ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 10-20-07, 08:54 AM

Mommicked is on a distinguished road
Headaches and Vyvanse?

Brief history, 43 yr old woman, diagnosed last spring when my 8 yr old son was diagnosed. I was initially prescribed Focalin xr, burned through it in no time (could only get about 5 hours out of it, then practically went narcoleptic). Then tried Concerta, loved it to begin with, truly does last longer, and then started experiencing a lot of anxiety on it. Now I'm on Vyvanse 50mg. I've been on it about a week, really like the focus I get off of it, feels natural, unlike the others that I have tried. The only problem I have is pretty severe headaches late in the day and evening.... has anyone else had this and does it subside with time? I had headaches with Concerta for the first couple of days and then it stopped.

Would appreciate any imput. I would like to try my son on Vyvanse, but I'm a little hesitant until these headaches subside. He's on Concerta 36mg has done very well but in the past couple of weeks he's losing focus by afternoon at school. It really is a balancing act, isn't it??? What works for some, doesn't work for others, it's all a little maddening!
Old 10-20-07, 09:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Headaches and Vyvanse?

The headaches may subside a little bit as you adjust to the medication.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg TID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 10-22-07, 09:24 AM

ShawnB is on a distinguished road

I was getting headaches on the Vyvance too. Honestly though I've only taken it 4 times since I got it. I upped it to 90mgs on Thursday and didn't take my meds on Friday or the weekend. I took it for the 2nd time this morning so we'll see how the headache goes. I attributed the headaches in the afternoon to not having eaten anything all day! Vyvance makes me not want to eat. Today I ate breakfast before I took the meds so we'll see if that helps. I did notice that once I ate something on Thursday, the headache went away.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-07, 12:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

KitKat has a spectacular aura aboutKitKat has a spectacular aura about

I got a slight headache my first day at 30mg, then fine the rest of the week, and again my first day at 60mg, then fine the rest of the week.

Give it a week and see if you are still getting headaches at a particular dose.
Old 10-23-07, 08:37 AM

onyxfilm is on a distinguished road

HYDRATE! Make sure you're drinking TONS of water, especially if you feel any drymouth. Headache could be partly due to the being dehydrated from the Vyvanse. Also, make sure you're eating.

I realized my headaches and stomachaches were due to my lack of eating and drinking, mostly... If I ate and drank regularly, I felt much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to onyxfilm For This Useful Post:
jjwalters (08-27-11)
Old 10-23-07, 01:47 PM

Mommicked is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the imput, I definitely have to remember to eat and drink, so that may have been part of it!

Update: I haven't had a headache in 2 days now, yeah!!!! They've gotten better with each day and last night was the first night, since starting Vyvanse, that I've actually gone to bed and slept really well, before that, I was sleeping really lightly, any little noise would make me jump.... I talked to my Doctor today and she said that the Vyvanse rep told her that patients should give the medicine 2 weeks to fully adjust to it...... I've almost made it and I would say that it definitely an improvement over the Concerta and Focalin Xr that I have tried..... hope it stays this way!
Old 08-14-08, 12:31 AM

LemurIan is on a distinguished road

Aye...

I just started vyvanse on Monday, and I've had excrutiating headaches almost every night since starting. :|
Old 08-16-08, 10:17 PM

alyfl is on a distinguished road

My first week adjusting to the meds I had an intense migrane (right in my eyes and forehead) it would not go away no matter what I took to relieve the pain... it was hardly tollerable.... but once I got used to the meds.... i don't get headaches anymore... its quite nice.
Also if you go off of them for a couple days and go back on them, (in my experience) you will get a headache for the first few days... and then you adjust
Old 08-17-08, 02:07 PM

kkslider is on a distinguished road

i got some initial headaches but they came along with jaw aches, which i attributed to tension. definitely hydrate, though. it should go away.
Old 09-25-08, 09:56 PM
Jr Member

icedcacti is on a distinguished road

I just switched to 70 mg after being on 50 for 4 or so months. I liked the 50 a lot, and only tried to switch because I have such long days of class at my college (all conversation-based and attention requiring!). Last week I started getting really bad headaches, which sort of felt like migraines except that nothing I did would help (yoga, aspirin, ibuprofen, allergy med that i can take w/ vyvanse, eating healthier, etc.). Then my jaw started to feel really stiff and painful on the 3rd day. I even went to the local spa last night to try to soak the tension away... Only to get a headache when I got home!

I've also been having more trouble focusing, and get those feelings of hopelessness I mostly had before I got diagnosed. My guess is for some of us, higher dosages can actually make a negative difference. I'm switching to my old bottle and seeing my psychiatrist soon.
Old 09-28-08, 08:04 PM

SeekingEuthymia is on a distinguished road

I'm Bipolar II (that's the mild kind), and I believe my attention/motivation problems result from my other medications.

I had a great first day on Vyvanse two days ago, feeling a little sped up but focused and productive, with a mild headache.

I awoke yesterday with a headache, and that's never a good sign. I thought maybe the Vyvanse, being an upper, was like caffeine, which is actually good for headaches. Coming off caffeine can give you headaches, actually. So I took Vyvanse again yesterday morning, and I spent the rest of the day debilitated by the headache. Went to bed with it, slept a long time and awoke with a residual headache this morning.

