ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-06-04, 07:48 PM

HLMencken is on a distinguished road
New to the forum, questions about adderall

Hi. I'm a 21 year old college student who's just signed up on this forum. I've been having problems with ADD/depression my whole life and I was hoping this would be a place where I could get ahold of some answers. I've always done well on standarized tests (SATS, IQ) but I've always bombed in school becuase I can't pay attention in class and I can't get myself to ever study. Up until i tried medications, I don't think I've been able to pay attention during a class period in my life. I know that sounds silly, but its true. Its almost like I sleep through the classes.

I started trying medications a year ago, I had taken Zoloft, Paxil, Ritalin, and Strattera before trying various forms of Adderall/Wellbutrin. Zoloft made me feel a little more balanced but it did nothing to help my ADD and had awful sexual side effects. Paxil and Ritalin didn't affect me at all. Strattera made me feel incredibly happy for about 3 days while on 25 mg (after a week of extreme depression while taking it; the doc said it needed to even out). But after I moved up to 40mg, my blood pressure rose to incredibly high levels, I didn't sleep for 3 days, and I suffered from suicidal thoughts. Strattera and Paxil also had sexual side effects that were pretty severe.

After taking a few months off, I started taking amphetmeine salts 20mg. The first day I went on it was amazing. I took the pill around dinner time. After a half hour, everything slowed down and I felt so much calmer than normal. It was an incredible experience. My thinking was crystal clear and I was finally able to be both alert and relaxed. However, it only lasted 3 hours and when I tried it the next day, its effects were much weaker and to make matters worse, I felt really depressed during the comedown. I took a break and then took half the pill (10mg) a week later and nothing happened. My doctor suggested I start taking it 2 times a day. I noticed that it made me incredibly focused in class for a few days but then it stopped working and I became incredibly depressed.

After another break, I started taking 20mg again, but this time with 150mg of Wellbutrin SR twice a day. It worked for awhile and I didn't feel the same kind of depression but it only lasted a few days before losing its effects. After another break, I tried just wellbutrin and I had a panic attack during a test in which I couldn't speak and started crying uncontrollably. I was wondering if it might have had something to do with the fact that I was on L- Tyrosine as well during this period. I think both of them act on dopamine and I was wondering if there is such a thing as too much dopamine. I also experienced sexual side effects with Wellbutrin.

Taking yet another break, I decided to go the natural root and try Ginko Biloga. It helped my memory alot but it had sexual side effects just as bad as with the other drugs. However, I noticed when I took L-Tyrosine in addition to it, the side effects would go away competely. However, Ginko did nothing to help my ADD.

Finally, this week. I got Adderall XR 25mg (time release) from my doctor. I tried it yesterday and it made me feel fantastic. However, it only worked for 3-4 hours. It was different than with the amphetamine salts 20mg becuase this time, there was no "spike" feeling in how it came on. It was very balanced and fluid and it took care of my depression as well. But the depression did set in (once again) after the 3-4 hours was over.
And to make matters worse, I tried it this morning and nothing happened at all. I couldn't pay attention in class and i still got the same depression after a few hours.

My main questions are: Does this mean I need MORE or LESS a dosage of Adderall XR (25mg). So far, I think it made me feel the most focused, alert, and happy out of all the drugs I've tried. Can a person take more than 30mg of Adderall XR. What's the highest dosage anyone has heard for it? I thought i read about some girl on the forum who took 2 pills of 30mg in the morning. Is that possible?

I apologize for the length of this post. Its just that I've been struggling for so long and I'm desperate for any type of feedback becuase I can't get it from my doctor, parents, or friends. Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-04, 11:12 PM
Banned

waywardclam is on a distinguished road
Yikes!

Welcome to the forum.

I can't offer any perspective on this because I have only ever tried Wellbutrin. But I do have some "outsider" comments for you:

You speak very clearly and intelligently about your ordeals... you know exactly what is working for you and what isn't. You seem to have done your homework about the drugs in question.

It sounds to me like YOUR judgement is just as good as, if not better than, your doctor's.

But it is wise for you to check and see what a dangerous level of Adderall would be.

Best of luck finding this out...
Old 02-07-04, 04:21 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Christiana is on a distinguished road
wow! I can't really say anything either becuase I havne't tried ANYTHING until this morning (concerta, which had almost no effect, but was also a very small dose)

I've heard about meds losing their effect, but never so FAST... thats bizzare in my mind! mabye there is somthing else going on that you don't know about?? I hope someone here can help you! if not, mabye you should try to find a different doctor.

check out www.crazymeds.org
(compliments of someone else on this forum - I'm borrowing the link from another post )

even if it doesn't answer many questions, at least it might make you feel better - you're not the only one on the meds-go-round!

glad to see you here! please stay!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-04, 12:40 PM
Jr Member

dbr is on a distinguished road
Does your Dr knowabout the nonprescription supplements you are taking and how you are taking them? I believe I have read that supplements can sometimes interfere with prescription meds.

BTW--I love your writing, Mr. Mencken

Best Regards,
Old 02-07-04, 10:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Welcome to the forums...I took adderall and wellbutrin before,,but welbutrin was horrible for me..but adderall did have the same effect as you..it would not have same affect after a while ..everyone body chemistry is different..I would take breaks to to get the same effect as win I took the first time. But now that I am dexadrine I find that two pills a day work for me. Good Luck to ya hun...you have a great skill for writing . Look forward to seeing more post.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 02-08-04, 11:39 PM

HLMencken is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, thanks for responding.

waywardclam: Thanks for the confidence. Lately, I've been in need of some.

Christiana: Thanks for the great link. I was able to find an abundant amount of entries that were relevant to my plight.

dbr: I only took the Ginko and L-Tyrosine for a short amount of time. I went through a "herbal remedy" phase that eventually amounted to zilch. I'm also skeptical about the long term effects of these substances. BTW, I'm always happy to meet someone who knows who H.L. Mencken is. I've been a fan since I was 13. He was truly ahead of his time.

melanie_cartner: Wow, thanks for the compliment. My writing style is actually what I'm insecure about the most. One of out of many things, unfortunately. I've never tried Dexadrine, but I am in the midst of researching its effects. How well is it working for you? Has it helped your ADD and/or depression more so than adderall did?

All of you, thank you very much for your encouragement. It means a great deal to me. This site is the closest thing I can find to a "support group"; which is something I really need right now in my life. I look forward to using it more. Good night
Old 02-10-06, 07:47 AM

misty is on a distinguished road
L-trosine and ADD

Can L-tyrosine really help someone with innatentive ADD? My son will not take the Adderall any more. Thanks