ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 01-05-08, 09:14 AM

vicky31mom is on a distinguished road
Question Differences in Concerta vs Vyvanese

My son has ADHD combined type and he has been on a couple of different drugs most recently dexadrine short release which I do not think is working at ALL! So we talked to his new dr and she prescribed Concerta. I was excited about trying this I heard alot of moms tell me they had great success. Well I forgot that Concerta had this special pill that could not be crushed or chewed and my son cannot swallow pills he freaks out. So He has another appt on the 10th and the dr said not to worry about it we arent out of options yet. I was doing some checking and I saw something about Vyvanese and that the way they describe it, it sounds similar to Concerta except for the fact that it can be opened and sprinkled on food or in a drink!
So what are some of the similarities and differences between Concerta and Vyvanses????
The Following User Says Thank You to vicky31mom For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Old 01-05-08, 12:41 PM
Contributor

arkyle will become famous soon enough
Re: Differences in Concerta vs Vyvanese

As far as I know Vyvanse cannot be opened. The differences are A LOT. There are basically two types of drugs: amphetamine based and methylphedinate based. Dexedrine, as well as adderall and desoxyn, is amphetamine based, while concerta is a methylphedinate based continous release pill. Vyvanse (Lisdexamfetamine) is an amphetamine based prodrug.

About his freaking out, how old is him? What about Daytrana? It's basically concerta on a patch.

Oh, yeah, BTW. I'm going the same day with my doc. I'm taking Concerta right now and it makes wonders (used to take Ritalin but I had to take it every 4 hours), but I feel I need a higher dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to arkyle For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Old 01-05-08, 08:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

2scattered is on a distinguished road

I don't know about opening it and sprinkling it on food, but you can dissolve the capsule in water and drink it. There are tips on the Vyvanse forum for how to do this.

Vyvanse and Dexedrine basically share the same active ingredient (D-amphetamine), but their delivery systems are different. This doesn't mean that he won't respond to the Vyvanse if he wasn't responding to Dexedrine, but it is something to consider. I personally find them to be very different, but my view is skewed... I only take Dexedrine boosters vs. larger doses of Vyvanse. The only similarities between Concerta and Vyvanse is that their both long acting...12-14 hours.

I believe some of the longer acting forms of Ritalin can be put in applesauce and as the previous poster suggested there is also Daytrana...a good alternative for kids except that it takes 3 hours to kick in so you'll have to address this issue either by putting it on him before he's out of bed or by giving him a small oral dose of b4 the patch kicks in.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2scattered For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-08, 01:30 PM

spastic_mouse is on a distinguished road

Vyvanse's medical name is lisdexamphetamine. It is essentially meth, dumbed down, (dexamphetamine), and then, its release is controlled by a essential amino acid, L-lysine. The L-lysine stops you from taking it in any other way than ingestion (shooting up, snorting it, etc....), so opening the capsule will be fine. BUT, becareful what you mix it with, apparently Lactaid, or lemon juice will unbond the amino acid, which means it'll hit him all at once. I think the best idea is to get you kid to learn to open wide, relax the gag reflex, and remember to swallow. (Yes, it's there, its subtle, but it IS there.) Honestly, it's easier, especially since he WILL not want to eat, even the next day, so its a bad method. Drinking it might also work, I suppose. I found the best way to swallow pills (before I got used to it...) was to put the pill in my mouth, and drink normmally, but quickly. That, or hold the water, etc in my mouth, lean back as if to gargle, and wait for the pill to float around the center (where you can't feel that it is there) and then swallow quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to spastic_mouse For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Old 10-21-08, 12:31 AM
Jr Member

g2uncompressed is on a distinguished road

Im a 17yr old dude and I started on Concerta, but switched to Vyvanse and it lasts longer throughout the day for me w/ less side effects. Also, importantly, Vyvanse doesnt kill my appetite while Concerta did, and appetites a big issue when you are still growing!

Good luck vicky31mom!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to g2uncompressed For This Useful Post:
BethSC (12-15-08), The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Old 12-03-08, 05:05 PM

kareen5712 is on a distinguished road

My 9 year old son has been on Concerta for a couple of months now and the difference made has been very slight. His last dose was 45 mg and his doctor has now prescribed Vyvanse. I am concerned about the effects and the differences this drug will have. With Concerta, his appetite has dropped and he does have trouble going to sleep, but that seems to have gotten somewhat better. I am concerned about Vyvanse because of how long it takes effect and it lasting longer than Concerta.

