ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-31-07, 02:45 PM
Jr Member

tweekzip is on a distinguished road
Does Adderall cause aging?

Sorry, my mom made me post this one

Are there any know effects of premature aging in doses of adderall under 40mg daily? Is it just hygine of the addicts and/or extremely high doses? Is there a chance that even small doses over a long period of time can cause premature aging? Thanks for the help/info!
Old 10-31-07, 04:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Re: Does Adderall cause aging?

Great question/s!

Addict lifestyles (as you guess, high doses) certainly cause aging. When I trained in Public Health ('harm reduction'), I learned that Addict's have huge early childhood health Risk factors (starting before they started using drugs), which contribute immensely to their early morbidity (illness) and mortality (death).

There are also adjunctive (sidebar) ways that they are stressed (aging-wise ) too. e.g. chronic homelessness, malnutrition, in/out jail (many have to steal to fund a $100+/day habit), legal problems, poverty (gonna be poor if all your money goes into your Arm), sex trade work (prostitution has a high disease and violence rate; stigma is not good for the immune system or keeping a balanced mind).

Some jurisdictions (Vancouver BC's "Lower Eastside"; one of the IV drug use capitals of the world) even start their elderly housing projects (social housing) at age '45', rather than '65'. (These people are often dead by 30, let alone 80.) :S

I suppose your question is also a biochemical one about cellular aging. e.g. free radicals and oxidation ('oxidative stress') and physiological/cardiovascular stress of using stimulants (even at low clinical doses). Can't answer that.
Old 10-31-07, 04:41 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensU_girl
Can't answer that.
lol I would have simply put that.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-07, 04:59 PM
The Guy Behind the Curtain

Thanked 1,855 Times in 552 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekzip
Sorry, my mom made me post this one

Are there any know effects of premature aging in doses of adderall under 40mg daily? Is it just hygine of the addicts and/or extremely high doses? Is there a chance that even small doses over a long period of time can cause premature aging? Thanks for the help/info!
You mention addicts/high doses, and then small doses over a long period of time.

Being addicted to any substance will likely have a detrimental affect on your health, lifestyle and wellbeing...this would include feeling or looking like you had prematurely aged.

That being said, I have found no mention anywhere of long-term usage of low doses of Adderall causing premature aging. That could be because:

1) It doesn't cause premature aging,
2) Studies on long term effects haven't been done on Adderall and premature aging,
3) Studies have been inconclusive on this matter; or
4) Someone forgot to post their medical study on the Internet

Seriously, though...you will likely see a couple of comments and questions on the Internet about this topic, but until we see a medical study published by a reputable source about this...there just isn't enough information out there to prove or disprove whether it does or doesn't.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 10-31-07, 05:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

No, I have not read anywhere that it would cause premature aging.

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.