ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-15-07, 08:33 PM

Brigette0615 is on a distinguished road
How to get off Adderall?

I need help to get off Adderall and I want to do it without having too much rebound. I've been on Adderall XR since last year (October 2006). I started at 10mg/day and now take 40mg/day. Since I only have 20mg capsule I have to cut down the dose by 10 mg.

Can anyone recommand something to ease the pain while trying to lower my dose of Adderall? It seems like I've tried all the vitamins and supplements but doesn't work, well maybe it does but can't notice it. Why chemicals (pills) seems to worked right away and you feel great but eventually feel awful? As to naturals (vitamins & supplements) you don't see any good effects right away, still after a while you might notice something but not as great as the pill when you first started. Although the effects on your body are better if you go the natural way rather then chemicals which take a toll on your body.

Do I make sense? I might not seem to coherent in my questions. I can't understand all this chemistry stuff. I mean the medication affecting the body etc. Ahhhhh all this is driving me CRAZY! I just want to be normal without taking a pill. I think I never felt as good as the FIRST TIME taking Adderall. Why can't I be motivated about life without Adderall????

Brigette
Old 10-16-07, 09:00 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice
Re: How to get off Adderall?

The best advice I have is to ask your doctor to help you with that, he would be able to write out prescriptions to aid you in the transition. Fish Oil, L-tyrosine, magnesium and sodium bicarbonate (antacids or baking soda with water) all make the amphetamine work better
Old 10-16-07, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the advice mspen1018!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-07, 05:24 PM

Fuu! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigette0615
I just want to be normal without taking a pill. I think I never felt as good as the FIRST TIME taking Adderall. Why can't I be motivated about life without Adderall????

Brigette
Because you have add dear, it's not your fault. Someone compared having add to having high blood pressure, you wouldnt be ashamed to take meds for high blood pressure, why should you for add. Getting the right dose and med is a tough process, i'm still going through it, but the improvements it's made in my life are worth it. Also, the first time you take a med is always the best, and then your body adjusts to it. So it's a futile endevor to try and get that exact feeling back.

As for trying to control add naturally... I tried it too. I did a lot of expermination with vitamins, minerals and amino acids and I have to tell you for me they didn't compare to the stimulants. Who knows it could be differant for you though...

Have you tried to get off adderall before? I didnt take it for as long as you did, I've gone cold turkey off it a few times and I usually am just tired and crave junk food for a day or 2 and then I'm fine.
Old 10-17-07, 06:38 PM

Crazy is on a distinguished road

how bad is it to just take adderall on an as needed basis, a few times a week before an interview or class/test etc....
Old 10-17-07, 10:11 PM

vapor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy
how bad is it to just take adderall on an as needed basis, a few times a week before an interview or class/test etc....
sounds illicit to me =/ but still, your not even stating what dose your talking about..
Old 10-17-07, 10:32 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future

There's nothing necessarily wrong about taking ADD medication only as needed (provided it's under the guidance of a doctor, of course). The medication may be more effective when one takes it less frequently (I'm not even sure if it is a tolerance issue, or a neurotransmitter supply issue, as it doesn't take very much of a break to notice this increase (such as one day)).

I'm sort of not understanding what the nature of the situation is here... Is it an issue of treating additional ADD symptoms while lowering the Adderall, or is it an issue of having actual withdrawal symptoms?
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 10-17-07, 11:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the roughJR1973 is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm, I quit cold turkey for about 4 months after taking adderall xr for about a year. I went to provigil and wham, just like that quit taking the adderall after I ran out. Figured I could wing it with Provigil alone but my life quickly has fallen to pieces (constantly late for work etc...) so I'm back on meds (Vyvanse + Provigil).

You might want to look into provigil or a cleaner med with less side effects. My personal suggestion is to either try Vyvnase or Focalin XR.

Oh, BTW I had ZERO side effects/withdrawals after quitting cold turkey. Amphetamines clear rapidly from the body on a daily basis anyway so unless you were seriously abusing you should have any effects.

J
Old 10-18-07, 01:23 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,557 Times in 5,758 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been on Adderall 80mg almost forever {1997} I quit addreall by forgetting to get my triplicate. I get spacey and bla for a day maybe two but after 48 hours my hyperactive ADD returns as if I had never taken a thing.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-18-07, 07:12 PM

I want to ask my doctor to change switch me from Paxil to Wellbutrin. I heard it works well with Adderall. Maybe Wellbutrin is the answer I'm looking for dealing with my ADD?