ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-08, 12:54 PM
Jr Member

zmarie is on a distinguished road
CogMed - if you try it, please post about it

If anyone tries this expensive program to improve working memory, please, please, please post and tell us how it works for you.
Specifically,

1.What are your ADHD symptoms?

2.Which ones, if any, improved through the program?

3.In your personal opinion, do you find a strong link between your ADHD symptoms and your working memory?

4.Compared to any, cheap, online/computer programs and games aimed to improve working memory - I am trying Lumosity for free, believe there are tons of them - that are not as elaborate, multifaceted & researched as CogMed... well... do you feel/believe/experience that there is a significant enough difference?

5.Do you feel there could possibly be any justification for the high cost of this program?
Old 01-18-08, 01:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: CogMed - if you try it, please post about it

Hi there. My son's neuropsych recommended this program for him. He is diagnosed with ADHD and EFD. I dug around (as i always do). Though I don't have any personal experience with it (yet), there is a local provider here that I spoke with who had some really promising things to say regarding the few clients that have been through it here in Phoenix (it is still new here). At the time I spoke with him, he was also doing the program, and from an adult's perspecitve, he said he was very excited at the results it had on him so far with his memory. He then gave me the number of a mom who's 19-year-old daughter went through it, and her and I talked quite awhile about it. She said it was VERY hard for her daughter to do, but with the results she had on her memroy, her daughter is a lot more confident in her classes and is doing much better. She would also highly recommend it. Dr. Ed Hallowell has recently as of September added it to his list of therapies he has to offer at his treatment centers.

As for the cost, considering the Dore program (over 4 grand) 1500 is a drop in the bucket for only 5 weeks and bam, you've got some results on the working memory. Long-term studies need to be done to evalulate the permanence, tho they do offer a refresher course if some benefits are lost.

I am also doing lumosity, and I reall like it too, compared to some of the other games out there for WM.

I'd also like to hear what you find out, and what you decide to do.
Old 01-20-08, 09:05 PM

TerryM has disabled reputation

I have been studying CogMed, have talked to researchers, including Dr. David Rabiner and am about to start the program myself. The clinicians who are using it are reporting excellent results.

I know that for many, medication isn't an option, so I want to see what this program is like. I can report back on my personal experiences as soon as I get started.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-08, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

HelenF will become famous soon enough

Dear TerryM
Are you doing it? We are thinking of starting it for our son - would be very grateful for any information.
Helen
Mother to Luke[14] and Patrick [10] who both started Dore in March 2007. Luke started mentals July 2007. Patrick started mentals August 2007. Luke is now on the wind-down programme. Next appointment for both April 24th [last one for Luke].
Old 02-11-08, 09:29 PM

Hi,
I just started and though it's too early to really tell, I seem to be able to hang onto numbers better. I can keep you posted, if you'd like.

Terry
Old 02-11-08, 10:49 PM

FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

HI Terry! Thank you for taking the time to post what you are noticing so far. I would also appreciate knowing what you think of the program, both while you going at it and afterwards if you would like. You have a captive audience!

About the number recall, the mother I talked to said that her daughter could also now recall numbers without any difficuties, so that is interesting to hear.
Old 02-12-08, 08:40 AM

Hi,
No problem; I'll be happy to note my progress. But I also have to be clear and open that I will be working with CogMed on some projects, so please keep that in mind. I sometimes do PR related work with various companies and individuals. But with CogMed, I wanted to learn first hand what it was all about because so many people ask me about cognitive re-training programs. Many cannot take meds or need to find ways to augment the medication, as they still run into problems with executive functioning and working memory.

First, the program for adults is not the same as the one for kids. I haven't seen the kids' program, but have it and will take a look if you'd like.

The adult program is a serious of eight exercises that must be completed daily. At first, I thought they would be like Brain Gym by Nintendo, but these are definately tougher; at least for me. But I could see early on that I was forcing my brain to work differently and I can track my progress on the graphs that are in the program. So for example, the first two days, I could only remember a short sequence of numbers. That is getting better and better and somehow- and it's just plain weird- my brain has figured out ways to remember them.

Each exercise is a bit different. One, which I find hard, shows a short series of numbers that blink on, then off, on a rotating grid. You have to remember where they are, as the grid rotates 90 degrees. Since I have NEVER been good with spatial things, this was a real challenge. BUT....I'm doing better as my brain is being re-trained.