So today I didn't take it again, and over time the headache wore off. Not sure if I should try it again or not. I liked the effect, but I can't afford to lose a whole day, even if it's preceded by a day of productivity. I'm successfully treated for bipolar, but this is the one last piece of the puzzle I can't get right. Unproductivity threatens my career and social life, and it makes me want off the meds I truly need. In the past I've taken or experimented with Wellbutrin, Ritalin and Concerta, and headaches and muscle tension are the most common side effects for me. But that was before I was on a mood stabilizer, so I was hoping Vyvanse would work and keep on working.

Maybe I'm just venting, but I'd welcome any advice someone can give. Thanks, folks. Keep the faith.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekingEuthymia For This Useful Post:
425runner (04-06-12)
Old 03-02-11, 06:19 PM

smbrunett is on a distinguished road

I feel the exact same way. I have a case of what can only be described as ADD TO THE EXTREME. I first started taking Vyvanse August of my freshman year. I ended up having to transfer to a private school because of my math learning disability. For the rest of my freshman year I seemed to thrive on Vyvanse. I was focused, organized, extremely outgoing, and my grades had never been better....(btw, i DO remember having headahces that were frequent, but not unbearable...i mostly got them in the afternoon).Suffice to say, Vyvanse was a godsend. For the first time in my life, I was GENUNIELY focused. I am now a sophmore (obviously). For some reason, the Vyvanse had an opposite effect on me this year. I became agitated, withdrawn, (which is weird, because last year it seemed to make me super outgoing!) unorganized, and unhappy. And i started getting UNBEARABLE headaches. I stopped taking Vyvanse around December, and since then I've been on Concerta (NOT AN EFFECTIVE MEDICATION, AT LEAST NOT FOR ME) and I am currently on Focalin XR. I don't really know how to describe Focalin. Both medicines(c and f) make you feel like you're a LITTLE focused...they give you a feeling of alertness, but you aren't paying attention to the actual schoolwork. Concerta makes you caffeine happy, but you're never really able to pay attention to what's being said. With Focalin you might be alert for a couple of classes, but the rest of the day you get the concerta effect and you just stop listening. Even if you try! And you become very quiet when you're on them. It's as if I'm antisocial, but I'm actually not! I've only been on the Focalin for a couple of weeks now.It worked for me last week, can't say the same for this week though, seeing as how I'm on this website when I'm supposed to be writing a paper. I Still get headaches. I don't even KNOW what's going on in Chemistry, I lug all of my papers around in a random history book, and I've barely gotten any sleep this week. The last time I LISTENED in school was when i was on vyvanse. I hope to get back on it sooner than later. I don't think it was the medicine...I never drank a lot of water or ate when i was on it this year. However, I would recommend Vyvanse to anyone who REALLY can't concentrate, just make sure you drink ALL DAY LONG. and EAT! Carry a water bottle around with you....Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into a novel. I just want to be able to focus again. BTW:::-- FOCALIN WILL KEEP YOU UP ALL NIGHT LONG. I WAS ABLE TO GET AT LEAST 8 TO 9 HOURS OF SLEEP ON VYVANSE.
Old 08-12-11, 04:24 PM

Rhiannon Shea has disabled reputation

regarding headaches that may be due to: dehydration, jaw tightening, vasoconstriction, lack of nutrients from hunger...

Gatorade helped with my headache. I also carry around a water bottle in purse. I drink water all day long like it is my job. I don't care if i have to go to the bathroom every hour. I also eat every 3-4 hours. The good thing about Vyvanse making my mouth taste like cardboard is that I crave fresh healthy foods such as spinach, apples, salmon, etc. Eating healthy and drinking water regularly definitely helps with the headache. And be aware of your jaw, I try to always keep my jaw relaxed and stop myself when it feels like the upper and lower molars are getting too close to each other, I keep them separated like a nun in a private coed school. lol ...And when I spend a lotta time outdoors and it's hot, or do to much moving, I got my Gatorade for backup. Gatorade also helps at the end of the day for the wearing off part, just to make sure you replace electrolytes you lost in case you got dehydrated. ...In my experience, the Vitamin waters are not the same. Gotta be Gatorade. ...Oh stretches of the neck helps too and try to massage the back of your neck and head. Sometimes the headache may be from the vasoconstriction. Stetch, hold, and breathe through that stretch. ..And luckily I fall asleep fine on Vyvanse. I get 7-8 hours of sleep and that helps your body recover and rest up for another day of internal rigor. I take my vitamins and supplements before bedtime.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor. I am a college student whose curiosity is easily sparked so I tend to read a lot on any particular topic that sparks my curiosity. What I share with everyone is only based out of my own personal research and experiences.
Old 08-26-11, 04:33 PM

SobeTheLizard is on a distinguished road

for me the headaches havn't subsided... i still get them and iv been taking vyvanse 60mg for roughly a year and a half... its given me KILLER migraines every now and then, but mostly, i just get a mild - moderate headache when the medicine starts wearing down (not always though)
Old 08-27-11, 02:47 PM

jjwalters is on a distinguished road

I agree with Onyxfilm. KEEP HYDRATED! and eat every few hours. It doesn't have to be a big meal. I carry around snack bars, and eat those when I feel a headache coming on. They Vyvanse really keeps me from being hungry until it wears off in the evenings.