ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Non-ADD Partner Support
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Non-ADD Partner Support This is a support forum for non-ADD partners, spouses, and significant others offering feedback from both the ADD and non-ADD perspectives

Old 11-20-07, 12:31 PM
Jr Member

iamnotevil is on a distinguished road
Doors and Drawers

Always left open.

Cabinet doors.
Kitchen drawers.
Closet doors.
Bathroom drawers.
Medicine cabinets.
Dryer door.
Garage door.

Better than X-Ray Vision or CSI crime fighting skills, I can walk into my house after being a way for the day and tell you exactly what my wife did that day.

Lets start with the bathroom. I know she got dolled up and went somewhere. Both drawers are open because the hairbrushes are in one drawer and makeup in the other. The bottom drawer is slightly more open than the top drawer so she could put the brushes back in. The medicine cabinet is open, so I know she brushed her teeth.

The hall closet door is open, which is where we keep the backpacks. So she went out for a day trip, probably the zoo or amusement park.

Kitchen: butter and milk are left out (ok, not doors but..) and toaster oven door is open. I could conduct an archaeological dig in the sink pile, but obvious she had toast and cereal. The pantry door is still open (where the cereal lives), as well as the cabinet door for the cups, and the cabinet door for the plates and bowls. She made coffee because the little door above the refridgerator is open, that's where we keep the coffee grinder.

Likewise, if you were to tell me what she did that day, I could tell you what doors and drawers are open in the house.
Old 11-20-07, 01:00 PM
Contributor

ADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the rough
Re: Doors and Drawers

Actually it's a little known fact that open drawers are really only hidden horizontal storage spaces.

By opening these spaces, you can pile additional stuff without having to clean off the counters, dresser tops or other drawer containing pieces. For my wife, the night table drawer is a favorite. Beware of occasional landslides as items may shift.

You're not alone!!!!
Old 11-20-07, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

You mean we are really supposed close those things???...lol
Old 11-20-07, 01:22 PM
Contributor

ADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the roughADDrus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara
You mean we are really supposed close those things???...lol
Now Tara, what possible purpose could they serve if you didn't close them? It's not like life is a giant game of hide and seek, though at times it does seem like it!

If you think about it though, seems like a lot of wasted energy in opening and closing all those doors and drawers with very little gain.

I know, lets attach energy converters to the hinges, that way we can tap into a new earth friendly energy source. I'm sure with enough people uselessly opening and closing doors and drawers we can stop global warming and give all our ADD spouses a real reason for closing all those doors and drawers! Wow, win win!
Old 11-20-07, 01:24 PM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

But if we closed them, whatever would we bang our heads and knees on?

Cancel that...I am sure we would come up with something equally as painful.
Old 11-20-07, 04:32 PM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Quote:
But if we closed them, whatever would we bang our heads and knees on?
You took the words out of my mouth
Old 11-20-07, 07:09 PM

Thanked 15,274 Times in 7,216 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My ex was the same way, left everything open, drawers and doors, and usually left the toilet seat up too.

The only door I leave open is the bathroom door, I seem to have a slight case of claustrophobia.
Old 11-20-07, 07:15 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all

You guys should be thankful that your partners actually use drawers and closets...lol
Old 11-21-07, 05:50 AM

Thanked 4,219 Times in 1,768 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question.....

Did these drawer, door and laundry habits evolve after marriage or were they present in the years you lived together before you got married?

I have this theory that the marriage ceremony markes the end of a mans dreamtime before which things are seen but their significance is not.

:-)

kilt
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
dyingInside (06-09-08)
Old 11-21-07, 08:42 AM
Contributor

I'm sure, because my daughter also exhibits this behavior, that this is a learned behavior from an early age. Your significant other did this long before you came around to notice it. LOL sort of like the tree in the woods. If an ADDer leaves a door open in the kitchen and nobody's around to see it, is it really open?
Old 11-21-07, 10:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

wifeof is a glorious beacon of lightwifeof is a glorious beacon of lightwifeof is a glorious beacon of lightwifeof is a glorious beacon of lightwifeof is a glorious beacon of light

You forgot on-off buttons and switches. I have determined that somehow the act of turning something (TV, stove, lights) must somehow be far more difficult and painful than turning something on. Even if it is the same button, there must be something different about the force or pressure needed to turn it off -- something that is undetectable to the non-ADD person. Flipping a switch down must present dire complications to the rest of my family members.

We once had three TV sets -- one upstairs, on in the basement, and a small portable B&W my husband would transport to where ever he was doing something. It was a common occurrence for me to find the (unwatched) upstairs TV turned to a game, then the (unwatched) portable on to the same thing, then the (unwatched) downstairs TV also on to the same game. And my husband had gone out a while ago...

Yes, I also play the doors and drawers game at home. I grew up with it as my brother (also ADD) was not capable of closing anything, returning food to the refrigerator (very expensive will all the food spoilage after midnight snacks that involved removing all perishables from the refrigerator), or turning off a light. More than one cat has ended up shut in a drawer, cabinet, or closet once it is finally closed.

And guess who had to eat all of the stale bread, crackers, etc that my brother refused to eat after he had left them out? Not that I harbor any resentment about that or anything...
Old 11-21-07, 10:13 AM

Crazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the roughCrazy~Feet is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If an ADDer leaves a door open in the kitchen and nobody's around to see it, is it really open?
Of course not! I never touched it!
Old 11-21-07, 10:46 AM
Jr Member

iamnotevil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeof
You forgot on-off buttons and switches.
I was saving that for a whole 'nuther topic.
Old 11-21-07, 12:03 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman
Quick question.....

Did these drawer, door and laundry habits evolve after marriage or were they present in the years you lived together before you got married?

I have this theory that the marriage ceremony markes the end of a mans dreamtime before which things are seen but their significance is not.

:-)

kilt
Nope, my ex left drawers and such open in the 3 or 4 months before we got married. I just didn't know how much it would come to bother me over the years.
Old 11-21-07, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeof
You forgot on-off buttons and switches. I have determined that somehow the act of turning something (TV, stove, lights) must somehow be far more difficult and painful than turning something on. Even if it is the same button, there must be something different about the force or pressure needed to turn it off -- something that is undetectable to the non-ADD person. Flipping a switch down must present dire complications to the rest of my family members.

We once had three TV sets -- one upstairs, on in the basement, and a small portable B&W my husband would transport to where ever he was doing something. It was a common occurrence for me to find the (unwatched) upstairs TV turned to a game, then the (unwatched) portable on to the same thing, then the (unwatched) downstairs TV also on to the same game. And my husband had gone out a while ago...

Yes, I also play the doors and drawers game at home. I grew up with it as my brother (also ADD) was not capable of closing anything, returning food to the refrigerator (very expensive will all the food spoilage after midnight snacks that involved removing all perishables from the refrigerator), or turning off a light. More than one cat has ended up shut in a drawer, cabinet, or closet once it is finally closed.

And guess who had to eat all of the stale bread, crackers, etc that my brother refused to eat after he had left them out? Not that I harbor any resentment about that or anything...
My granddaughter is even worse than her grandfather was about leaving doors and drawers open, and she's terrible about not turning things off. You would think by the thousandth time she's been reminded to go back and turn off the bathroom light or gets yelled at for the thousandth time because I can't stand it when she leaves a dvd playing and it's stuck on the loop at the end with the same song playing over and over and over and over and... yikes!

edit... I just got up to shut the door to the other room where she's playing a video game and the noise of that is competing with the noise of the tv the little one is watching in here.