ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-11, 09:25 AM
Jr Member

champ886 is on a distinguished road
How I cured my ADD

Hello all. I would like to start telling my story. To give some background, I had ADD all through childhood and into adulthood. Could never focus in class, was always the slowest worker, always an underachiever. It started to really really affect my school performance in high school where teachers were less supportive. I was called lazy, etc.

To go into a little more detail, when I was 9 years old, I was tested for food allergies that relate to behavior. I was found to be allergic to every food they tested me for, so I began a rotation diet, where one day would be the day for milk, wheat, and tomatoes, for example, another for rice, apples, cane sugar, and mangos...basically, every food had a day on this four day rotation. The days were configured so that I could have some of my favorite foods sometimes, like pizza. Switching to this diet from the ages of 9 until 10 also gave me much better variety in my diet, which I was lacking. I ended up eating less processed foods, more fruits and vegetables.

The result: teachers couldn't believe the changes they saw in me, even ones that were not privy to my treatment.

However, with adolescence came the problems again, as I was no longer able to stick to these dietary restrictions. Lack of maturity, wanting to fit in a be like everyone else, not wanting to have a home made lunch every day in front of piers, going out with friends...it was just too hard.

I fell into the depths of serious ADD once again. My mom, evidenced by her putting me on the rotation diet, was very reluctant to give me drugs. However, by the time I was in high school and I started to affect my college prospects, we decided to go the adderall route at the end of 10th grade.

My grades soared! I was a constant honor roll student. Teachers joked that I had a brains transplant. I was accepted into top universities who were impressed with my turnaround. Everything was good.

Except the sideaffects of adderall. The highs, the lows. The lack of appetite. The lack of good sleep. I also began to read about how it can cause dimentia later in life, possibly, as it is the cousin on cocaine. The long term effects are not known.

At the same time I was gaining the maturity to make my own choices.

Mainly because of ADD but also because of other issues deemed "normal", I decided to make a huge change and become a raw foodist (and vegan).

Everything dissappeared over night once I began to eat HIGH quantities of raw fruits and vegetables and no processed foods. Everything. Skin. Asthma. Athletic ability.

No more adderall side effects, no more feeling like I had ADD on stretches that I didn't take medicine. I worked as a normally functioning architect, medicine free, not even coffee.

Sure it's a huge step, but it was so worth it. Things that I didn't even plan to heal have healed, most important ADD. I recommend anyone to look into their diet. ADD is just something that I don't have to think about anymore.

And for anyone who may thing this is just me growing out of it...while staying with people I didnt know several months ago and eating what they ate (lots of bread, pasta and even small amount of cheese...and much less fresh fruits and veggies than the massive amount I eat daily). It ALL came back. In terms of the ADD, I felt like I was in high school, pre adderall. It was ridiculous.

So keep an open mind towards food as the cause of your attention deficit disorder. I can never go back. I'll post a link of a recent radio show where I tell my ADD raw vegan story if you guys are interested.

(Sorry for any typos I am on a foreign keyboard)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to champ886 For This Useful Post:
ChrisR (03-21-14), fallegend (08-30-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), TheJaredwhat (09-14-11)
Old 08-29-11, 09:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,875 Times in 11,051 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How I cured my ADD

People can have food allergies that look like ADHD but aren't actually. I'm
glad changing your diet helped you because of your food allergies, but
diet changes do not help with actual ADHD, research has shown this
many times. There is no "cure" for ADHD at this time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
AshT (09-11-11), bedtime (06-26-14), caughtredheaded (02-13-14), Dizfriz (08-29-11), DrZoidberg (09-16-11), dsvlil1 (08-29-11), eggyolkes (09-05-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Fortune (08-30-11), ginniebean (08-30-11), holmracing (08-29-11), Impetus (08-29-11), johnny_walker (08-29-11), kipong (11-01-11), Komod0Dragon (09-07-11), mctavish23 (08-29-11), meadd823 (08-29-11), pechemignonne (08-31-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), tudorose (11-01-11), whatsthebuzz (09-07-11)
Old 08-29-11, 10:17 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I disagree. When I became a raw foodist I no longer treated the food allergies. I eat alllll the things I was "allergic" too, a LOT of them. Only the rotation diet confronted food allergies.

Even now I have the physical symptoms of food allergies when i eat q lot of things.

But the ADD is gone. I'm not alone in having this happen.

It's been an amazing last 3 years and I just want to share it with everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to champ886 For This Useful Post:
ChrisR (03-21-14), fallegend (08-30-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-11, 10:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,282 Times in 13,269 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

There is no cure for adhd and no science to back up that dietary changes can eliminate symptoms unless you have an established allergy to certain foods. You also don't grow out of it.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
adhdme (08-29-11), ByStarlight (11-04-11), Dizfriz (08-29-11), dsvlil1 (08-29-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Fortune (08-30-11), holmracing (08-29-11), Komod0Dragon (09-07-11), LittleFrog (10-10-13), mctavish23 (08-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), tudorose (11-01-11)
Old 08-29-11, 11:40 AM
Jr Member

I regret even mentioning the food allergy part when I was 9 years old

Nowadays I eat ALL the things I am "allergic" too and even have physical reactions. All of it. As much as I want. The ONLY thing I do differently is no processed foods qnd no animal products - and the most important part is probably no processed foods.

