ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-09-08, 04:08 PM

JohnW is on a distinguished road
Dexedrine VS Adderall

After reading posts on this forum I was under the assumption that Dexedrine caused less side effects and was less "severe" or "intense" than Adderall. I went to my doctor today and asked him if I could try Dexedrine because I am unhappy with the side effects of Adderall. He responded that Dexedrine would be much worse than Adderall and that it is a stronger stimulant. From what I understood, he contradicted much of what I have heard about Dexedrine and Adderall. Does anyone agree with him? I am confused.
Old 01-09-08, 05:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Re: Dexedrine VS Adderall

Obviously he has not tried them both, at equi-potent doses.
Old 01-09-08, 05:14 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,003 Times in 629 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Is he an ADHD Psychiatrist?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-08, 05:21 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

I've found that most docs have some serious misconceptions about Dexedrine. Ridiculous ones, really. I hate the stigma surrounding dex. :P

Dex is not "worse" than Adderall and seems to generally come with far less side effects for many and more tolerable ones when they do occur.

Dexedrine does not cause as much PNS stimulation as Adderall so it doesn't make me as fidgety or feel like I'm "on something" all the time. It's so much smoother in onset, during, and wearing off. I don't get headaches, mood swings/irritability, or the ceneral "crash" I did with Adderall. Another plus for me... IR dex lasts as long as it should for me (around 4hrs) but IR Adderall would often start losing effectiveness and giving me rebound symptoms after only 2.5 hours! I had to break up my doses and take them fairly frequently to avoid this during the day.

Also, I'm able to exercise and such after taking dex whereas whith Adderall I would get the racing heartbeat from any real physical exertion.

I had to take Adderall with food beacuse it would irritate my stomach otherwise. I'm able to dex with or without food so I can take it when I first get up, before breakfast, but I can also take it with lunch if necessary.

I honestly don't understand why docs have this idea in their head that Dexedrine is this scary dangerous horrible med, but Adderall is fine. Confuses the hell out of me.
IMO, the abuse potential of Dex is *lower* than Adderall. There's no noticable "buzz" or "high" to speak of, even in the beginning (for me), whereas most people do feel that way early on with Adderall and sometimes end up chasing that thinking it means the med is "working."
If one was looking for a prescription amphetamine med to abuse, dex would not be at the top of that list, IMO. But so many docs seem to think that's the case.

Maybe just tell him you realize everyone reacts differently to different meds and you'd like to give dex a shot and see how it does for you. That's what I did. My doc didn't seem thrilled with the idea and suggested Vyvanse instead but I told him I really just wanted to give this a shot first, then I'd consider Vyvanse or whatever if it wasn't successful. I'm SO glad I did and he respected my opinion. But not all docs are like mine at all.

I had a discussion about ADD meds with my therapist a couple weeks ago and he's a ritalin guy. He couldn't stand Adderall himself and knew plenty of people with side effects but was still of the idea that Dexedrine was worse and insanely strong and all this. I related my experiences and research to him and he was quite surprised but seemed to take me seriously and find it interesting. I hope he'll take it into consideration the next time he has a similar conversation.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meriellyn For This Useful Post:
anonone (02-26-09), dmcd7782 (05-26-12), Macavity224 (08-25-11), nomannomad (12-21-10)
Old 01-09-08, 05:22 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

my experience with dexedrine and adderall is that dexedrine was far less "potent" than adderall.

I was on adderall xr 30 mg daily.

I tried dexedrine starting at 15mg in the AM and 15mg in the PM. I did up the dex to 20 mg in the AM, about the last week I used it. I was on Dexedrine for approximately one month.

Didn't do it for me. I didn't feel the same "kick in the pants" I had with Adderall.

For side effects, I really don't have any to complain of on Adderall, but the only thing I did notice with the dex was that in the evening when it started to wear off, I became VERY tired. It was not really a big deal since it hit around bedtime anyway.

It was also my understanding that dexedrine was smoother than adderall. My doctor didn't tell me anything to the contrary when I asked to try dexedrine.

Old 01-09-08, 08:53 PM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about

I believe mg per mg, Dexedrine would be considered "stronger" (i.e. more potent) than Adderall. Your doc my be rationalizing this simply because Dexedrine is pure dextroamphetamine, whereas Adderall is a mixture of four amphetamine salts.

Everyone reacts differently, though. I found Dexedrine to be "smoother" than adderall, though both seem to be equally "effective" for me as far as controlling my ADD/ADHD symptoms, if that makes sense at all.
Old 01-10-08, 07:36 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

Dex seems to be able to do something Adderall didn't... clear the negative clutter out of my head so I can actually think. Adderall helped me focus for school and such but Dexedrine helps me focus in everyday situations. I'm not as tormented by the constant unpleasant noise bouncing around in there. I just didn't think about it with Adderall, then it'd all come rushing back when it wore off. Dex actually seems to make it mostly go away and without nevative rebound thinking.

I wasn't able to do much emotional processing on Adderall. That's partially why I usually wanted to minimize my contact with other people when I took it. I feel like with dex, I'm able to process things better and make healthier more logical choices because I'm not as distraught by the self-doubt I trip myself up with constantly.

Adderall motivated me to do stuff right off the bat and I was worried that dex might not help me with that, particularly for school, because it felt so smooth but I've found now that once I get started with my day, I'm ready to get stuff done. I just hafta make the initial step myself whereas I felt more pushed by Adderall.

I've been on Dexedrine for about 6 weeks now and I'm quite pleased. Other people have started noticing the improvement as well. Adderall helped me improve my grades but dex seems to be helping me improve myself.

