ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-05-07, 10:15 PM

obcessd is on a distinguished road
Eating tips while on Vyvanse?

Hi, I am new and so excited to discover this forum!! I have been on ADD/ADHD medication for about 7 years and never knew a place like this existed. Yay!

I was taking Concerta 54mg for about 2 years and recently switched 2 weeks ago to Vyvanse 50mg. Like my experience on Concerta, I am finding that around noon I crash really hard and become weak, nauseous and headachy which I think is from my blood sugar crashing despite eating breakfast. I have been eating eggs and oatmeal in the mornings and snack on granola from time to time to avoid this blood sugar crash, but I still can't find away to shake this feeling. Also during lunch I have to force myself to eat which really sux because I know the only way for me to get over this is getting food in my system. Once I eat a normal lunch I'm fine but its a real obstacle to get the food down, sometimes I feel like I'm going to choke on it because I mentally I don't feel hungry. And eating lunch just seems to take forever! I would love to be at a business meeting and not be the last one struggling to clean my plate.

Does anyone else have problems with this and are there any snack foods that help keep your blood sugar more stable so you don't crash as hard? I would love to hear different diets or eating tips that people have tried to maintain a stable energy level. Although I know some people like this side effect, I'm not really digging the loss of appetite.
Old 11-05-07, 11:45 PM
Contributor

Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Eating tips while on Vyvanse?

I'm the same way. But if I have a good breakfast (eggs and toast) I'm usually good until at least 1 p.m. I wonder if your dosage is too high. I don't get the anorectic effect from Vyvanse at all.

Doctor Seuss Haiku
Old 11-06-07, 12:37 AM
Forum Guru

blueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the roughblueyeyore is a jewel in the rough

I have no advice for you, except I've never experienced that on Vyvanse and I've been taking it since the end of September. My only suggestion is if it's your blood sugar you might be able to drink a glass of orange juice...that might help you feel better. My mom is a diabetic and that's what she does when her blood sugar gets low...I'm sorry your having such a hard start on Vyvanse...

Lamictal
Wellbutrin
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-07, 03:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

netsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the roughnetsavy006 is a jewel in the rough

Best I can say is eat breakfast before taking Vyvance so you at least have one good meal in your system. Also using the lowest effective dosage can help too.

Dx: Asperger's + Schizoaffective Disorder - Bipolar Type + Panic Disorder w/o Agoraphobia
Rx: Lithium 900mg + Xanax 0.5mg QID + Celexa 10mg + Clozaril 325mg + Centrum + Fish Oil
Old 11-06-07, 05:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Tylerlee17 will become famous soon enough

Salad with Cheese on top works for me I eat like a fat man at an all you can eat buffet on Vyvanse, I eat less on adderall.
Old 11-06-07, 11:48 PM

obcessd is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone! Yea I guess I'm going to have to try and just eat a bigger breakfast. The anorectic feeling only happens at noon and then goes away. Its only been about 2 weeks so hopefully my body will adjust.
Old 11-10-07, 12:11 AM

Apollo is on a distinguished road

It happens to me too. I eat a moderate breakfast that is mostly protein, then have a Kashi bar for lunch. I get home around 3ish usually, so I wait until then to have my next real meal.
Old 11-28-07, 11:21 PM

chinesebob is on a distinguished road

I try to have small snacks through the day. A smoothie in the morning, granola bar around 10, small lunch or protein shake, small snack in the afternoon and dinner with the family. If I don't I feel it. Even if I did want to eat a lot I don't think I could because with Vyvanse I have no desire than to eat what's put in front of me. I try to stick to an eating schedule and even send myself reminders.
Old 02-13-08, 12:12 PM

heretic is on a distinguished road

I find cliff bars are easy to eat because they're fast (i get so impatient while eating, but I did before the meds too) and easy to swallow if you drink something with them. That's the big thing for me with getting things down, is i take a bite, chew it with liquid, then swallow it a little at a time, NO BIG SWALLOWS.

My new problem is that my body seems to think it is hungry when it simply cant be. it is 11am now, I had six (yes, six) hardboiled eggs and a pint of whole milk at 8:15, and a whole grain bagel around 9, yet somehow I still feel hungry. I felt full after the eggs for about 5-10 min, then I felt hungry again. I'm not a big dude or anything, 5'9" and 135-145 depending on the week (also true before the meds), and half a dozen eggs is a lot! I also had two steaks and a bowl of meatballs for dinner last night (plus salad and crap), so it's not like I've been starving before this.

Normally, off the meds, I don't even eat breakfast. And I would just go, ok, I'm hungry, time to eat, but I don't have the time to figure out 3 breakfasts every morning, and I don't enjoy eating anyway.

Is this some sort of stomach acid thing? anybody have any ideas?
Old 02-13-08, 12:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,275 Times in 974 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcessd View Post
Hi, I am new and so excited to discover this forum!! I have been on ADD/ADHD medication for about 7 years and never knew a place like this existed. Yay!