People will write me off saying I didnt have ADD despite multiple diagnosis, despite my symptoms. That's fine. But somewhere, someone will actually try eating a different way if they are desperate enough, and they will be pleasantly surprised. I learned a long time ago that you have to take all of this research with a grain of salt.

I hope I can help someone, that's my only goal. This is a condition that destroys lives. It's easily worth changing your diet.

And again, my diet doesn't address allergies at all.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to champ886 For This Useful Post:
ChrisR (03-21-14), fallegend (08-30-11), music321 (04-19-12), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 08-29-11, 12:31 PM

Thanked 10,056 Times in 3,166 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

First of all, Welcome to the FORUM.

I think it's great that you're better,for whatever reasons.

I also believe you're honestly sharing your "success" story,

which is relevant to you and your life experiences.

However, and I say this respectfully with no malice intended,

the peer reviewed research on this very subject, going all the

way back to the 1970's, does NOT support the statistical sig-

-nificance of dietary changes as a "clinical treatment"/evidence

based (research supported) intervention for ADHD.

At the same time, I respect and appreciate your anecdotal feedback,

and again Welcome you here.

Someone you may enjoy reading is John F Taylor,PhD.

He's in Oregon and is a big proponent of this.

I also believe him to be an ethical practitioner.

The problem,just like with all the Feingold data,is that

no one outside Feingold's students,which includes Dr Taylor,

has been able to replicate those same results.

From a research standpoint, that is the "gold standard"

of longitudinal validity & reliability.

The same holds true for Daniel Amen's work as well.

Thank you again.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
acidrica (08-30-11), alan1 (08-30-11), anonymouslyadd (08-29-11), BR549 (08-29-11), buddy (09-11-11), ChrisR (03-21-14), Dizfriz (08-29-11), dsvlil1 (08-29-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Fortune (08-30-11), ginniebean (08-30-11), holmracing (08-29-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), meadd823 (08-29-11), namazu (10-10-13), pooka (08-30-11), salleh (08-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), tudorose (11-01-11), unixdr1 (10-23-13)
Old 08-29-11, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,612 Times in 790 Posts
Nifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud ofNifferka has much to be proud of

I agree with the others that say that if dietary changes cleared up your symptoms, then it probably wasn't ADHD to begin with.

Raw food diets are great! I have gone on them several times for digestive problems (and lack-of-electricity problems...) and I feel much better for it--as far as my digestive problems go. It does absolutely nothing for my ADHD symptoms. Sorry.

After nearly 10 years in the former USSR, the UK seems like a foreign country. I don't know who I'm meant to be or what I'm meant to do. So, at least some things haven't changed...
Ninja posts!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nifferka For This Useful Post:
BR549 (08-29-11), buddy (09-11-11), Dizfriz (08-29-11), dsvlil1 (08-29-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Fortune (08-30-11), holmracing (08-29-11), mctavish23 (08-29-11), sarahsweets (08-29-11), tudorose (11-01-11)
Old 08-29-11, 02:17 PM
Contributor

KCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud ofKCTang has much to be proud of

Hi, Welcome to the forums.

Most cases of ADHD are a result of an impaired Prefrontal Cortex (too many dopamine reuptake receptors) or damage to the Prefrontal Cortex (accidentally, or during pregnancy).

This is as per Dr Russell Barkley. (See pages 12-13. He addresses the 'diet as a cause of ADHD' pretty directly.) http://www.greatschools.org/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?date=4-12-05

Unfortunately for me, and those above, diet changes cannot reduce the number of dopamine reuptake receptors on my PFC neurons. Nor can it prevent those neurons from over-storing dopamine. Methylphenidate works, though.

Thanks for sharing.

"I wouldn't have had good scientific ideas if I had thought more normally."
--- Prof John Nash: Nobel Laureate in Economics, Schizophrenic, subject of "A Beautiful Mind"

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KCTang For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-29-11), dsvlil1 (08-29-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Fortune (08-30-11), kaperton (09-07-11), Kirby Albee (09-11-11), Lunacie (08-29-11), mctavish23 (08-29-11), meadd823 (08-29-11), slugger (08-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13), tudorose (11-01-11)
Old 08-29-11, 07:57 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Although I respect any ones decision to be a vegan - and I am alaways happy to hear when some one finds some thing that works for them - I for one do better with some animal proteins in my diet. I simply can not exist and feel physically healthy without some variety of animal protein.

It would make our lives easier and I know for sure it would make medical research and treatment a lot more efficient if we were all alike While we are similar we are not all identical = What is good for the goose is NOT necessary good for the gander.

I think a lot has to do with our ancestors and what they ate - If I ate the same diet as my husband my plumbing would clog. He eats very little vegetables or fruits - I gotta have those and plenty of them. He can't eat a lot of fish and fruits like I do - it upsets his stomach and gives him the nasty wet farts!

Despite our difference in what we eat we are both healthy and active adults.

