ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 02-21-04, 10:59 AM

flvampgirl is on a distinguished road
Question ADD and chronic lateness on the job?

Ok, I'm new to the forums and also newly diagnosed with ADD. I'm 37 years old and female. I sure wish I had know this sooner and started medication earlier because it might have helped.

Anyhow, I just got fired recently. I have had problems all my life getting ANYWHERE on time. Not just work, but even stuff that's fun, appointments, just about everything. It's not that big of a deal when you're talking about friends, but having a problem with being late is detrimental to just about ANY job. And that's pretty much why I haven't held a job longer than 3 years before getting let go. It's usually always a tardiness or attendance problem.

Well now I'm on medication, but don't have a new job yet. I'm taking Adderall twice a day and also trying to make myself get up earlier at the advice of my psychiatrist. I would sleep until noon before on weekends and wouldn't wake up earlier usually without an alarm. And sometimes I sleep through the alarm which is what happened the day I got fired. I'm not much of a morning person. I love the night time, but I don't want a night job, so I'm trying to make myself adapt and be on the daytime schedule that most of my friends and family are on.

What I'm wondering is this: Anybody else have a major problem with punctuality and/or attendance at work? And if you do or did, did medications help with the problem?

I feel so stupid and/or lazy at times because I'm 37 years old and having problems with such basic things as getting to work on time, which is a no brainer. I mean, you know it's important and you know it can be crucial to whether you succeed or not, but still you have problems. And no one at work can seem to understand why you are ALWAYS 5-10 minutes late. It doesn't make you feel too good about yourself, that's for sure.

I really need to address this problem or I'll never hold a job for any period, so I'm hoping the medication will help some. I realize part of it is changing behavior as well, but maybe the medicine will help give me a 'push' to change this detrimental behavior.

I appreciate any and all comments on this and whether or not medication has helped. Thanks!

www.felinefemale.com
Old 02-21-04, 11:35 AM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
I did have a problem with punctuality at work and everywhere else, for that matter. Medication did help, not only with punctuality, but also with my overall performance, fewer mistakes, better ability to use my time well, fewer incidences of foot in mouth, etc...

I do not give credit to the medcation, though. I credit myself for making the necessary changes. The medication just allowed me to be more successful. I compare it to a key I need to unlock abilities which already exist in me.

Quote:
I feel so stupid and/or lazy at times because I'm 37 years old and having problems with such basic things as getting to work on time, which is a no brainer. I mean, you know it's important and you know it can be crucial to whether you succeed or not, but still you have problems. And no one at work can seem to understand why you are ALWAYS 5-10 minutes late. It doesn't make you feel too good about yourself, that's for sure.
Welcome to ADHD and welcome to the forums!
Old 02-21-04, 12:17 PM

LostOne is on a distinguished road
Hi flvampgirl! Welcome to the forums!!

I too am always a few minutes late for work. Luckily, I've been at my job a long time and my boss is very nice and understanding. Acutally, Last weekend I somehow ended up there 5 minutes early. My boss, and everyone else at the bar, looked at me like there was something wrong . My boss laughed and told me to walk back out and come back in 10 minutes! I don't know what I'll ever do if I leave that place, I get away with too much there!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 12:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
Welcome,

I too had a major problem with lateness and tardiness. What I have found to work for me is a total schedule change. I now work the graveyard which just happens to be my peak performance time anyway's. Just remember there are many factor's to look into and keep working at it until you find a schedule that fit's your specific needs.

Good Luck
Cherity
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 02-21-04, 12:37 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
LOL, LostOne, when I started showing up early, there was mass confusion. It seems I had been reliably tardy! If someone came in after me, but still on time, I could always count on them to check their watch against the work clock. Norms.
Old 02-21-04, 12:45 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
A lot of ADDults who I have been in contact with have problems getting to work on time. Medication may help but using strategies to help you is very important too.

One things that help many people is instead of thinking about what time you need to be at work think about what time you actually need to leave the house. So many of us have the time that we need to be at an appointment engrained in our minds instead of the time we actually need to get out of the house.

Also look at what is the main reason you are late? Does it have more to do with waking up or does is have to do with loosing track of time while getting ready for work?

If it has more to do time you could set up a schedule and a routine to follow while getting ready. Using a timer(s) can also be very helpful.
Old 02-21-04, 01:15 PM

Red face

Usually it's been waking up or sleeping through the alarm. If I hear the alarm, I tend to hit snooze to get a few more minutes of sleep and think I can still make it. But I also noticed that if I DO get up early, then I end up thinking I have enough time to check my email or do other things than just get ready and go. So I think it's not just waking up on time but also getting distracted before leaving if I get up in enough time.