I've only done this for about a week (with a break due to a medical emergency), but already it seems that I can remember things like phone numbers when I call Information; something I was NEVER able to do and which frustrated me to no end.

I'm hoping that as I complete the program, these skills will generalize into more every day settings. I know that before I started the training, I talked to a number of clinicians and researchers to get their feedback and every single one was very impressed with the outcome. They said their clients found that even after many months later, they saw great improvement with their working memory.

I'll keep you posted-

Terry
www.ADDactionTeam.com

Author, "Survival Tips for Women with ADHD"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TerryM For This Useful Post:
alphalpha (05-24-09), FrazzleDazzle (02-12-08), HelenF (02-14-08), inattentiveprof (01-31-10), lelly88 (02-18-08)
Old 02-12-08, 08:37 PM

Thank you Terry! Thanks also for being upfront about your involvement with CogMed too. Can't wait to hear the next installment. LOL!
Old 02-14-08, 11:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

HelenF will become famous soon enough

Yes, thanks Terry - I too am very interested in your progress.
Mother to Luke[14] and Patrick [10] who both started Dore in March 2007. Luke started mentals July 2007. Patrick started mentals August 2007. Luke is now on the wind-down programme. Next appointment for both April 24th [last one for Luke].
Old 02-16-08, 12:02 PM

Panther71 has disabled reputation

I am seeing a therapist here in Massachusetts, and he suggested I might benefit from Cogmed as well. The only thing I find hard is the price, I wouldn't mind doing the program, its just 1500 hundred dollars is very hard to come up with. Its not like 150 bucks which is still hard but not as hard. He did say if I was one of the first few that started on this program, they are offering 200 dollars off the normal 1500 hundred price. Its still too high for me. With my normal wages and bills for the month, I barely make enough for my wife and I to live decently. If the price dropped or if I had the money I would definetely consider it, from what I read about Cogmed, most people retain 79% of what they learned from the program, years after doing it. So thats a good thing.
Old 02-19-08, 02:45 PM

Panther, it is expensive, and it's great that you were offered a discout. However, considering the cost of other neurotherapies coupled with the very high sucess rate and how quickly results can be obtained, it cannot be beat for exactly what it treats.
Old 03-06-08, 05:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd pop in to give you an update.
I had to take a break from the program as I was traveling and as I mentioned earlier, had a family medical emergency. But I will be starting again shortly with my Cogmed coach.

With only a week under my belt, I still notice an improvement with remembering numbers, ie phone numbers, adding numbers- that sort of thing. I'll be curious to see what happens when I complete the full program.

And I agree; though this is an expensive program, in the long run, it is way less expensive than a lifetime of medication.

Here's some more information on the training:

Cogmed Working Memory Training is a software-based intervention designed to improve working memory in children and adults. Through active and engaging exercises, children and adults train at home five days a week for five weeks. Every participant has a Personal Coach at a Cogmed Qualified Practice who leads the training, analyzes results and provides encouragement through weekly phone calls.

Published, peer-reviewed and controlled clinical studies have demonstrated that, upon completion of Cogmed Working Memory Training, 80% of participants have significantly improved their ability to concentrate and use complex reasoning skills over the long term.

You can request more info at www.cogmed.com

Terry
www.ADDactionTeam.com

Last edited by meadd823; 01-01-09 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: HTML error
The Following User Says Thank You to TerryM For This Useful Post:
lelly88 (03-09-08)
Old 03-06-08, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the update, we are all waiting for you to finish and tell us what you think! LOL. So, you feel that what you gained in one week that you did a while back, even that has stayed with you and not slipped away? :-)
Old 03-06-08, 11:21 PM

Yep, I will keep you posted.
I haven't called information to get a phone number since then, so I can't test my skills in that way. But I seem to be quicker in figuring out restaurant tabs. We shall see- I'll let you know.

Terry
www.ADDactionTeam.com

Old 03-21-08, 05:33 AM

Teadrinker2005 will become famous soon enough

Hello All,

I'm about to start Cogmed QM..Hopefully within the next two weeks...Just waiting for the programme to be sent,complete a few forms and Pay the 675!!!and then be registered.
Will keep this thread regularly updated...Really feeling positive about it...i just got too remember, not to put all my Easter eggs in one basket.

Is there anyone else here, on the Cogmed QM prog?

TD
The Following User Says Thank You to Teadrinker2005 For This Useful Post:
lelly88 (04-04-08)