ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-31-07, 07:18 PM

dkaiser will become famous soon enough
What are things I should do to maximize the effectiveness my adderall?

There's ups and downs it seems with adderall for me. Some days I really feel the effects, other days not so much. I'm currently taking adderall XR, and think its great.

Anyways, I'm asking about things I should do to best utilize the amount of adderall I take.

-Diet? I already know about vitamin C, but what other foods should be avoided? When is the best time to eat meals or snacks in relation to when I take my adderall. X amount of time before, X amount of time after? I take it in the morning, usually on the way to driving to class which starts at 11am, and usually don't eat anything before then because I dont have any time. I have class until 2 or 4 depending on the day, and often won't eat anything during that time. Could this be why sometimes it feels like the adderall wears off too soon? Because I don't have the energy from food or whatever?

-Lifestyle? I'm in college, and definitely like to drink (a few times a week) and smoke pot (a couple times a week). This is usually in the evenings when the adderall has worn off, and I've never had any bad experiences with the drugs "mixing". But in general, can that affect how adderall works on your body? I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, sometimes I wake up and wanna stay in bed, other time I'm up and about (correlates with the drinking obviously ).

-When should I take the adderall? Right when I wake up at 9:30, or once I'm leaving my house and heading to class?

-What kinds of things (behaviors, foods, lifestyle choices, etc) should I avoid. And also, what kind of things should I try to do? Does eating a balanced diet, exercising daily, etc affect how adderall is utilized in my body?

I'm thinking at 20mg XR a day, I'm not getting enough to last me through the day. But, before I go and up my dose (it'd taken me months to find the right drug/dose), I want to make sure that there aren't things I'm doing that could be affecting the adderall.

Thanks for any ideas, advice, opinions & experiences you may have!
Old 11-01-07, 03:46 PM

xterminal01 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are things I should do to maximize the effectiveness my adderall?

Alcohol causes vitamin B deficiency which is responsible for mental performance. Mental disorders can be directly attributable to vitamin B complex deficiency. Alcohol additionally interferes with absorption of vitamins or "amphetamine salts" aka ADDERALL as well.
Dr. Robert G. Heath, finds that there was significant brain damage (brain cell death) in three monkeys when they were exposed to "pot." I can go on and on but ill stop. So let's assume you continue the lifestyle what will adderall stimulate dead brain cells?
Basically If you want adderall to work as its suppose to drop that lifestyle.
Old 11-01-07, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

JR1973 will become famous soon enough

foods/beverages to avoid: anything acidic like soda, juice. This decreases the amount of amphetamine absorbed and speeds excretion = doesn't work as well and doesn't hang around as long as it should. This can be counteracted by taking antacids (Tums, Pepcid).

any sizable amount of food in your stomach will kill the effects of Adderall. Take it about an hour before eating or a couple hours after.

Actually, read this link and it'll give you everything you ever wanted to know about Adderall

http://www.askdrjones.com/2006/11/13...take-adderall/

J
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-07, 12:54 AM
Contributor

watts will become famous soon enough

EXCELLENT information- I will be printing this and bringing to doctors appt. just as a back up. Very straightforward and easy to understand. Thanks
Old 11-02-07, 10:37 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaiser
-Lifestyle? I'm in college, and definitely like to drink (a few times a week) and smoke pot (a couple times a week). This is usually in the evenings when the adderall has worn off, and I've never had any bad experiences with the drugs "mixing". But in general, can that affect how adderall works on your body? I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, sometimes I wake up and wanna stay in bed, other time I'm up and about (correlates with the drinking obviously ).
I went through that phase in high school. The older I got the less I drank and I completely stopped marijuana use once I hit college, not because I disagree with it but simply because If I'm going to be a pharmacist I'll one day be held to a higher standard to not do things such as that, funny now that I'm 21 I really don't drink. - Anyway back to the subject. Like what was said above Urinary/Stomach Acidifying agents increase renal excretion/decrease absorption potiential. Urinary/Stomach Basic agents decrease renal excretion/increase absorption potiential. Caffeine can make the stimulation from it more potent but at the cost of usually increaseing nasty side-effects (I avoid caffeine or I turn into a twitchfiend). For me, I find exercising seems to make the adderall less harsh on my body for some reason and helps me maintain focus/concentration even when it's worn off, might be different for others. Diet and exercise won't hurt ya, if you can stick to that lifestyle you should it's only gonna help :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylerlee17 For This Useful Post:
Pushing-on (06-09-10)
Old 11-04-07, 03:30 PM
Jr Member

frankmaraschino is on a distinguished road

you also might want to ask your doc about augmenting your XR dose with a small amount of IR-- e.g. 10 mg when you take your XR pill and 10 mg. 4 hours or so later.

XR pills actually split their dosages in half, so if you were used to taking 20 mg. IR at a time, switching to 30 mg. XR, e.g., would actually reduce your effective dosage by 5 mg per dose, since it releases 15 mg instantly and 15 mg some hours later.
The Following User Says Thank You to frankmaraschino For This Useful Post:
GimmeShelter (10-24-09)