So far the medication has helped some in my wakefulness some, but not having a job, I don't know if it's going to help me get to work on time. And I do seem to finish tasks a little bit more than I did, or even start to do things I didn't much before, like cleaning. So I guess we will see.

www.felinefemale.com
Old 02-21-04, 01:28 PM
Forum ADDvocate

apcpapergirl is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the ADD Forums flvampgirl

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-21-04, 01:41 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
One thing that helps many people wake up is setting an additional alarm 30-60 minutes before the time they actually want get up and take medication then.
Old 02-21-04, 02:06 PM

Lightbulb

Well now that I'm on the medication, the idea of setting the alarm 30 min before I want to get up sounds like a pretty good idea. Today as soon as I woke up, my husband even said something about taking my medicine. He knows how hard it is to get me out of bed in the mornings. I think also sometimes it's hard to 'shut my brain off' at night so sometimes I do have trouble getting to sleep. I'm more of a night person and I would think of things I needed to do the next day and then go off on weird tangents. I try to keep my day planner (which I finally started using on my psychologist's recommendation) next to my bed, so I can write stuff down and maybe know I won't forget it the next day. I know Adderall can cause insomnia as well, but I was having problems before I got on it. My body just doesn't seem to want to be on an 8 to 5 schedule on its own.

I take Adderall when I first wake up and then my second dose at 1 pm. Right now, I'm breaking the tablet in half for my second dose so that maybe it won't interfere as much with me getting to sleep. I'm also on Wellbutrin for depression. My psychiatrist wanted me to take both. Besides the medication, I'm also going to counseling once a week right now to help with changing behaviors and getting more organized, etc.

It seems like that I'm finally figuring some stuff out that most non ADD people take for granted at being able to do, like use calendars, day planners, paying bills on time, cleaning, organizing, and not being so impulsive. So while it may not be a big deal to them, it is to me because I'm trying to change 37 years of negative behaviors and being too messy, late and impulsive. So if the medication helps me, then I figure it's got to be better than it was.

Thanks for the tip, though, about setting an alarm to take medication before getting up. I'm sure I'll find some other good tips now that I'm aware of being ADD. For so many years, I felt I had so many character and personality problems, and of course misunderstood because I wasn't TRYING to cause problems for other people. It just seemed to follow me around. I always had good intentions, but things just never seemed to work out right. I'm hoping that will change for the better now that I know.

www.felinefemale.com
Old 02-21-04, 03:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Lafnalot is on a distinguished road
I have adhd and ocpd, so not only do i tend to sleep through an alarm but I tend to get lost in trivial cleaning duties and end up late. Once i was late for my second try at the shrinks office and they were gonna send me away , i tossed such a fit stating that this was half the reason I was there, that I have serious issued detering my life and that this was a prime adhd symptom. They found room for me, but I think the shrink just wanted to be able to tell me it wasnt just an adhd issue lol. She was quite pleased to tell me I had ocpd too.

I keep all my clocks fifteen minutes ahead.I keep my alarm across the room, I have to literally get up to go turn it off, my kid has an alarm set for the same time usually. I also use music to wake up to because I can set it to be so loud that it jars me awake. I set my coffee maker to make my coffee just before I wake, that helps alot. I also do the same things every morning, I only get me and the kids dressed, drink some tea, or coffee, get myself dressed and stagger out the door to drop them at their prospective appointments. I eat something on the way to work. I have been the early arrivale FOR WORK ( lets not discuss fun and other appointments yet, thats a whole nother head game for me) for a long time now.
Old 02-21-04, 03:51 PM

The only problem with setting clocks ahead is that I always know they are ahead, so it doesn't make me be on time. Setting the alarm where I have to get up to go somewhere else to turn it off might help, but it could also drive my husband nuts if I don't get up and turn it off quick enough. He's a very light sleeper. I, on the other hand, can sleep through just about anything when I'm tired.

It seems some people with ADD tend to be more hyperactive, so maybe this isn't as much of an issue with them. But if anything, I would be described as hypoactive. I have serious energy problems which is something else I deal with.

But all of these tips are good and hopefully something will work when I get a new job. It had better, anyway.

www.felinefemale.com
Old 02-21-04, 06:36 PM
Forum ADDvocate

apcpapergirl is on a distinguished road
Place your alarm clock across the room, not near bed... so you'll have to get outta bed to turn it off..... or let it ring & ring & ring

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-21-04, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

lilthingsADDup is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never had problems with lateness on the job. I just made sure that I allowed enough time for myself. I think chronic lateness tends to have more to do with apathy, laziness, and even inconsideration for others than something like ADHD. But, that's just my not so humble opinion.
Old 02-21-04, 09:30 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by lilthingsADDup
I've never had problems with lateness on the job. I just made sure that I allowed enough time for myself. I think chronic lateness tends to have more to do with apathy, laziness, and even inconsideration for others than something like ADHD. But, that's just my not so humble opinion.
I've never tried to be inconsiderate to others, nor do I feel apathetic about work. I generally do good work. It's just a matter of running 5-10 minutes late most of the time. If you are ADD, then perhaps time management isn't a problem for you, but I gather it is for most, just from what I've read so far. Of course, people that aren't ADD probably see someone with ADD as apathetic, lazy, or inconsiderate.

www.felinefemale.com