ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-04-07, 01:10 AM
Jr Member

suly25 is on a distinguished road
Generic Adderall or Regular Brand Adderall does one work better?

So from reading the other threads I'm learning Barr is not so good. I thought it just was not working as strong so I inc. my dose. Reading through other threads I see many do not like Barr their is a difference. So what other choices do I have? Just go back to regular Adderall or XR?
Old 12-04-07, 01:30 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Teedrum will become famous soon enough
Re: Generic Adderall or Regular Brand Adderall does one work better?

from what i've read there are other options, there just harder to get. But theres another post that said that Target is good about helping to get other generic brands

Flap, Flap, Flapping my albatross wings..." - Tom Green, Clone High
Old 12-05-07, 06:28 AM

Silicone has a spectacular aura aboutSilicone has a spectacular aura about

Keep in mind there are people who have no problem at all with Barr meds. You're just not hearing anything from them because, well, because they're happy with their meds. Count me as one of those. I switched to generic Adderall IR (Barr) because I have no insurance. I did *much* better on the generic.

My doc says that some of his patients need a "break in" period and end up with higher doses than they started with on either the brand name or the generic Adderall. It takes 6 months to a year for some to find the right med and the right dosage. Everyone metabolizes meds differently.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-07, 06:51 AM
Contributor

???? is on a distinguished road

Most places don't sell brand name IR anymore. I think its impossible for anyone who's tried both to be sure about the difference though, because they're obviously starting on one first and your brain takes a while to adjust to the medicine or something.
EDIT: I meant to right brand name.
Old 12-05-07, 01:37 PM

That's true, hardly anyone sells the Shire Adderall IR anymore. But if you really want it, you can just ask the pharmacy order it. It usually takes a couple of weeks, so plan ahead!
Old 12-05-07, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

amnorvend is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... my psychiatrist said that there weren't any generics for Adderall. How much cheaper are the generics?
Old 12-05-07, 02:19 PM
Contributor

???? is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnorvend
Hmmm... my psychiatrist said that there weren't any generics for Adderall. How much cheaper are the generics?
There are none for XR.
Old 12-05-07, 02:43 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

I can't find anything but Barr here and I'm disappointed with the quality of the pills themselves. They are badly pressed, crumble easily, and I have an awful time getting them to split evenly (thus affecting my abulity to dose accurately).
I personally believe that they break down too quickly in my system resulting in an early spike and wearing off in no more than 2hrs rather than the 4 they claim.

This is just my personal opinion. Other people have no problems with them. Also, I only have experience with the 10mg pills, not any other strengths. I've heard better things about the 20mg pills but have no first hand experience there.

I'm dissatisfied enough that I'm seeing my doc today about a switch to see if there is any improvement. I'm hoping they do a better job with their 5mg dexedrine pills than their 10mg Adderall.
Old 12-05-07, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriellyn
I can't find anything but Barr here and I'm disappointed with the quality of the pills themselves. They are badly pressed, crumble easily, and I have an awful time getting them to split evenly (thus affecting my abulity to dose accurately).
Wow, the generic Adderall IR that I get are Barr and I've never had those problems. I wouldn't be too happy if I got a bottle of pills like that.

I wonder if the pharmacy you're using got a badly manufactured batch? If it was me, I'd take them back to the pharmacist, complain to the manager about the quality, and ask them if they can guarantee the quality of the obviously defective pills they gave you. Sounds like they need to return them to Barr and get a different bulk lot.

FYI, a majority of pills come to the pharmacy in packages of 100 which the pharmacists open and dispense. The pharmacy I go to says they order a case at a time and all the packages in the case have the same lot number and expiration date. So it would stand to reason that the entire case of pills has the same problem as yours since they were manufactured in the same lot. I wonder how many people are getting the same bad batch as you? If I were the pharmacy manager, I'd want to know the product was defective.
Old 12-05-07, 08:58 PM
Forum Guru

