ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 11-10-07, 03:18 PM
Jr Member

MSKiles_ATX is on a distinguished road
Generic Wellbutrin XL VS Wellbutrin XL

Anyone notice any differences in the quality between these two medications? or a difference in price?

Also, has anyone noticed any differences among the GENERIC Wellbutrin brands (I.E. TEVA, Anchen, Watson)?? If TEVA doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't) - Is it worth a shot to try Anchen or Watson??

Earlier this year, I got a 3 month supply of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg tablets to be taken 3x per day for a decent price ($~150). Recently, I started a new job and have been forced to change to a different insurance company. It turns out that (within the last 6 months or so) they, like many other insurance carriers, no longer cover the full name brand medication. For those of you who have been paying for this stuff, you know it's not cheap (even with insurance).

Last week, I started taking the bupropion XL 150 mg (manufacturer: Teva) and have noticed a significant difference between the two medications. The generic brand is 10x worse than the Authentic Wellbutrin XL 150 mg tablet. My ADHD and anxiety symptoms are worse than ever before now. It is apparent that I have no other alternative, other than to go back to the Authentic Wellbutrin XL 150 mg tablets.

With insurance (my carrier is Aetna), a 3 month supply (270 pills) of Wellbutrin XL is $1000+ (or ~$350 for a month supply / 90 pills) !!!!! WTH??? ... And I thought a stereo system was expensive

I laughed at the Aetna representative when they quoted me the price for Wellbutrin XL. Come to find out ... this seems to be the price almost anywhere I go (Costco, Sams, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS) ... and I have insurance!

At this juncture, I have no other alternative other than to suck up the cost; however, I'm shocked at the price increase of this stuff. What gives?

Im definitely looking forward to Open Enrollment in January of 2008

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

*Note that I am currently taking 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL per day so as to treat my anxiety symptoms as well as my ADHD.

Matt
Old 11-10-07, 07:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

2scattered is on a distinguished road
Re: Generic Wellbutrin XL VS Wellbutrin XL

Hi there,
Can't really answer your question exactly, but I have a few ideas for you to consider. First, are you sure you're taking Wellbutrin XL? I ask because typically SR (sustained release) is taken twice a day or every 8 hours and XL (extended release) is taken once a day. If you're taking XL more than once a day you may be being penalized by your insurance company for asking for more than 30 pills at a time. Your price quotes may be so high because you aren't taking XL the way it's intended to be taken.

If you are taking XL and it's multiple dosing during the day your doc wants you to have, switching to the SR might save you some money. I think that the only difference between the two is the mechanism of release and the convenience of dosing... once a day vs. twice a day. However, for off label treatment for ADHD there may be a reason to take XL more than once a day that I am not aware of.

As far as generic vs. brand I took Wellbutrin XL (brand) and loved it. I got hives so I had to stop. At the time there was no generic XL to switch to so I had to switch to SR (watson) and I found it supremely inferior. At 400mg/day, it did nothing for me.