late to the party chief, this topic was made 4 years ago.
I use propranolol occasionally, doesn't seem to help anyways.
Old 04-20-11, 07:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

miinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the roughmiinx is a jewel in the rough

i take toprol xl in conjunction with adderall - my adderall dosage needs to be higher when im on it because it makes me a bit drowsy and inattentive. it helps tremendously with racing heart and anxiety.

the thing about beta blockers though is that if you decide to take them, you absolutely need to take them regularly everyday. you cannot skip days or be spotty with taking them - it not only will make them completely ineffective, but can also send your heart and blood pressure into a tailspin and be extremely dangerous. if you decide to stop, you absolutely must taper off gradually.. never cold turkey.
Old 04-25-11, 12:08 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

BBC3 is on a distinguished road

You bring up an interesting subject. I believe beta blockers are a primary emergency method to shut down the physical effects of too much amphetamines. AKA ER.

Still, I have also had a physician, and pretty intelligent one prescribe me both at once (metaprolol/topo). The point is he indicated that the amphetamines would still affect my brain same as before, but the added BB would reduce physical cardiac hypertension. I just don't know here. BB = Lethargy = slowed all over... Amphetamines are reverse. It just seems like the solution was to lower the adderall dose. However, there may be some curve of returns with less physical indications, I just did not go the protocol too long because overall it hindered the effect of the amphetamines too much.... Pehaps half (alpha) of the stimulation was still there at the brain. If there is alpha with ampheds. just have not researched enough and counterproductive to do both. I do want to emphasize that if one was to embarq down that path they should thoroughly examine drug metabolism elimination pathways, half-lives, and interractions with others. But my guess is a withdrawal of even Vyanase simultaneously would run the amphetamines out first. But you should know your conditions especially long term application of this protocal. I am not a physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skully View Post
I was reading in driven to distraciton that beta blockers are sometimes used to in conjunciton with stimulants. Has anyone tried this? I am currently on 60mg of Adderall a day and it just doesn't seem to be enough. I am ALMOST there. All medications I have tried have had the same effect. I plan to ask my pdoc about it next week. But, I was wondering if anyone here has used the combo of Adderall and Inderal or Corgard or a similiar beta blocker.
Old 05-21-12, 11:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

ceebee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC3 View Post
You bring up an interesting subject. I believe beta blockers are a primary emergency method to shut down the physical effects of too much amphetamines. AKA ER.
No, no, no. This is totally false. Beta blockers are absolutely NEVER EVER used in the case of amphetamine overdose, as the combination has the tendency to cause a hypertensive crisis. In medicine, the phenomenon is called "unopposed alpha stimulation."

Quote:
Beta blockers must not be used in the treatment of cocaine, amphetamine, or other alpha-adrenergic stimulant overdose. The blockade of only beta receptors increases hypertension, reduces coronary blood flow, left ventricular function, and cardiac output and tissue perfusion by means of leaving the alpha-adrenergic system stimulation unopposed.[27] The appropriate antihypertensive drugs to administer during hypertensive crisis resulting from stimulant abuse are vasodilators such as nitroglycerin, diuretics such as furosemide and alpha blockers such as phentolamine.[28]