Hmm... interesting thought. I've been getting the same quality pills for over a year no though. *shrug*
I dunno... but we shall see if I have any better luck with the 5mg Barr dex I picked up today. Had to go to a different pharmacy because my regular one couldn't get any before next Wednesday. :P
Old 12-06-07, 12:40 AM
Jr Member

suly25 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting guys I was so happy when I began taking Adderall I was like, "hell yes! I'm gonna pass my college classes and finish strong." Well 10 wasnt enough so went up to 20 that I just started past week and I don't know if its working. Also, by reading peoples feedback on how bad Adderall is it REALLY bumbed me out. I pay a cheap price but I know if I had something like AddXR it would help me magnificently! Couple years ago when I was on my parents insurance could afford Adderalltabs Brand they worked awesome. I noticed with this generic somethings different. I can get adderall brand but I dnt wanna pay 60 bucks. I wanna switch to Adderallxr but that is about 65 dollars. My Adderalltabs only 10 dollars so Im bummed I gotta stick with this. Theirs no generic for xr then what the hell is this 5mg, 10mg Dex? So confusing but Im trying to learn more from ya'lls experience cuz maybe Ill find a generic similar to XR.
Old 12-06-07, 01:28 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Teedrum will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicone
That's true, hardly anyone sells the Shire Adderall IR anymore. But if you really want it, you can just ask the pharmacy order it. It usually takes a couple of weeks, so plan ahead!
i heard that shire sold the IR formula to barr for 36 mil to 2009. so i don't think shire is even making adderall IR anymore

Flap, Flap, Flapping my albatross wings..." - Tom Green, Clone High
Old 12-06-07, 08:05 AM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teedrum
i heard that shire sold the IR formula to barr for 36 mil to 2009. so i don't think shire is even making adderall IR anymore
Indeed they did. I've been checking every pharmacy in town looking for a different brand and was told that even the "name-brand" Adderall is manufactured by Barr now. WTH?

One thing that might be better though... they're manufacturing the "name-brand" now so I'd think they would not have the same +/- 20% margin for active ingredients like they do with the "generic" they manufacture. So theoretically the "name-brand" Barr Adderall should be more consistent and more like the Shire brand was than the generic Barr.
I was terribly disappointed to find out that Barr's name-brand Adderall is not coated like the Shire ones were. I was hoping this might make a little difference for me. *shrug* Ah well, if I don't do well on the dex I'll just give Adderall XR a shot instead of trying for name-brand IR.

IMO, if you can possibly afford it, it's better to pay more for the XR or whatever that actually works for you than using a generic you don't like just because it's cheap. But only you can decide if the trade off is worth it.

Quote:
Theirs no generic for xr then what the hell is this 5mg, 10mg Dex?
Dexedrine is not exactly the same as Adderall. It is one of the four amphetamine salts that make up Adderall. It is available in IR tabs and "spansules" which use more of an extended release method but it's an older method so it's not quite the same as the delivery method Adderall XR uses.
If you're not happy with generic Adderall and really need to stick to a generic, you might want to try dex. That's what I'm doing. It can't hurt and if you don't like it you can always go back to Adderall or try something else like Vyvanse (which I have no personal experience with so I can't say much about it).
If none of that works or you don't want to try them, you might consider Ritalin. Personally I'm not a big fan of methylphenidate but it might work for you. You never know until you try.
Old 12-06-07, 02:58 PM

Addywhack is on a distinguished road

Recently switched from xr to ir and the first month I got the Ranbaxy generic 20mg and it was as if I had taken a water pill. NO effect at all. 3 days ago i got my new script and got the barr 20mg and its like night and day. I just dont get it. Some say barr sucks and some say its great. I can honestly say that if its supposed to be the same ingredients in both generics then how in the world could I go through all 60 pills and never have a bit of relief but the first 3 days of barr and I am completely satisfied. Something has got to be different. IF its an inactive ingredient or a filler then it needs to be changed. I know the FDA checks out generics before they are released to the public but do they go back in and do random check ups to see if a manufacturer is cutting corners.
Old 12-06-07, 08:04 PM
Forum Guru

Yeah that +/- 20% leeway given to generic manufacturers definitely end up making some a bit different. They also use different fillers and such that some people may respond differently to.

It seems that most people who don't like Barr generic Adderall mainly had experience with the 10mg pills. I've heard better things about the 20s. I was considering trying those but sometimes I only took 5mg at a timeand cutting the pills into even quarters would undoubtably be a big pain in the you-know-what. :P

I'm glad the ones you have now work for you.