Again happy you found some thing that has improved your life.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-04-11), Luvmybully (08-31-11), mctavish23 (08-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 08-29-11, 08:11 PM
Forum ADDvocate

425runner has a spectacular aura about425runner has a spectacular aura about

I have to agree with the OP about the diet. I had to go on a no carb/no sugars diet because of systemic yeast infection and let me tell ya...it was hard!! For two weeks I wasn't able to function as my body was detoxing itself but after that I entered ketosis which is well studied to help with ADHD and seizures. I became very calm and ditched Vyvanse. I still drink lots of green tea to make it through the day but just changing my diet made a huge difference.

That plus taking NALT 350mg twice a day and acetyl L-carnitine 500 mg TID to help me stay sharp and focused.
The Following User Says Thank You to 425runner For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (08-29-11)
Old 08-29-11, 09:02 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,282 Times in 13,269 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry but I need some science and studies to back up ketosis and adhd and raw foods and adhd. To convince me. I'm sure they help a multitude of health problems but adhd is a brain disorder and foods have not done squat in attacking this issue.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Illiterati (10-31-11), LittleFrog (10-10-13), mctavish23 (08-29-11), MotherADHD (12-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 08-29-11, 09:07 PM

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
First of all, Welcome to the FORUM.

I think it's great that you're better,for whatever reasons.

I also believe you're honestly sharing your "success" story,

which is relevant to you and your life experiences.

However, and I say this respectfully with no malice intended,

the peer reviewed research on this very subject, going all the

way back to the 1970's, does NOT support the statistical sig-

-nificance of dietary changes as a "clinical treatment"/evidence

based (research supported) intervention for ADHD.

At the same time, I respect and appreciate your anecdotal feedback,

and again Welcome you here.

Someone you may enjoy reading is John F Taylor,PhD.

He's in Oregon and is a big proponent of this.

I also believe him to be an ethical practitioner.

The problem,just like with all the Feingold data,is that

no one outside Feingold's students,which includes Dr Taylor,

has been able to replicate those same results.

From a research standpoint, that is the "gold standard"

of longitudinal validity & reliability.

The same holds true for Daniel Amen's work as well.

Thank you again.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTang View Post
Hi, Welcome to the forums.

Most cases of ADHD are a result of an impaired Prefrontal Cortex (too many dopamine reuptake receptors) or damage to the Prefrontal Cortex (accidentally, or during pregnancy).

This is as per Dr Russell Barkley. (See pages 12-13. He addresses the 'diet as a cause of ADHD' pretty directly.) http://www.greatschools.org/pdfs/2200_7-barktran.pdf?date=4-12-05

Unfortunately for me, and those above, diet changes cannot reduce the number of dopamine reuptake receptors on my PFC neurons. Nor can it prevent those neurons from over-storing dopamine. Methylphenidate works, though.

Thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Although I respect any ones decision to be a vegan - and I am alaways happy to hear when some one finds some thing that works for them - I for one do better with some animal proteins in my diet. I simply can not exist and feel physically healthy without some variety of animal protein.

It would make our lives easier and I know for sure it would make medical research and treatment a lot more efficient if we were all alike While we are similar we are not all identical = What is good for the goose is NOT necessary good for the gander.

I think a lot has to do with our ancestors and what they ate - If I ate the same diet as my husband my plumbing would clog. He eats very little vegetables or fruits - I gotta have those and plenty of them. He can't eat a lot of fish and fruits like I do - it upsets his stomach and gives him the nasty wet farts!

Despite our difference in what we eat we are both healthy and active adults.

Again happy you found some thing that has improved your life.
You guys are class acts!

I am envious of your composure.

BRAVO!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-30-11), kaperton (09-07-11), KCTang (08-30-11), Lunacie (08-30-11), mctavish23 (08-29-11), MotherADHD (12-29-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 08-29-11, 10:50 PM

Thanked 10,056 Times in 3,166 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

R U TALKING TO ME ?

j/k

I'm always glad to hear of personal success stories.

However,to quote Russ Barkley :

"Anecdotal Is Not Statistically Significant."

Unless the results can be translated "around the world,"

so to speak, it's strictly an individual phenomenon.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (08-30-11), dsvlil1 (08-30-11), Luvmybully (08-31-11), Stevuke79 (10-10-13)
Old 08-30-11, 02:06 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,238 Times in 8,584 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

It might be instructive to take a look at the threads about other conditions that mimic ADHD but are not 'the real thing'
For some of those conditions dietary changes can be part of the treatment. And if that makes the condition improve than what you have done is effectively treating a 'condition that mimics ADHD'
Dizfriz (09-04-11), dsvlil1 (08-30-11), Etcetera (08-30-11), Illiterati (10-31-11), Lunacie (08-30-11), mctavish23 (08-30-11)
Old 08-30-11, 11:45 AM

fallegend is on a distinguished road

A few years ago, in order to lose weight, I eat tomatoes three days, I feel I do have some increased attention. But did not insist. I decided to try again. Thank you for your experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fallegend For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-04-11), mctavish23 (08-30-11)