I realized today that I feel... ok. I'm really ok. And I feel like I'm more able to handle life in general (without trying to take on too much at once as I did on Adderall).

I like being ok. It feels good.

It's hard to describe ones experiences with these sort of meds sometimes. I hope this came across clearly enough. It's the best comparison I can come up without comparing side effects or physical feelings.
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to meriellyn For This Useful Post:
AddYourAll (05-14-12), amu_d (08-14-08), AnnaNimidi (12-10-13), bedtime (06-30-14), Bulliams (09-08-08), Califax (02-06-09), Drones200 (02-05-14), HiddenHermit (04-28-11), Howard_C (09-07-08), If Only (04-14-11), jari (12-13-09), JohntheGrey (11-23-12), Keep0nkeepn0n (02-27-09), kwalk (08-19-08), Macavity224 (08-25-11), Magsmoll (02-17-10), marviedanger (09-14-09), mentalfloss (01-16-12), mochi (05-11-08), Mrspotsby (05-27-11), nomannomad (11-30-10), OneRubySlipper (01-15-12), salleh (09-23-10), simpleblue (09-18-08), sloppitty-sue (02-06-09), Undiestainz (02-06-09)
Old 01-11-08, 01:30 PM
Fantastic super duper mod

Thanked 1,617 Times in 799 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't find that Adderall did anything better for me than dex. My doctor only gave me a sample of Adderall so maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. But since I didn't have anything amazing to say about it, I just went back to dex. Hey.. if it ain't broke...
Old 01-13-08, 04:19 AM

HooahMSII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeloresMelon View Post
my experience with dexedrine and adderall is that dexedrine was far less "potent" than adderall.

I was on adderall xr 30 mg daily.

I tried dexedrine starting at 15mg in the AM and 15mg in the PM. I did up the dex to 20 mg in the AM, about the last week I used it. I was on Dexedrine for approximately one month.

Didn't do it for me. I didn't feel the same "kick in the pants" I had with Adderall.

For side effects, I really don't have any to complain of on Adderall, but the only thing I did notice with the dex was that in the evening when it started to wear off, I became VERY tired. It was not really a big deal since it hit around bedtime anyway.

It was also my understanding that dexedrine was smoother than adderall. My doctor didn't tell me anything to the contrary when I asked to try dexedrine.
This is my experience as well. I went from Adderall XR to Dexedrine, as I felt the Adderall was not as effective as it was when I started, plus the SE weren't great.

On dexedrine and lexapro, I might as well have been eating PEZ candies. I got unbelievably far behind in my school work and really went about 100 steps backwards. Going back, after a big exam unfortunately, to be put back onto adderall and see if I can drop the lexapro.

However, DEX did put me in a happy, talkative mood all the time. It just didn't let me study like I needed to. I'd rather be a productive emotionless drone than a happy street bum
deadmau5 (02-10-13), SmilingEyes (04-05-11)
Old 01-13-08, 05:18 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooahMSII View Post
However, DEX did put me in a happy, talkative mood all the time. It just didn't let me study like I needed to. I'd rather be a productive emotionless drone than a happy street bum
yep. I found though, oddly, by keeping my zoloft at 25 mg, no more no less, my moods are pretty even. Depends how focused I am on the task at hand and how often I've been interrupted.

Old 01-18-08, 02:45 AM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

My psychiatrist actually told me there is a stigma in the medical community about dexedrine. He even asked me if the pharmacist gave me a hard time filling it etc.

I was surprised and told him I had no problems filling it.

Last week I saw a new MD when I was refilling my blood pressure med. Just another doc at my normal office. As soon as I mentioned Dexedrine he grilled me for about 30 mins. Why I was taking it how long i was taking it etc. Why I thought I had ADD. After all that I was a little frustrated and was like give me my BP script. He recomended I get off dexedrine or at the very least I needed to increase my SSRI since I spoke frankly with him about my anxiety.

I was very shocked to run into this, but after cooling down it really made me think about why dexedrine has sutch a stigma.

All it takes is one idiot to cause a lot of harm in the world. There is one way to make people crazy. That is push their dopamine levels through the roof. This is why stimulants and other drugs that boost dopamine levels are all class 2-3 drugs. In that tiny fraction of the population dex can push them over the edge and turn them psychotic. All it takes is one idiot.

Be vigilant.

BobC
The Following User Says Thank You to bobC For This Useful Post:
salleh (06-15-10)
Old 01-18-08, 12:27 PM

ADDitional is on a distinguished road

Compared to dex, adderall is a side-effect filled speed pill to me. I'm glad I found this forum, b/c if I didn't I'd probably be trying some other crap like vyvanse or back on adderall...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDitional For This Useful Post:
Nick The Newbie (04-17-11), nomannomad (12-21-10), STL Inattentive (09-07-11)
Old 01-18-08, 02:30 PM
Contributor

bobC has a spectacular aura aboutbobC has a spectacular aura about

Vyvanse is dexedrine in a 12 hour formulation

BobC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobC For This Useful Post:
artymom (12-22-12), Nick The Newbie (04-17-11)
Old 01-20-08, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

butterfly67 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like Dex has alot of Pro's and not alot of Con's. I am going to ask for it, myself.
I think it may helpme focus as Adderall is good, too just doesn't do alot for my concentration, (I have noticed this even in the short time I have been on it) but I have been on a tiny dose and not very long, so my opinion may not count until I have been on it a while.
Old 01-20-08, 06:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

butterfly67 is on a distinguished road

How long would one of you say the Dex lasts? The 5mg IR? And the 10mg?