My son also has trouble swallowing pills. We tried water, milk, pudding and bread to no luck but my son loves to take a spoonful of peanut butter ever now and then so I put the pills in peanut butter and he gets it down no problem.

kareen5712
The Following User Says Thank You to kareen5712 For This Useful Post:
The ADHD Fan (01-05-09)
Old 01-05-09, 11:20 PM
Contributor

The ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of lightThe ADHD Fan is a glorious beacon of light

These other posters are well-knowledged, they pretty much hit the nail on the head for this one!

If I may, here are a few other things about Vyvanse:
  • It targets a different enzyme system than many other common drugs, which are fewer potentially negative drug-drug interactions with Vyvanse than with other ADHD medications.
  • Spastic_mouse brings up an interesting point about taking Vyvanse with Lactaid or lemon juice, that's interesting to hear. While you probably want to stay away from strong acids or enzymes, Vyvanse has a reputation of being a bit more hardy than other drugs, as far as not being affected by volume and composition of food taken alongside of it.
  • The drug clears from the body relatively well, so there's less of a chance for a cummulative toxic buildup
  • There are a few potential negative drug interactions such as MAOI's (Monoamine Oxidase inhibitor drugs, which include several types of antidepressants), and even a few natural compounds such as turmeric, which is a key component of most curries.
  • I did a research article a few weeks ago on some more pros and cons of Vyvanse as an ADHD treatment, if anyone's interested in a bit more info on the drug (it took a long time to dig up info on a lot of this stuff!)
Hope this helps you out a bit...

Best of luck to both you and your son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky31mom View Post
My son has ADHD combined type and he has been on a couple of different drugs most recently dexadrine short release which I do not think is working at ALL! So we talked to his new dr and she prescribed Concerta. I was excited about trying this I heard alot of moms tell me they had great success. Well I forgot that Concerta had this special pill that could not be crushed or chewed and my son cannot swallow pills he freaks out. So He has another appt on the 10th and the dr said not to worry about it we arent out of options yet. I was doing some checking and I saw something about Vyvanese and that the way they describe it, it sounds similar to Concerta except for the fact that it can be opened and sprinkled on food or in a drink!
So what are some of the similarities and differences between Concerta and Vyvanses????
The Following User Says Thank You to The ADHD Fan For This Useful Post:
croloff303 (01-13-09)
Old 02-25-09, 10:32 PM

cnotc is on a distinguished road

BUT, becareful what you mix it with, apparently Lactaid, or lemon juice will unbond the amino acid, which means it'll hit him all at once. I think the best idea is to get you kid to learn to open wide, relax the gag reflex, and remember to swallow.

Actually, this is not true. The makers of Vyvanse went to great lengths to design a drug which would get approved and marketed as "less abusable". And if lactaid was all it took to break the bond, well then they would have done a pretty lousy job. Actually, a little searching online and you'll discover that in order to "unbond" the amino acid from the active drug you need pepsin. Pepsin is that funny little enzyme in our stomachs, that when combined with your stomach acid breaks down proteins (and lysine-bonded dextroamphetamine). So no need to worry about mixing it with anything and it hitting him (your son) all at once.

You should know that sodium bicarb (tums, etc, or any alkaline substance) when co-administered with amphetamines, increases the effects of the drug and any acidic foods (orange juice, soda, etc) will decrease the effects of the drug. Avoid taking either of these with Vyvanse in order to be consistent with your son's dosing for best results.

As for the differences, just about everything everyone had to say IMO is right on. I would like to add that each person's chemistry is slightly different. What works for your son may not work for mine, and what works for me may not work for you. The subjective experience of "better" combined with the (more) objective observations of your son's teachers and yourself may clearly define what works. If the side effects of one drug outweigh the benefit then it is clearly time to move on and try something else.

I am certain by now you have figured out what works best. You can't (and shouldn't) take the subjective opinions of mine or anyone else's as the basis for your son's medication regimen. Good luck.

CNOTC

Last edited by cnotc; 02-25-09 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: grammar correction, deletion of "small intestine" for accuracy
The Following User Says Thank You to cnotc For This Useful Post:
Brittany (12-17-13)