I was taking Concerta 54mg for about 2 years and recently switched 2 weeks ago to Vyvanse 50mg. Like my experience on Concerta, I am finding that around noon I crash really hard and become weak, nauseous and headachy which I think is from my blood sugar crashing despite eating breakfast. I have been eating eggs and oatmeal in the mornings and snack on granola from time to time to avoid this blood sugar crash, but I still can't find away to shake this feeling. Also during lunch I have to force myself to eat which really sux because I know the only way for me to get over this is getting food in my system. Once I eat a normal lunch I'm fine but its a real obstacle to get the food down, sometimes I feel like I'm going to choke on it because I mentally I don't feel hungry. And eating lunch just seems to take forever! I would love to be at a business meeting and not be the last one struggling to clean my plate.

Does anyone else have problems with this and are there any snack foods that help keep your blood sugar more stable so you don't crash as hard? I would love to hear different diets or eating tips that people have tried to maintain a stable energy level. Although I know some people like this side effect, I'm not really digging the loss of appetite.
Ok.... here is what we did with Beth. She took a half a pill in the morning...after breakfast. Then at lunch she'd eat,....then take the other half of her morning pill. I had to keep a bottle at home and at school, to do this.

My suggestion is talk to the doctor. See if it's possible to split the dosage. That way you're not getting the full effect first thing in the morning... you're still able to eat and then have the afternoon dose to make it through the rest of the day. Beth always came off the second dose around 5 or 6 oclock.... which didn't always help with any homework she brought home, unless she sat straight down to do it as soon as she walked in the door. It's just a suggestion... keep us posted.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 02-13-08, 01:58 PM

heretic is on a distinguished road

I didn't do well on a split dosage. I used to take 60mg in the morning and 30mg at lunch because I was having a crash in the middle of the day. It wasn't working, it just ended up extending the effects of the crash through the afternoon, so instead of 3 good hours and 2-3 hours of rebound, i had 4 good hours and 5ish of a milder rebound.

Now i just take all 90mg in the morning and I get through the day on it.
Old 02-18-08, 07:53 PM

Newtonka is on a distinguished road

I am SO glad that you mentioned this!

I have had some major issues with this whole Vyvanse and eating thing. I've been on 30mg for about a month and a half now and some days are just better than others.
I normally ate about 6 small meals a day (before the meds) I was always hungry...
Now, I completely forget about lunch and nothing is appetizing! It is humiliating! I was on a ride-along for a potential new job and we didn't eat till about 12:30 and I almost passed out or threw up! I felt so dizzy and shaky, and all I could stomach was a piece of bread w butter-
I've tried eating before too if I get a chance, but some days are just horrible either way.
It really stinks because I love the medication... but it can really be a nuisance trying to go out of your way to eat earlier and/or stomach un-appetizing food in business/social situations. I've also lost about 10 lbs in the past month and a half! Its starting to level off now though, thankfully....

Any help or suggestions would be great-
Old 10-16-11, 04:01 PM

katie1 is on a distinguished road

To Newtonka - you may need to lower your dosage. Your already on a low dose so maybe vyvanse isn't for you. I wouldn't give up just yet though. Of course, I'm not a doctor, but from experience..

I started vyvanse 3 months ago on 60 mg, after first being diagnosed with ADD. Like you, I lost 10 pounds in a month! (Now I've lost 24, and if I lose 10 more I will be at my normal weight for my height..I was overweight before)! However, as good as the weight loss may be, your overall health is most important. After a 2 months and 1 week, I couldn't stand 60 mg anymore. It slowly progressed to me being OVERLY anxious and paranoid. I didn't realize it, until it got really bad. I'm in college and was calling my mom freaking out about something 5 times a day). I am now on 50 mg and carefully monitoring my anxiety levels. I did skip 2 days off the 60 mg to ease my anxiety levels. I would NOT reccomond to anyone to miss more than 1 day. The third day when I took my first dose of the 50 mg I was really depressed. The day after that I was generally back to my normal mood. If you want to skip one day to see how your body reacts, in my experience it was ok, but I would not reccomend missing 2 days of vyvanse for anyone!

I've noticed if I don't eat a good enough breakfast, it is very hard for me to eat the rest of the day. Also, when I was on the higher dose I almost completely stopped eating, I felt so nauseated to eat anything towards the end of the 60 mg dosage.

I'm still in college, so I've really relied on this medication in order to focus and make good grades. My grades had begun to significantly decrease last year.
Overall, all aspects of my life have improved on the aspect of improving my focus. I'm not irritable as before, or as sensitive, much more organized with my room and school work, my thoughts are much slower and organzed, and I can also retain information much more. I honestly feel like the old me again and a good student like I used to be.

Looking back most of my past memories have not timeline whatsoever. Or I don't remember a lot of things unless someone told me, because before I couldn't retain things as well, so I guess many things never made it to long-term memory. That's just my opinion though!

Hope this helps you and anyone else that might read this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to katie1 For This Useful Post:
jonas616 (04-17-12), MotherADHD (10-27-11), namazu (10-16-11)
Old 10-26-11, 09:38 PM

flurri is on a distinguished road

I have the same problems, only my ability to eat fails me well into dinner time as well! Its not until late like 9pm that I get hungry. I seem to have the same solution as everyone else too, which kind of made me laugh. I eat a heavy breakfast in the morning of eggs and toast, then snack my way through the morning on cliff bars. When I am in a rush though I keep ensure or boost in fridge.
what I am looking for is a suggestion for regular meal food that goes down easy. I cant eat any more granola my colon feels like its had steel wool in it.

Last edited by BR549; 10-26-11 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: removed restricted topic