ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-18-08, 03:45 PM

Razzlesnaff is on a distinguished road
Question Adderall XR more than one capsule a day?

I take Adderall XR 25 mg capsules every morning for a short period of time. (a little over 2 weeks) I've been looking up some things about the XR version, and have seen that some people take two or more capsules of Adderall XR through out the day. I was under the impression that the convenience of Adderall XR is that you only have to take it once. I ask only cause the capsules aren't really working very well anymore for me. I feel it's benefits very little compared to the first week. Considering taking a second capsule later in the day, wondering when the best possible moment to take the second capsule. How long do most people wait after the first capsule to take the second one?
Old 01-18-08, 09:46 PM

chickpea is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall XR more than one capsule a day?

i take two xr's a day. my first dose i take around 8am, the second I take around 12. I take two b/c I found that i wasn't getting complete coverage throughout the workday. With the extra dose I feel like I am medicated until I am ready for bed. Without it my work was lacking in the late afternoon, I was getting lost getting home and i was just blah from the rebound. I do not like to take it much later then 1:30-2pm b/c it can sometimes cause me to stay up too late when i should go to bed. It took some time to tweak the timing, you just have to play around and find what works best for you and yours schedule.
Old 01-19-08, 10:17 AM
Contributor

adhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really niceadhdogwalker is just really nice

I take two capsules of XR in the am-- for a total of 60 mg. This usually lasts me about 8 hours. Instead of taking more XR later in the day, I take IR to be covered for the rest of the day-- it probably lasts around 4 or 5 hrs. which suffices to cover me through the evening until I go to bed. People process the XR and IR at different rates so it lasts different amounts of time depending upon the person. It's also possible to combine the two types to fine-tune the amount of coverage you get in a day. I'm prescribed up to 40 mg./day IR, but vary the amount depending upon what I'm doing. Sometimes I even overlap it with the XR if I need to do something that requires extra concentration or have to go in a crowded, public, place (really helps with the anxiety I experience in public crowded places.)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-08, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Leah will become famous soon enough

I second Chickpea's post. Started taking the second XR (both 20mg) after about 6 weeks bc my day was just way longer than the 6 or so hours of "coverage." My dose times are 9 and 3 - just fyi, it's not like it's going to be the same for you.

A few things though:

1. Two weeks sounds kind of short. Lots of people (I see on the forums, I don't actually know) say after a bit you don't "feel" it, but it's still "working." Personally I didn't feel much but side effects for the first week, which did go away. So maybe give it a little more time?

2. Interestingly, the second dose isn't working out for me. It's just too much. I think there's some overlap/ buildup in there that I'm not quite understanding. So I'll be changing that plan.

3. If you choose to take the XR instead of the IR for your second dose, be really mindful of when you take it (meaning not too late) -- sleepless nights are NOT fun. If you chooe to take the IR for your second dose, watch for the "crash" at the end -- this was my reason for not taking the IR (too unpleasant).

4. Obviously, see what your doctor has to say. Mine didn't say anything past the common-sense stuff above, but there is a lot of other stuff he may suggest -- switching meds altogether, or adding another med for a cumulative or booster effect. It's always a bad idea to start experimenting on your own.
Old 01-25-08, 11:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

KitKat has a spectacular aura aboutKitKat has a spectacular aura about

I take 30mg XR at 6am, and then a 2nd at 11am.

If I take it after 2pm, I'm not tired until 3am.
Old 01-25-08, 01:22 PM

okok is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently take 2 10mg XR's in the morning. I might try staggering them a bit to see if it lasts longer, but if I don't feel enough in from just 10 in the morning, I may ask to do 20/10 or 20/20.

Noontime seems like a good estimate to me... generally you start to get a bit tired and less focused around them (part of your circadian rhythm, why many cultures have "siestas".. they're smart). And it shouldn't keep you up late if it's around noon.
Old 01-25-08, 02:26 PM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

I've opted to simply go back to IR. I'm currently on 30mg XR that i take around 9am. I feel it covers my day fine, but it's not working in a manner I'm happy with.

I prefer to have 20mg in the am, and add 10 or 15mg around 1 or 2pm. Or skip the afternoon dose all together, OR, take less in the am if I choose.

After being on the XR for 2 months, I've decided I much prefer being able to adjust my dose as I feel necessary. I've never gone above 35mg in a day in either form.