ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar > AD/HD and Bipolar in Adults
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-07, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Question Are most bipolar people reckless drivers?

Ok I have not drivin since I was 25 ..which, god, was 6 years ago. I had at least a 1 week and 1/2 of the taste of freedom...but I took that freedom for granted. I drove 80 MPH over a busy highrise, making turns @ 50 MPH, made silly/ damn near fatal mistakes like not noticing red light, driving not in line of the other cars but on the turn sign on the road and backed but and almost hit a car...then it happened..I didn't see the car coming on the right side and paniced when he honked horn at me and sped away too fast not able to make complete turn and ran car into my friends parents tree( got 5 stiches and a whole lot of bruises) ...I didnt drive car for a while after mom got a used car, 86 economy car, which made me feel worse, but I did take it for a spin across town to visit my b/f and the moron told me to park car by the trash can, unbenounced to me there was a fire hydrant behind it...when I left his house at 4 in the am the car was gone!!! Got towed away.....that was the very last time i ever driven.

Believe me this is taking a lot of cazones to write this thread...the mistakes I made before and realizing for each carelessness, I am lucky to be alive, it's humiliating to even share this but heh I gotta know..please someone tell me I am not the only reckless person when getting behind the wheel.

I am sure it's the combo of bipolar and my adhd and the lack of experience on my part...(crap i wanna cry now)...people tell me I need to just get back on the horse....truth is..even if I could, I'm terrified.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 10-15-07, 02:34 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: Are most bipolar people reckless drivers?

I drive like a bat out of hell, especially when I get manic, it goes with my flavor of hyperactive ADHD as well. I have terrible road rage and I am one that slams on my brakes when people tailgate me.
Old 10-15-07, 03:18 PM

Yeah aint it annoying when people r on ur tail lol....hope you were never in an accident like it was..

I'm feeling really depressed now, when I think of all the stunts I pulled since dad died ...it's miraculous I am still alive...the person I was then...I hate her.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-07, 04:02 PM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough

I only do it when I am ticked off. Otherwise I am actually pretty normal, I am overly cautious because I was in a wreck back in 1990 that scared the crap out of me. I am a habitual worry wart so I am waiting to get smashed by the first Semi I screw up in front of...so no. That doesn't apply to me. Actually the only time I was really reckless at all was when I drank....which wasn't much ...and I don't at all anymore...

Draga...forgive me if you posted this somewhere since you have been back...
Are you on meds?

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 10-15-07, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhope
Draga...forgive me if you posted this somewhere since you have been back...
Are you on meds?
oh yeah, Lamictal, zoloft and vyvance...they work very well for me, course i can still get a lil manic sometimes..and when I get into these moods lol...the meds can only do so much

Old 10-15-07, 04:39 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

She's part of team Lamictal, another cycling team thing most of us have in common, justhope, CF, me we love the Lamictal.
Old 10-15-07, 04:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

goughy has disabled reputation

My father is severely bipolar and was a great driver, when he could still drive!
Old 10-15-07, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspen1018
She's part of team Lamictal, another cycling team thing most of us have in common, justhope, CF, me we love the Lamictal.
OH yeah...lamictal is usually my happy pill Well the other two as well...but Lamictal was 1st bipolar meds that worked

Old 10-15-07, 06:18 PM

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of

A friend of mine is bipolar and a car typically lasts her about 6 months before she wrecks it. I had a long talk with her recently about it to the tone of "don't you think there is something wrong here?" It seems to have had an effect, I hope it sticks.

Mom was bipolar and she was awfully hard on a car as she drove it as though it were a sherman tank. She was a safe driver though.

ME
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 10-15-07, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo
A friend of mine is bipolar and a car typically lasts her about 6 months before she wrecks it. I had a long talk with her recently about it to the tone of "don't you think there is something wrong here?" It seems to have had an effect, I hope it sticks.
ME
Best of luck 2 her on that

Old 10-16-07, 12:04 AM

justhope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the roughjusthope is a jewel in the rough

Well Draga, if you were ummedicated before or the meds weren't working well, then perhaps it's time to try again. How about starting out on a day you feel okay, on a long straight , boring country road with a bossy worry wart friend?

I would gladly come, but I don't think you are close enough? LOL

If you know your triggers and cycles, then stay out of the car those days.
I am a fan of getting back on the horse...baby steps if needed.

Mother Is The Name for God in the Lips & Hearts of Little Children
Old 10-16-07, 05:25 PM

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

I am a VERY bad driver. I am ADHD and Bipolar II. I think the ADHD has a lot to do with the driving part. If I am on the manic side, I throw caution to the wind and really get going. I am horrible, it's a wonder I still have my license!

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.
Old 10-16-07, 05:38 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

This question is a bit tricksy, sweety. You might want to ask how many people who have ONLY BP are reckless drivers to get a clearer reply.

Considering current research shows that most (and it may be all) people who have BP also have AD/HD, your data may be a bit colored by AD/HD related symptoms.

That being said, I am NOT a reckless driver. Far from it. Off AD/HD meds driving is a horrow show of inattention, and I drive like a geriatric, on the verge of an anxiety attack. On the dex I am less anxious but I still drive quite cautiously. That my be due to my terrible vision and the fact that I wear trifocals and need to move my head just-so to see properly when driving. Call me that person you really don't want to get stuck driving behind for too long ...heh.

I cannot really recall allowing hypomania to make me reckless behind the wheel. I get hyperfocused at home during hypomania, more often than not.
Old 10-18-07, 01:41 PM
Jr Member

Mister Crash is on a distinguished road

I've earned my self the nickname "mister crash" by all my friends and loved ones because of all the major accidents I've been involved in over the years. I too drive like a maniac nearly every day for no reason at all. Ironically I have a giant passion for sport bikes and this gets me into trouble all the time. I used to enjoy a good high speed pursuit by the local law enforcement occaisionaly to get the dopamine flowing. Dont worry Draga you're far from alone. Hello to everyone by the way and nice to meet you. I've been reading threads for about a month now as a guest but I just HAD to post on this topic.
Old 10-18-07, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Crash
I've earned my self the nickname "mister crash" by all my friends and loved ones because of all the major accidents I've been involved in over the years. I too drive like a maniac nearly every day for no reason at all. Ironically I have a giant passion for sport bikes and this gets me into trouble all the time. I used to enjoy a good high speed pursuit by the local law enforcement occaisionaly to get the dopamine flowing. Dont worry Draga you're far from alone. Hello to everyone by the way and nice to meet you. I've been reading threads for about a month now as a guest but I just HAD to post on this topic.
Some ppl call me Georgette of the Jungle...(watch out for that tree...get it )

Btw....welcome to the Forums....so glad my thread prompted a membership LOL! xoxoxoxo dawlin